General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Mayko
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
A question to you guys.

I have a 13 year old daughter. I certainly would have no objections to her dating someone outside of our race. (We are white).

I would welcome them, regardless of race. And if she wanted to live her life with this person, that would be fine with me as well, and would be welcomed into the family.

What I am held up on is if she were to marry someone outside of our race and wanted children. That would be much harder for me to accept..I find it hard to look at kids where they are brother and sister but they might not have the same color skin, or one might look like a completely different race than her sister.

Just seems strange to see that.

What does that make me? (And try and be nice, ok)

If you let her marry anyone while she is 13, that makes you a bad parent.

But joking aside, I see your point and I think even people who "don't have a problem" with it still feel weird when they see a family that is mixed or doesn't look uniform for some reason.

I think after you get to know someone and they become part of the family you see them in their offspring and being part of the family you don't really notice the difference like someone looking in from outside would. I have a cousin who married and had a kid with a black guy, and to me their son fits in the family just like anyone else, and so does her husband for that matter.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM Mayko is offline  
#76  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Aseras
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
What I am held up on is if she were to marry someone outside of our race and wanted children. That would be much harder for me to accept..I find it hard to look at kids where they are brother and sister but they might not have the same color skin, or one might look like a completely different race than her sister.

Just seems strange to see that.

What does that make me? (And try and be nice, ok)


There's plenty of situations where siblings don't look alike or have different traits. My sister has snow white skin and green eyes and reddish auburn hair.. I have dark Mediterranean/olive skin and brown eyes and brown hair. Many people still don't think we are related we look so different. If you saw us with our parents though you would see it. I look like our mom, she looks like our dad.

what does that make you? fear of the unknown? Who cares, they are still a human being and you should be proud to have grandkids. I'd settle for any kind of kid. As it is right now I can't have any.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:47 PM Aseras is offline  
#77  

Inf
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
 
Inf's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
A question to you guys.

I have a 13 year old daughter. I certainly would have no objections to her dating someone outside of our race. (We are white).

I would welcome them, regardless of race. And if she wanted to live her life with this person, that would be fine with me as well, and would be welcomed into the family.

What I am held up on is if she were to marry someone outside of our race and wanted children. That would be much harder for me to accept..I find it hard to look at kids where they are brother and sister but they might not have the same color skin, or one might look like a completely different race than her sister.

Just seems strange to see that.

What does that make me? (And try and be nice, ok)

It would probably make you normal. It's easy to intellectually get rid of racism, but the subject of offspring takes a whole lot more.
__________________
5160c711eb1a1fb416cb296cfa30d3c6
R.O.A.D.H.E.A.D
Removing Overt Anger, Desensitisation, and Hatred by Exercising Appropriate Discourse
koala coalition ftw!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM Inf is offline  
#78  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
A question to you guys.

I have a 13 year old daughter. I certainly would have no objections to her dating someone outside of our race. (We are white).

I would welcome them, regardless of race. And if she wanted to live her life with this person, that would be fine with me as well, and would be welcomed into the family.

What I am held up on is if she were to marry someone outside of our race and wanted children. That would be much harder for me to accept..I find it hard to look at kids where they are brother and sister but they might not have the same color skin, or one might look like a completely different race than her sister.

Just seems strange to see that.

What does that make me? (And try and be nice, ok)

I don't understand your problem - why do you worry that they will look different? Besides, they're gonna be you're grandchildren and you'll love them no matter what. Plus, it's probably unlikely that one will turn out stark white and the other will be jet black (assuming the father is black) - both will be mixed. Perhaps one will be a little darker/lighter than the other, but it won't be as big a contrast as you fear.
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM 5ive is offline  
#79  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
No comment on the F2 hybrid problem? Seems kinda important to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
#80  

ApathyEcstasy
yeah, different species of slanteye here
 
ApathyEcstasy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
No comment on the F2 hybrid problem? Seems kinda important to me.

