General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SPYderBra

How to buy an used car from a private party in California?

So I need to buy an used car, I understand a bit of auto to know if the car is good or if it is crap.

What I dont know is how do I pay (should I pay in cash, check, bank transfer), check for debts (fines and taxes) and what should I receive from the seller when I pay him.

If I dont want to buy a salvage car what is the best way to make sure it is clean?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

you give them cash

they give you title + keys

Triple B

you need a smog certificate

I believe salvage titles are clearly labeled (guessing)

not sure about the debts, suppose you could finalize the transaction at the DMV. A seller not willing to meet there should be a warning sign

aoeoae

an oosed car

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

don't have to do cash, that can be risky. best/safest is to go to a local branch of your bank, take out a cashiers check from that bank with the seller nearby, hand them the cashiers check.

carfax... I mean... really who gives a shit? you're buying a jalopy that you're going to drive into the ground, not resell. You can pay like fifty bucks for a small number of reports, or you can ask around on facebook groups, there are people out there who can run reports (dealerships pay for unlimited accounts.) What you really need to do properly, and not gloss over is to have a pre purchase inspection done. Get a basic one done by any shop, a gas station service depot, whatever... That will be far more valuable, waaaay better use of that $50... and will do a much better job of helping you avoid disaster than a Carfax.

Can watch youtube videos on how to do some basic checking out yourself, if it looks good enough to you, then take it to a shop.

As a buyer, you don't really need to do much of anything. Just insure it ASAP (you have 2wk grace period i believe) and get to the DMV or AAA and get it regged in your name. Seller needs to worry about doing "release of liability" etc etc. Seller should cover the smog. If it doesn't pass smog, I wouldn't buy it. Just walk away if he tries to negotiate a discount if it won't pass, and he wants you to deal with it...

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 01-01-2017 at 09:10 AM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

BORKED

aoeoae

pre-purchase inspection can be pretty hard to setup if either of you works a day job. IMO you can judge the car by the owner to a large degree. has his shit together, a decent job, not a car flipper, or has a family, he's probably been on the ball with upkeep of his stuff. this is also somewhat CA specific, since cars last forever out here.