General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

IMHO the whole idea of a "mancave" is pretty insulting. My entire house is my man-cave; and that doesn't mean i hang gaudy/stupid/tasteless shit with sport symbolism and Italian gangsters everywhere.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
"Mancave" is one of the most insulting words I've ever heard refer to a workshop.

Well, yours isn't precisely a "cave"...

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
"Mancave" is one of the most insulting words I've ever heard refer to a workshop.

Yea, not a big fan of it; quite the sub-man verbiage in my opinion.

Tex, thy ask, thy shall receive! Lots of pics, even shitty snaps of the original plans. I intend to have those digitally scanned rather soon; unfortunately I don't have anything at home that can scan as large as A1/D.

General Area

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Details

DopefishLives

:Vehicle Fitment:

DopefishLives

ocumentation:

I was excited to find the concrete work done properly. I'm sure 6" concrete would be better for a lift but since the idea of one is many years away or non-existent, I'm not bothered. Also looks like there will be plenty of room, even with my lazy parking job...

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Insulate your hot pipes

And wtf is that red changing screen for? Is it "embarrassing" to have a water heater in the garage?

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Insulate your hot pipes

And wtf is that red changing screen for? Is it "embarrassing" to have a water heater in the garage?

DopefishLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Insulate your hot pipes

It is lazy, and ugly. The only thing holding it up is a run of twine around the water holding tank. That thing will be going away for sure. Plan is to put the air compressor next to the treatment tanks, frame it all in and add storage above.

DopefishLives

Met with some stand-up guys tonight to talk options for the floor. After a bit of dialogue, we are looking at an expensive yet long-lasting finish in one of the two colors below. We're leaning toward the green as it would compliment some other items we have in mind for the garage.

It'll be an epoxy base coat, lots of flakes and then cleared with a urethane top-coat.

Last edited by DopefishLives; 05-23-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Get me bettering of your panels and breakers, please, as well as the breaker lists on the doors. If I saw it right, the second (sub?) panel has a fuckton of 15A breakers--why?? Odd, if you ask me.

Also, is there an outbuilding with electric?? I see a line on the plan headed off the pic.

Lighting is severely compromised. Consider 8'/4-tube T8 fixtures, with an eye to upgrade to LED in the future.

There is a two-post temp lift system that you put in improved pads in the floor, with sockets for the bolts, that can be detached and rolled to the corner. Gives you about 4-5' of lift, and can handle a full-size pickup or SUV.

Very nice find and snag, bro. I am jelly.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

DopefishLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Get me bettering of your panels and breakers, please, as well as the breaker lists on the doors. If I saw it right, the second (sub?) panel has a fuckton of 15A breakers--why?? Odd, if you ask me.

Also, is there an outbuilding with electric?? I see a line on the plan headed off the pic.

Lighting is severely compromised. Consider 8'/4-tube T8 fixtures, with an eye to upgrade to LED in the future.

There is a two-post temp lift system that you put in improved pads in the floor, with sockets for the bolts, that can be detached and rolled to the corner. Gives you about 4-5' of lift, and can handle a full-size pickup or SUV.

Very nice find and snag, bro. I am jelly.

Sure -- I'll make note of them when I'm there tomorrow. The plans specify a 150A service into the home, which seems a bit small (the last property had a 200A service into each building). I think the 15A circuits are receptacles and lighting; I would have done 20A circuits for those, but I was taught to overbuild everything when possible.

Yes, there is a metal-halide lamp in the back yard as well as a roughly 10'x10' shed with 120v service coming into it

Lighting will definitely change, currently there are three T12 fixtures and four incandescent lamps inside the garage door motors. I plan to run exposed conduit along the ceiling to increase the fluorescent fixture count to six, with T8 lamps for higher efficiency.

I really like the drive on lifts with bridge jacks (like those used for alignment racks), but I'll be fine with a good low-profile jack for the next several years. I think I've seen the ones you are talking about, they are pretty nifty.

Thanks, I'm still trying to get use to it myself.

DopefishLives

Running Cat5e tomorrow throughout the house; two drops in each room plus a pull-chord for future growth.

Found details on resistances...

5400 Clear
-------------------
Chemical Resistance
Tests Done at 70 Degrees
-------------------
Acetone No Effect
Xylene No Effect
10% HCL Faint Spotting
Ammonia No Effect
Degreaser Faint Spotting
Liquid Plummer No Effect
Vinegar Faint Spotting
Clorox No Effect
Windex No Effect
UV Resistance Excellent
Motor Oil No Effect
Non Yellowing Excellent
Gasoline No Effect
Abrasion Resistance Excellent
Hot Tire Excellent

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

IMO the blue/white looks better.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Sure -- I'll make note of them when I'm there tomorrow. The plans specify a 150A service into the home, which seems a bit small (the last property had a 200A service into each building). I think the 15A circuits are receptacles and lighting; I would have done 20A circuits for those, but I was taught to overbuild everything when possible.

Yes, there is a metal-halide lamp in the back yard as well as a roughly 10'x10' shed with 120v service coming into it

Lighting will definitely change, currently there are three T12 fixtures and four incandescent lamps inside the garage door motors. I plan to run exposed conduit along the ceiling to increase the fluorescent fixture count to six, with T8 lamps for higher efficiency.

I really like the drive on lifts with bridge jacks (like those used for alignment racks), but I'll be fine with a good low-profile jack for the next several years. I think I've seen the ones you are talking about, they are pretty nifty.

Thanks, I'm still trying to get use to it myself.

Start with the 8' T8 fixtures using 4' bulbs, run them straight across the spaces, ending at the attic access. Butt them together if you can, and if you need to, offset them from the ceiling boxes and feed that power to ceiling receptacles for 4' shop lights above workbenches, and place those as close to the wall/ceiling junctions as possible, so you don't block light when you bend over your work.

150A is definitely wimpy. Find out how far that run is, that may be a limiting factor in upgrading the service to something useful.

What's the amp rating to the shed, and how far away is it? Might be a useful place for a compressor.

--John Hobbs