General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

acdcking12

Opinions on red meat consumption

Ok, just a quick one here

I eat tons of red meat. I have done that my whole life. (36 now)

I want to know if you can gain weight (fat) from eating red meat?

Now lets look beyond any health issues relating to eating red meat. I am only looking at the fat weight gain issue. I hear you can gain weight from red meat, and like the atkins diet focuses on protein, and low carbs...So...

Just want some of your opinions..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag

gaining weight/fat is about caloric excess, it doesnt matter where the calories come from.

acdcking12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaN383 View Post
gaining weight/fat is about caloric excess, it doesnt matter where the calories come from.

I can agree with that...

But I have heard that you dont typically count the calories from protein because you either absorb it for muscle growth or you simple pass it out what you dont use..

Gibonius

Sure you can gain fat from red meat. Atkins and such is a little bit of a different scenario, since you're generally in ketosis and you process calories differently. But if you're still eating carbs, the fat and protein from the meat will get processed as any other calories and you'll build fat if you have an excess of calories.

Quote:
But I have heard that you dont typically count the calories from protein because you either absorb it for muscle growth or you simple pass it out what you dont use..
I don't think anyone is very confident at how much protein you can process in one meal. It's not related to how much you'd need for muscle growth though, I don't think. Your body is going to absorb and burn however much it can and just store the excess.

Mayko

I'm not sure if it is the protein that makes red meat such a culprit for weight gain. High protein diets are normally very conducive to staying thin (e.g. turkey, chicken, fish... all of these are high protein). Red meat contains a high fat content, especially poor quality ground, and flavorful cuts like ribeyes. This is where your excess calories are going to come from, per gram fat contains much more calories (9/gram) than carbohydrate or protein (4 calories/gram)

yoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
I can agree with that...

There is no truth to that. Your body is a pretty damn efficient machine, its not going to shit out anything over 50gs of protein just because it feels like it. Its going to convert it and store it as something it can use for energy, or store for later... You count the calories for protein, every gram. Simple as that.

Retardedchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoj View Post
There is no truth to that. Your body is a pretty damn efficient machine, its not going to shit out anything over 50gs of protein just because it feels like it. Its going to convert it and store it as something it can use for energy, or store for later... You count the calories for protein, every gram. Simple as that.

This. If you don't need it, it will get stored as fat. Whether or not you need it depends on how many calories you need throughout the day. You could lose weight by eating nothing but ice cream if you really wanted to.

acdcking12

I guess the hard part is determining how many calories to consume and still lose weight...

code30

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
I guess the hard part is determining how many calories to consume and still lose weight...

it's really not that hard - find out your BMI, and any free website you google that can do that, can also usually tell you approx. how many calories to eat, based on the activity level of your lifestyle, or to get a more accurate representation, take a pedometer with you for a couple days, and if you do any major exercise, add that in there on top of your BMR until you have a relative picture of how many calories your body needs per day.

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories - so to lose 2 lbs per week, you need a 7000 calorie deficit (per week, about 1000 calories per day) Obviously the healthiest way to do that is by combination of diet and exercise.

acdcking12

Quote:
Originally Posted by code30 View Post
it's really not that hard - find out your BMI, and any free website you google that can do that, can also usually tell you approx. how many calories to eat, based on the activity level of your lifestyle, or to get a more accurate representation, take a pedometer with you for a couple days, and if you do any major exercise, add that in there on top of your BMR until you have a relative picture of how many calories your body needs per day.

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories - so to lose 2 lbs per week, you need a 7000 calorie deficit (per week, about 1000 calories per day) Obviously the healthiest way to do that is by combination of diet and exercise.

Well, I looked and they said that around 2500 calories per day is good...

I have been only eating around 1300-1500 per day not knowing how much to really eat..

Wondering if I have done more harm than good..

tHisFaItH

I was told by someone that we are supposed to eat protein throughout the day because our bodies use it immediately when eaten and whatever the body can't process is passed through.

artificialswedner
artificialswedener
[M]an Jaw

You just need to practice moderation. There are pros and cons to red meat, mostly depending on the type of meat you're eating. Red meat is packed with iron and other nutrients, but it can also be chock full of saturated fat and cholestoral, an excess of which can lead to heart disease. There have been a lot of studies done that indicate a relationship between excessive red meat consuption and certain cancers, but in my opinion that has more to do with overly processed, corn-fed, hormone injected beef than the actual red meat itself.

Lean meats are definitely going to be better for you (both for your waistline and health-wise). Choose the leanest ground beef you can and the leanest cuts. Buy grass-fed. Bison is a wonderful alternative, if a little pricey.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHisFaItH View Post
I was told by someone that we are supposed to eat protein throughout the day because our bodies use it immediately when eaten and whatever the body can't process is passed through.

Your body will metabolize protein for energy, just like carbs and fat.

You have to eat a LOT of protein to excrete it, and/or have kidney problems. It's pretty easy to notice, you start getting cloudy urine.

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHisFaItH View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Your body will metabolize protein for energy, just like carbs and fat.

Aye. As someone mentioned above, the human body has evolved innumerable mechanisms and biochemical pathways to allow it to survive the toughest of times. If your ancestors went around spilling protein during times of plenty, they would not survive the lean times and you wouldn't be here right now.

I was looking for another diagram but this will suffice for illustration purposes: this is a rough dynamic diagram of human metabolism. Note the many connections between amino acid (protein) metabolism and lipid (fat) metabolism (to address questions above regarding protein storage): generally speaking, the body is good at converting the raw materials into the various forms it needs for utilization or storage. You can see more detail by going to the pathway section of that website. But I don't recommend it, because it hurts the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib
You have to eat a LOT of protein to excrete it, and/or have kidney problems. It's pretty easy to notice, you start getting cloudy urine.

Yeah. A pure spilling of protein into urine (without red or white blood cells, bacteria, or a lot of casts from degrading kidney cells) will sometimes appear unusually frothy but otherwise normal in turbidity (just so nobody freaks out - some frothing of the urine is entirely normal and can also be due to the velocity the urine stream hits the water, etc).

Xtreme Panda

http://www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=7153072

Diets high in red meat and in processed meat shorten life span not just from cancer and heart disease but from Alzheimer's, stomach ulcers and an array of other conditions as well, a U.S. National Cancer Institute study has found.

In fact, reducing meat consumption to the amount eaten by the bottom 20 percent seen in the study would save 11 percent of men's lives and 16 percent of women's, according to the study.