General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Foolioq

Dark Souls

A little late, but does anyone else play this?

I spent 8 hours in the Catacombs before I realized/researched that I should be in Undead Burg. I got pretty good at killing skeletons but was wondering if it was really supposed to be this hard derp

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

There's no real place to be at any certain time, but if you're being severely overpowered, there are probably easier places to be (though most boss fights will be challenging no matter what, until you figure out the tricks).

But yes, catacombs is pretty high level, considering you haven't been to the Burg yet.

There is a level of grinding required in the game, though, until/unless you get particularly skilled at the twitch elements.

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

Foolioq

Yeah, I've sunk about 30 hours into this game and its pretty fucking fun. Haven't had to grind too much, and the only boss I've have any real trouble against is the great grey wolf Sif

Artesial

I actually just picked this game up yesterday because I had a $20 gift certificate to Best Buy and it was on sale for $20 so figured why not. Can't wait to play a bunch this weekend!

illig

damn game gives me nervous tremors due to lack of a pause function

i need a pause to relax dammit!

Foolioq

I started off as a Wanderer, but I read the easiest classes are Knight or Pyromancer.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
I started off as a Wanderer, but I read the easiest classes are Knight or Pyromancer.
Knight is easy because you can get armor with a lot of poise and not have to worry about dodging (and can cast healing spells or drink estus flasks uninterrupted). Pyromancer is easy because you have early access to powerful spells that aren't dependent on levels.

But that's only if you level them the way that they're "meant" to be leveled. You can easily turn a Wanderer into a tanky spellcaster. I started Wanderer and I've got high DEX and END with some FTH so that I can cast some miracles. I think Wanderer has an easy time going INT rather than FTH though, since it already starts with 11 INT (as opposed to 9 FTH).

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLiberator View Post
Knight is easy because you can get armor with a lot of poise and not have to worry about dodging (and can cast healing spells or drink estus flasks uninterrupted). Pyromancer is easy because you have early access to powerful spells that aren't dependent on levels.

But that's only if you level them the way that they're "meant" to be leveled. You can easily turn a Wanderer into a tanky spellcaster. I started Wanderer and I've got high DEX and END with some FTH so that I can cast some miracles. I think Wanderer has an easy time going INT rather than FTH though, since it already starts with 11 INT (as opposed to 9 FTH).

If you really want to mix max take a look at all the classes and add up starting points and minus 1 for each level. What I mean is you notice some classes start as level 3 or 4 so if their strength score is 13 or 14, it's more like strength 10. Pyro starts as level 1, another reason why stat wise it's so good. If you go through this exercise it basically boils down to two classes. If you're going to be dex based, wanderer, str based, bandit. Also, interesting note about strength. When you 2 hand a weapon it not only multiplies your str requirement by 1.5, but your actual str score. Diminishing returns begin at 40 str or dex so you can actually reach that point with just 27 str if you plan on 2 handing the entire time. My last build was going to be 27 str, 40 int for a homing soul mass, greater crystal weapon, zweihander build but since it was my 5th time playing I kind of lost interest half way through.