General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mainbrotha

I still don't understand how you can say that you can't do bent-over rows but you can do a much more complex and technically demanding movement like a pendlay row. I don't buy really buy it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toofache View Post
Wide Grip Pull Ups (whats the diff. between wide and close grip?)

Wide grip works your lats more, close grip is more of a general back workout.

Retardedchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Close grip also will involve biceps more IIRC. You can face your palms towards you to work them even more.

I am positive I didn't gain any muscle mass while on Rippetoe's/cutting, simply because I wasn't eating enough. I was eating around 2200cal/day, with a maintenance around 2700-2750. I know my numbers are pretty low, I've only been lifting for less than 5 months now, and only the first couple were from Rippetoe's. I also pulled a muscle in my lower back less than a month ago, so I had to take a few weeks off from squatting/deadlifting.

Again, I'm not saying you WON'T gain mass while doing lower reps, you just gain more from ~6-12, due to the increased muscular microtrauma.

To the OP, how do you do "Pendlay style" one armed rows and not irritate your back? From what I have felt, bent over rows put less stress on my lower back than Pendlay rows.

Toofache

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbrotha View Post
I still don't understand how you can say that you can't do bent-over rows but you can do a much more complex and technically demanding movement like a pendlay row. I don't buy really buy it.

I rest my hand and knee on a bench and do a 1-arm pendlay row. Basically, my weight isn't supported at all by my back. I guess I never mentioned that I use a bench. It still hurts my back a little bit, but its not bad at all. Especially considering what a bent barbell row/bent barbell pendlay row is like.

Retardedchicken

Quote:
I rest my hand and knee on a bench and do a 1-arm pendlay row. Basically, my weight isn't supported at all by my back. I guess I never mentioned that I use a bench. It still hurts my back a little bit, but its not bad at all. Especially considering what a bent barbell row/bent barbell pendlay row is like.

I forget what the machine is, but there is one where you are lying on an incline on your stomach and you row that way, that would be a good one to try out if your gym has the machine.

Technically you should be deloading after every rep for Pendlay rows, since the motion is more of an explosive one. Check exrx.net if you want to find more back exercises that don't involve your lower back as a major stabilizer.

Toofache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

So with that being said, would you recommend doing close on Tuesday and wide on Friday? Or does it not matter enough?

Plus I do chin ups, which are close grip, so I guess that covers it either way, right?

Gibonius

Quote:
Plus I do chin ups, which are close grip, so I guess that covers it either way, right?

Pretty much, yeah.