General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

school me on chevy v8's

Ok, so - my dad is a sadomasachist, we picked up a 2002 silverado that we never were able to get running. Sold the truck as-is for a $300 profit. Not bad, lesson learned - don't buy GM.

Then, he called to tell me that he picked up a 99 Yukon. Great. Also didn't run, but ended up replacing the starter and it started right up. Drove it down the street, parked it in the driveway - then it shot a piston into the concrete. Awesome.

I've had a SBC350 with 60K out of a 99 Astro DEA van for a while - could I just swap in the pistons/crank/etc after I get everything back from the machinist?

What other engines would be a drop in? There's an LT1 locally for $550, but it's out of a 95.
Do the OBD2 stuffs swap over from the newer motors into the older ones?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Why is your dad buying these to start with?

If the goal is to flip it for a profit he should already know all this stuff

ScHpAnKy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Why is your dad buying these to start with?

If the goal is to flip it for a profit he should already know all this stuff

because my dad is a combination of shitty bill and drunk ray from the trailer park boys - he is pretty much a junk car hoarder. Fortunately, we/I've been able to get all of them running and flipped, but the GM POS cars just don't want to cooperate. I told him that this is the last GM product that will ever grace either the lower or upper driveways. I just want it running so we can get rid of it.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Sounds like he needs an intervention

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

I hear they have eight cylinders

gribly

I'd swap engines and re-use all the sensors from the Yukon. If the motor shit out a piston, what the fuck happened to the block? You're either not describing something right or completely out of your mind.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Donate to mythbusters

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Make it into a giant pressure cooker

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Yes, it is one of the last production Gen-I motors (IE: SBC 350ci). The LT1 is a Gen-II motor and is not fully compatible, without additional work. The rotating assembly between the two would be compatible, but SBC's are cheap -- just get a running Gen-I from a junk yard and bolt all the external bits on to it from the Yukon's motor.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Then sell it FAST before it launches another piston

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

jm8881

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
I'd swap engines and re-use all the sensors from the Yukon. If the motor shit out a piston, what the fuck happened to the block? You're either not describing something right or completely out of your mind.

This. Also it would be tough as shit to shoot a piston through the crankshaft and pan and into the concrete.

There was never an Astro that came factory with anything other than a 2.5 i4 or a 4.3 v6, but I'm not sure what a dea astro is. So if some kind of swap was done you'll have to check the block numbers.

Since the yukon would have one of the last gen 1 v8's in it you'll have a different crank (one to accomodate a crank shaft position sensor) and a roller cam and other supporting roller cam items. You won't just be able to swap sensors and drop it in.

Also sbc's are cheap as balls. Just go to the junkyard and pull one from a truck that's smashed so that you know it didn't go to the jy because of the engine.

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
Ok, so - my dad is a sadomasachist, we picked up a 2002 silverado that we never were able to get running. Sold the truck as-is for a $300 profit. Not bad, lesson learned - don't buy GM.

Then, he called to tell me that he picked up a 99 Yukon. Great. Also didn't run, but ended up replacing the starter and it started right up. Drove it down the street, parked it in the driveway - then it shot a piston into the concrete. Awesome.

I've had a SBC350 with 60K out of a 99 Astro DEA van for a while - could I just swap in the pistons/crank/etc after I get everything back from the machinist?

What other engines would be a drop in? There's an LT1 locally for $550, but it's out of a 95.
Do the OBD2 stuffs swap over from the newer motors into the older ones?

LSx or go home

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Table View Post
LSx or go home

Seems worth it... pour money into it out of love, take a small loss...

ScHpAnKy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post

block no good, giant hole, no worky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Yes, it is one of the last production Gen-I motors (IE: SBC 350ci). The LT1 is a Gen-II motor and is not fully compatible, without additional work. The rotating assembly between the two would be compatible, but SBC's are cheap -- just get a running Gen-I from a junk yard and bolt all the external bits on to it from the Yukon's motor.

this is along the lines of what i needed to know, thx sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
This. Also it would be tough as shit to shoot a piston through the crankshaft and pan and into the concrete.

There was never an Astro that came factory with anything other than a 2.5 i4 or a 4.3 v6, but I'm not sure what a dea astro is. So if some kind of swap was done you'll have to check the block numbers.

Since the yukon would have one of the last gen 1 v8's in it you'll have a different crank (one to accomodate a crank shaft position sensor) and a roller cam and other supporting roller cam items. You won't just be able to swap sensors and drop it in.

Also sbc's are cheap as balls. Just go to the junkyard and pull one from a truck that's smashed so that you know it didn't go to the jy because of the engine.

technically a rod, but yeah, theres a giant hole in the block/oilpan and oil/coolant all over muh driveway, booo
looks like a junkyard motor is our best bet, then we are selling this fucker so we can focus on the bav-rods

edit: so to clarify, i guess its not an astro- it was a "DEA chevy van" as in like, the failed war against drugs agency, i just assumed van = astro

with that said - what year and model chevy pickups have motors that will be compatible with the mounts and electronics from the yukon? the junkyard has literally half of the yard full of the fuckers

Last edited by ScHpAnKy; 05-03-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Tex Arcana

SBF or go home

--John Hobbs