well..first of all..EVEN ASSUMING it would cause problems..it wouldn't matter unless the F1 hybrid procreated with another F1 hybrid that had the exact same genetic background..and even then..there's no reason to believe that it's any more risky than a pure caucasian procreating with a pure caucasian

i'm pretty sure you're just propagating some random that some pseudo-intellectual spouted when it really isn't even a health risk

edit: infact, i recall learning about something directly related in biology recently, yeah, it's nothing but fyi

here's probably what happened..some racist/closet racist took a biology class..learned about f1 and f2 hybrid species and post-zygotic and pre-zygotic reproductive barriers between DIFFERENT SPECIES..misunderstand the concept entirely (since, as a racist/closet racist he probably already had a preconceived notion in his head of blacks whites asians hispanics being completely separate and only vaguely related to eachother, when actually we're 99.99% genetically related, some absurdly high figure like that)

edit2: conclusion, the f2 hybrid "theory" that someone spouted in this thread is complete and utter fucking nonsense....someone misunderstood a basic college biology class lecture....heard something interesting about the validity of hybrids..how sometimes even if two different species manage to reproduce...getting past the pre-zygotic reproductive barriers....that if a hybrid mates with another hybrid....that the 2nd generation hybrids sometimes won't be viable for continuing on and producing a 3rd generation..whether due to health, inability to survive in the environment..for whatever reason they're not "fit" to survive in that environment.......anyways..so this closet racist misunderstood or intentionally distorted the facts so he could validate his racism to other people without sounding like an ignorant stupid fucker
__________________
7.9%, Chinese growth has screeched to a halt! People
are going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to
fall!
8.1%, Chinese growth has over-heated! People are
going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to fall!

Last edited by ApathyEcstasy; 03-31-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM ApathyEcstasy is offline  
#81  

jamoan
 
i just wanna say thanks to the OP for not perpetuating that stupid close minded racist shit his parents seem to have ingrained in their thought processes.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:03 PM jamoan is offline  
#82  

omega_13
 
Thanks for everyones support, but things between me and the date kinda fizzled (reasons completely unrelated to race), and my parents (especially my mom) becoming more accepting of me possibly dating someone that isn't white.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 PM  
#83  

Frenetic
 
Frenetic's Avatar
 
I'm glad it worked out.

Edit: Sort of.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM Frenetic is offline  
#84  

ad hoc
 
for the record, I think mixed race are some of the most attractive men and women i've seen.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM ad hoc is offline  
#85  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
well..first of all..EVEN ASSUMING it would cause problems..it wouldn't matter unless the F1 hybrid procreated with another F1 hybrid that had the exact same genetic background..and even then..there's no reason to believe that it's any more risky than a pure caucasian procreating with a pure caucasian

i'm pretty sure you're just propagating some random that some pseudo-intellectual spouted when it really isn't even a health risk

edit: infact, i recall learning about something directly related in biology recently, yeah, it's nothing but fyi

here's probably what happened..some racist/closet racist took a biology class..learned about f1 and f2 hybrid species and post-zygotic and pre-zygotic reproductive barriers between DIFFERENT SPECIES..misunderstand the concept entirely (since, as a racist/closet racist he probably already had a preconceived notion in his head of blacks whites asians hispanics being completely separate and only vaguely related to eachother, when actually we're 99.99% genetically related, some absurdly high figure like that)

edit2: conclusion, the f2 hybrid "theory" that someone spouted in this thread is complete and utter fucking nonsense....someone misunderstood a basic college biology class lecture....heard something interesting about the validity of hybrids..how sometimes even if two different species manage to reproduce...getting past the pre-zygotic reproductive barriers....that if a hybrid mates with another hybrid....that the 2nd generation hybrids sometimes won't be viable for continuing on and producing a 3rd generation..whether due to health, inability to survive in the environment..for whatever reason they're not "fit" to survive in that environment.......anyways..so this closet racist misunderstood or intentionally distorted the facts so he could validate his racism to other people without sounding like an ignorant stupid fucker

Look buddy, I'm not trying to advance some sort of racist agenda here. The F2 hybrid problem is real and even a cursory google search of the term "outbreeding depression" will reveal what its all about.

(Oh, and don't even try to pretend you know anything about how genetic theory works. Your explanations were laughable at best.)
Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
#86  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
Look buddy, I'm not trying to advance some sort of racist agenda here. The F2 hybrid problem is real and even a cursory google search of the term "outbreeding depression" will reveal what its all about.

(Oh, and don't even try to pretend you know anything about how genetic theory works. Your explanations were laughable at best.)

Inbreeding depression is said to more than outweigh the effects of outbreeding depression. I have also never read anything that identified examples of outbreeding depression in humans whereas examples of inbreeding depression are uncommon but discernible.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 PM bingstudent is offline  
#87  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
Inbreeding depression is said to more than outweigh the effects of outbreeding depression.

I know the names probably confused you, but inbreeding depression is not the opposite of outbreeding depression. Inbreeding depression is what happens when strongly related individuals breed, producing offspring that possess multiple copies of deleterious alleles.

