General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

godofcheese

Freeze Distillation

I have been following brewdog's trek into huge beers using freeze distillation and thinking, I can do this.

Ok, caveat before we get started. This is LEGAL! The ATF has said multiple times that this legal. There is no still involved. There is no boiling of fluids involved. All we are doing is freeze concentrating the liquid. The only time the ATF will become involved is when you start trying to sell this without paying the correct taxes.

SO! Lets get started. First you will need something to freeze that has alcohol in it. The higher the ABV the better. I had some left over apfelwein so I decided to use that. Its is about 10% right now.

Pour some into a freezable container, and freeze it!

After a few hours, shake it to break up the ice, and freeze it some more. The water will freeze leaving behind a concentrated version of what you started with.

Strain out the ice

Your left with ALLOT less. This is after 3 strain/refreezes.

You will noticed that after the first freeze, more stuff gets trapped in the ice each time.

SO, I ended up with about 12oz of fluid that would not freeze anymore. I started out with 48oz. How does it taste you might ask?

FOUL! DO NOT CONCENTRATE APFELWEIN. Its like the driest white wine I have ever had with a few shots of vodka in it. Quite nasty. I think I will bottle this up and let it age a bit, and then give it to someone else.

I do see great potential here though. With the correct beverage to start with, this could be a incredible way to build up stronger flavors. The added abv is just a bonus.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

demosh

If plain sugar "wine" is legal to make, use that as a starting point?

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
If plain sugar "wine" is legal to make, use that as a starting point?

Sure! Why not! I think you will end up maxing out around 40 proof with a normal household freezer. One day I will have to try this with a -80C freezer . . . . . Might make things more interesting.

In all seriousness, this would be great if you have something good to start with. I am thinking a nice imperial milk stout or a huge IPA.

vile1

So wait, I dont understand....

1) Buy shitty alcohol.
2) Freeze shitty alcohol till water in it freezes.
3) Remove Ice from shitty alcohol
4) Now you have even SHITTIER tasting alcohol, and less of it, but higher concentrate/higher alcohol volume.

This seems REALLY stupid. Please help me figure out the point of this.

Why not just buy GOOD alcohol and enjoy?

laz

Why not just do a fractional distillation on whatever sort of alcoholic liquid that is up to your fancy. I don't understand the purpose of this freeze based extraction if you are looking to get concentrated alcohol as it's going to be horribly inefficient.

demosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile1 View Post

Making stuff yourself is fun

asdsad
pwned

lol, is freezing beer legal????

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
Why not just do a fractional distillation on whatever sort of alcoholic liquid that is up to your fancy. I don't understand the purpose of this freeze based extraction if you are looking to get concentrated alcohol as it's going to be horribly inefficient.

Illegal in a lot of states.

demosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Illegal in a lot of states.

What kind of punishments do you get stuck with? Fines + confiscation of equipment?

SmashingPumpkins

i did this with vodka and dry ice.

i got really shitty off it.

actually I used pearl vodka ($13)

it tasted like nothing, and it suprised me how strong it was. you forget you're drinking something with such a high alcohol content.

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile1 View Post
So wait, I dont understand....

1) Buy shitty alcohol.
2) Freeze shitty alcohol till water in it freezes.
3) Remove Ice from shitty alcohol
4) Now you have even SHITTIER tasting alcohol, and less of it, but higher concentrate/higher alcohol volume.

This seems REALLY stupid. Please help me figure out the point of this.

I didn't buy this. I made it. See: http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php...ight=apfelwein

It wasn't a great base to start with, but it was amusing and I learned something. Thats what matters here. The stout that I have fermenting right now will probably have a portion set aside for this process. Should make a very nice desert type beer. Try buying something like that in a store.

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdsad View Post
lol, is freezing beer legal????

Yes. Read the first post.

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
What kind of punishments do you get stuck with? Fines + confiscation of equipment?

Don't know about punishments, but check out the "Legality" section on the Wiki found here.

vile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcheese View Post
I didn't buy this. I made it. See: http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php...ight=apfelwein

It wasn't a great base to start with, but it was amusing and I learned something. Thats what matters here. The stout that I have fermenting right now will probably have a portion set aside for this process. Should make a very nice desert type beer. Try buying something like that in a store.

I apologize, I guess I see the use. kind of like an, "OH SHIT! We need some HARD ALC tonight for jello shooters by TONIGHT or else the chairman of the broad is gonna fire me! Start freezing the beer Beeker!!!!"
"Meee mee mee mee meeeeee! me meee!!"
...situation.

odd
I make it rain on them hoes.

why not just buy some 80 proof stuff and avoid all that hassle
Only users lose drugs