General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

donniedoritos

How to: Simple generic sushi at home

Decided to make some sushi at home after reading this. Sf_J has some good tips posted in that one http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php...5#post24182495

$10 in salmon
$11 in tuna
miso soup mix
sliced ginger
masago
very firm tofu
cucumber
fake crab
wasabi
rice vinegar
seaweed wraps
guacamole
Came out to ~$44, fed 5 people with still some extra left. Got these all at a nearby japanese market. They had a bunch of other stuff like octopus, eel and fancy stuff like urchins

Everything prepped up. Top left you can see the tofu (they have soft, medium and very firm. I bought very firm for the miso soup), sliced ginger is in the middle and masago is on top of that. On the board you can see sliced lengthwise cucumber, fake crab meat, salmon, and tuna. Off to the side is sliced gaucamole, miso soup mix, etc

I used everyday white rice for the sushi. Stir in a little rice vinegar with the rice in a bowl, and it comes out a little sticky

Heres how I cut up the tofu in cubes for the soup. It's green cause there is guacamole residue still on the knife. Cut it through the middle like shown standing up

Lay it on its side and start cutting in one way

Turn it around and start cutting it the other way in a grid pattern. Size is up to you, I cut them in roughly 2x2cm blocks

Keep the box that tofu came in unless you're planning on using it all. Drop it on top of the cut tofu and flip the cutting board over. I just throw this in the fridge and take out x amount of tofu for the group over the next couple of days when I'm hungry for soup

Prep. I like to cut everything in long sticks, make rolling a lot easier

If you have a nice counter top, just drop saran wrap and make the sushi on top. Easy and fast clean up. Another way is to use a cutting board and wrap that in saran wrap. I just throw everything on the table for easy access

Easiest way to apply rice to the seaweed for me is with my hands, don't bother using a rice scooper, it's too cumbersome. Just make sure to dip your hands in water before you touch the rice and reapply when ever the rice starts sticking to your hands. Mash the rice evenly over the seaweed with your hands. I cover the entire seaweed, sometimes I only do half. My rolls are pretty generic so I just toss in tuna or salmon, fake crab, gaucamole, masago, and a cucumber

I don't like eel, but sometimes I buy it if anyone requests it and I buy the sauce in a jar. If I have time I usually have tempura shrimp to throw in the rolls too

Bamboo sheet helps for tight rolls, but it's not necessary. Your rolls might be a little flimsy and loose without it

Dunzo. I prefer the types of rolls on the right with the rice on the outside. You just flip the seaweed/rice over and cover up the bamboo sheet with saran wrap so the rice doesn't stick to the bamboo. Apply masago over the top with a spoon and press it in with your hands

If you rolled the sushi tight, it should be easy to cut. Usually the ends are hard to cut cause it's not as packed as the middle. A sharp knife helps a lot. To stop the rice from sticking or manhandling the rolls, wash a little bit of water over the knife every few cuts. If your roll looks like shit, just eat it like a burrito and try again

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ilikeandross
HOLY FUCK I AM A FUCKING FAGGOT - love spoonage

looks tasty. i also believe that you should use a different kind of rice for sushi. short grained rice is naturally more sticky and might work better but it seems to have worked out for you.

and nice knife, and arms

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

awesome thread, but i swear i scrolled too quickly and saw just your hands and thought you were a chick for a second they are pretty!

MooK

Avocado*

I like to press tofu, between a cutting board and two heavy books and then lightly steam it. It makes for a much better texture IMO.

Forever Domon

nice thread, thanks for posting, looks good as always

hider

I need to try this!!!

frontpage this!!

donniedoritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
awesome thread, but i swear i scrolled too quickly and saw just your hands and thought you were a chick for a second they are pretty!
I work at a salon, can't have ugly hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
Avocado*
I like to press tofu, between a cutting board and two heavy books and then lightly steam it. It makes for a much better texture IMO.
I dunno why I put guacamole. I don't like the way tofu feels unless it's fried

trumpcard

Quote:

Hmm so it wasn't just me

OP's hands and the way he handles the knife and goods comes across as very effeminate. I thought I was looking at the hands of a well-kept butch chick....

Social Misfit
pwned

Thats some fine looking bait you got there.

odd
I make it rain on them hoes.

Cannot really call it Sushi since you did not use Sushi rice.

Looks good though.
Only users lose drugs

goatrape

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd View Post

Looks good though.

sushi rice is just short grain rice.

Runding

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd View Post

OP: Thanks for the post. One thing I hate is getting crappy fish. Is there anything you can recommend so I don't go out and buy a bunch of crappy fish I'm going to end up not wanting to eat raw? ie Color/Feel/any signs I should look for in good fish?

Singingstallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape View Post
sushi rice is just short grain rice.

I believe there is some sort of vinegar or other flavoring in the rice.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:

I was gonna say the same thing.

apextual
RMTC is the only man that can handle my tits!

just because this has been frontpaged, i thought you might like to know that you're using an avocado, and not guacamole. guacamole is a mexican dip made from avocado using tomatoes and other spices. i wouldn't want that in my sushi.