You see, everyone has some genes that aren't so good (either because of a mutation or a copying error), but thankfully most of the time people also have healthy copies of those genes. These healthy copies can usually make up for the bad ones. Strongly related individuals (such as parents and offspring, siblings), often share these "bad" genes and so when they breed, you end up with offspring that have two copies of the bad genes and no healthy copies. Thus, they have problems.

Outbreeding depression is a whole other ballgame. It has to do with the fact that distinct populations often develop a set of well-adapted genes that the entire population shares. And these sets differ between populations. When you start mixing populations, you start shuffling two or more sets of well-adapted genes around. This can mean that the F1 hybrid (first offspring) has the best of both worlds, having two sets of well adapted genes. But meiosis, the heart of sexual reproduction, presents a problem for the F2s (the next generation). Essentially, in meiosis (which produces the sperm or egg) parts of one set of genes switches places with parts of the other set of genes - a process called recombination. So what you end up with is single gene strands (chromosomes) that are made up of what used to be two different sets and these mixed strands get passed down to the F2s. Why is that problem? Because what made the sets good was all the genes working in concert. The first half of a set, for instance, might only have been adaptive because the other half made a protein that interacted with its proteins. So suddenly we have a situation where genes that have never been next to each other or even on the same line are now supposed to work together to do whatever it is that they do.

As you can well imagine, the results are not always good.

Quote:
I have also never read anything that identified examples of outbreeding depression in humans whereas examples of inbreeding depression are uncommon but discernible.
It's a well known occurrence in dog breeding, where you'll often have breeds that are even more closely related than some of the human races. Also anybody who works in a zoo, a captive breeding center, or with livestock is well aware of this problem.

I'm not actually sure why there haven't been any studies on it in humans. It could be that researchers are afraid of studying it, since it could lead to accusations of racism. It could also be that the prevelance of mixed race families hasn't been high enough until very recently and only now are we starting to see 2nd generation mixed-race children. Or maybe there is research on the subject, but it's hidden away in medical journals I don't have access to (I suppose Arjuna could let us know if that were true).

EDIT: Here's a picture of what I'm talking about in regards to meiosis and recombination.

http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/6927.jpg

Last edited by Fuckyouformakingmeregister; 04-05-2009 at 11:24 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
#88  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_13 View Post
So, I'm 18, and my senior prom is coming up. Recently I asked a girl I know to it, she is black, I'm white. I thought nothing of it, I've known her for a few years, always thought she kinda liked me. Well, I told my parents last night, and my mom went off the deep end on the whole thing. According to her I'm turning my back on my family and my race, she doesn't want prom pictures because the rest of my family would be ashamed, she claims that I'll be braded a traitor to my race forever. I didn't see this coming at all, both parents are very tolerant (at least I thought so) to black people as well as other races. Their words: "I'm ok with you having black friends, but dating is where I draw the line". I'm happy with my decision but I'm still torn up about my family. Are they right about this? I live in central Ohio if that makes a difference here.

Familys tend to have old values they grow up on that won't leave. I mean, rightfully so I'm not about to get into a race arguement, but lets just leave it at the fact that black people haven't exactly become role model citizens after being freed.

My father told me a similar story, he grew up playing ball in the street with neighbors etc.. and one day bought a black friend in. This was when my dad was early ages im guessing 10-14? Doesn't matter - he brought him in to have a drink or something and when his friend left my grandfather chewed his butt out "Dont you ever bring a n***** in here!". Some people call it ignorance, but it's just the way you grew up to be honest, and adjusting to something like that is REALLY a lot tougher than you can imagine, especially when like I said, black people aren't exactly known for being role model citizens (in general, for god sakes that doesn't mean stereotyping).
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
#89  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Familys tend to have old values they grow up on that won't leave. I mean, rightfully so I'm not about to get into a race arguement, but lets just leave it at the fact that black people haven't exactly become role model citizens after being freed.

My father told me a similar story, he grew up playing ball in the street with neighbors etc.. and one day bought a black friend in. This was when my dad was early ages im guessing 10-14? Doesn't matter - he brought him in to have a drink or something and when his friend left my grandfather chewed his butt out "Dont you ever bring a n***** in here!". Some people call it ignorance, but it's just the way you grew up to be honest, and adjusting to something like that is REALLY a lot tougher than you can imagine, especially when like I said, black people aren't exactly known for being role model citizens (in general, for god sakes that doesn't mean stereotyping).

Let me guess, you get all your information from the media? What a
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM 5ive is offline  
#90  

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.