General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I've never understood this. What's the draw to drinking yourself into oblivion? I've NEVER done it, been drunk enough to puke plenty of times, but blacking out? That requires a certain dedication to self-destruction, willful even. And it sucks. I've never met anyone that enjoys having blacked out the night before (and the subsequent feelings the next day), but people still brag about it and go black out against the next weekend.

Just boggles my mind.

You mistunderstand the term 'black out'. People mistakenly interpret this as literally blacking out from alcohol consumption when in reality, the term largely defines drinking so much you cannot remember portions of the night.

Black out drunk
I got black out mode last night

The lights go out, its dark.. meaning your memory moreso than "I fainted". I think only a true hazard to society drinks themselves into a fainting stuper. In which I would agree that makes no sense. However at 29, with most of my drunken years behind me .. if I so much as have 5-6 drinks now? I 'black out' ... signifying that you cross into the realm of forgetfulness. Fully functional, but Will Smith memory flashed your ass before bed.

Its a loose term, so more opinionated than anything but it took me getting to about 27 before I finally understood what people meant all those years. I too used to think black out meant, fainting.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
You mistunderstand the term 'black out'. People mistakenly interpret this as literally blacking out from alcohol consumption when in reality, the term largely defines drinking so much you cannot remember portions of the night.

Black out drunk
I got black out mode last night

The lights go out, its dark.. meaning your memory moreso than "I fainted". I think only a true hazard to society drinks themselves into a fainting stuper. In which I would agree that makes no sense. However at 29, with most of my drunken years behind me .. if I so much as have 5-6 drinks now? I 'black out' ... signifying that you cross into the realm of forgetfulness. Fully functional, but Will Smith memory flashed your ass before bed.

Its a loose term, so more opinionated than anything but it took me getting to about 27 before I finally understood what people meant all those years. I too used to think black out meant, fainting.

Argue semantics all you want, but still, what is the point of drinking until you forget what happened? We've all heard and read countless stories of people doing stupid shit when they're drunk that they learn about later and obviously regret, sometimes cheating and/or sleeping with someone they shouldn't have, driving drunk, etc. It's just stupid, and no matter what you call it, there's no point to it and certainly no reason to justify it. .

Then again I'm a skinny bastard that tends to turn food into poop faster than most. - :ninja:

Night Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Um, so she got smashed and threw up once and all of a sudden you sit down, analyze her life, upbringing, speak to friends teachers and now internet strangers about how to change her destructive lifestyle?

1. You bitter she ran off with another guy.
2. Theres nothing wrong with her, it was a wild night.
3. Shit happens.

I know you mean well but I read your post as some kind of high and mighty white knight riding in on a horse to save the broken girl. Newsflash, in the time it took me to type this response 500 other young adults threw up on a guy they ditched at party. Does she have issues? Perhaps, but so do you.. me, and just about everyone reading this. Nobody is perfect and I didn't see anywhere where she was begging for someone to fix her.

Ooblah dee, ooblah da, life goes on...

I got over the bitterness phase after my friends took me out the week after to help me cheer up. Needless to say, out of eight people, six got shitfaced, five threw up, and one got detained by the police. Kinda realized that EVERYBODY does it at some time or another. Really, like I've said, I just want to understand why. I've tried calling her up and trying to talk to her, but she hasn't been picking up or willing to talk- Weird because I haven't brought any of this "white knight stuff" up around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
Don't waste another second on her. Friend or relationship-wise. It doesn't sound like you've known her for long, so there's no reason to be loyal. Don't try to help her. Don't try to fix her, don't do anything but walk away. I would say your teacher was spot on. Having known/dated girls like this...they were either severely depressed and/or victims or rape/sexual abuse when they were younger. And they will never "get better" unfortunately.

I've known her for a very long time, just not this closely until recently. I could see the relationship part of which you speak, but dropping her completely out of my life just seems like a huge overreaction. I've done it with others before, and such things have always ended disastrously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Bullshit. If this was about more than just sex and he genuinely cared for her well being as a friend/boyfriend, he'd be talking to her face to face about it. Not posting on a 95% male internet forum that's just gonna tell him what he wants to hear. And defiantly not jumping to conclusions like fucking alcoholism. Jesus Christ, shes an 18 year girl. It's called experimentation. Not everybody has to live their live exactly like you do.

The OP should read a story called "The Fox and the Grapes". Or maybe you already have, since this whole thing reads a lot like that fable.

I have tried talking face to face. She's not willing to talk to me in any form, and we haven't talked since that night. But I do feel like the fox. It's only now that I've been reminded that there are other grapes on other vines, so to speak.

fat asian chick

uh, some people just like to get drunk and dont give a fuck about what they do. i used to be like this. i would drink to the point of blacking out about 3 times a week, i did lots of stupid shit and and slept (with a lot of questionable girls. i even ruined a long term relationship because of it. i don't regret any of it because it made me see the type of person i dont want to be for the long haul. you cant make her realize this. only she can do it fro herslef

edit: also you should stop worrying about this shit because no one else does. who the fuck cares

Last edited by fat asian chick; 06-25-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Night Black

So it's been weeks since it happened, and this is the first time ever in my life that I've gotten over something like this so easily. I've been occupying my time with work, the gym. I'm on track to be in the best shape of my life, and I've been meeting a lot of women recently, after being forced into it by my friends for, as they call it "your own fucking sake."

Originally, I wanted to find out why it happened. Just try and understand it, maybe fix what needed to be fixed. Then it became clear that I'd be stuck forever with her as a priority while she saw me as an option, so to speak. It wasn't worth it. Last I heard, she tried to commit DUI or something. Haven't heard anything since then, haven't cared if I did.

Glory Hallelujah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Black View Post
So it's been weeks since it happened, and this is the first time ever in my life that I've gotten over something like this so easily. I've been occupying my time with work, the gym. I'm on track to be in the best shape of my life, and I've been meeting a lot of women recently, after being forced into it by my friends for, as they call it "your own fucking sake."

Originally, I wanted to find out why it happened. Just try and understand it, maybe fix what needed to be fixed. Then it became clear that I'd be stuck forever with her as a priority while she saw me as an option, so to speak. It wasn't worth it. Last I heard, she tried to commit DUI or something. Haven't heard anything since then, haven't cared if I did.

Right on. There is just no helping some people and you'll only be miserable if you try.

Foolioq

Quote:

Any good ones?

Night Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
Any good ones?

Plenty of girls willing to drop their panties, but none that I've hooked up. I mean, they're hot, but not exactly the smartest... by far. I guess I'm into the girls that show smarts/intelligence, I guess. Somebody you can actually talk to without trying to dumb yourself down. Where would one go to meet those?

Foolioq

Quote:
Plenty of girls willing to drop their panties, but none that I've hooked up. I mean, they're hot, but not exactly the smartest... by far. I guess I'm into the girls that show smarts/intelligence, I guess. Somebody you can actually talk to without trying to dumb yourself down. Where would one go to meet those?

In the right places of College

Night Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
In the right places of College

Well... yeah, but universities/colleges are pretty much out for the summer. Anywhere else?

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Well... yeah, but universities/colleges are pretty much out for the summer. Anywhere else?

summer classes usually bring out the high achievers of the group, the smarts of the smarties

also empty college towns are fun as fuck in the summer

fat asian chick

Quote:

You can meet girls like this..... fucking anywhere man come on. Smart girls like to go to the bar, go to parties, or pretty much be anywhere you are going to be. Just talk to them