General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mrcalkin1
JJ0949

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post
to a canadian, i'd think texas would be substantial culture shock
just like it would be to a new yorker, or a seattlean, or a san franciscan
but you'd adjust and probably like it!

also, houston is a shithole
bland, boring, poor, and filthy
the great things about texas dim substantially if you're talking about houston, imo
Houston and every large city in texas is just like every other city in the US.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

yolo

yeah, i'm a TX native and lived in Corpus Christi most of my life, aside from the 4 years i was in the military.

If you like commuting, then there are some seriously nice places near any of the major cities like Houston, Dallas, or Austin.

As soon as i'm done with undergrad, i'm leaving Corpus for hopefully one of the better locations in TX for grad school.

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcalkin1 View Post
Houston and every large city in texas is just like every other city in the US.

I wouldn't compare Houston to NYC, DC, SFC, or a number of others. It's VERY different culturally.

To the OP: Texas is different, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There are a lot of really great people there. The people are good natured, open, warm, etc. It's very conservative politically and the vast majority of people love Jesus. Nothing wrong with this, but it bothers some people. Austin is much more progressive than the rest of the state. The food in Texas is awesome. I love Austin and have a lot of friends there. You seriously need to spend some time in the various cities there before considering a move, though. Of course, that goes for anywhere.

schweig

I had never even been to Texas until I moved here for my job in early 2008. Having lived most of my life on the Eastern coast of the US or overseas, I only heard the standard negatives about Texas. After moving here though, I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
I agree with what most others say here, Houston is a shithole, but the North Dallas area is very nice (I live in Addison now). The people are friendly and there is plenty to do.
North Dallas has all of the convenience of a large city, without having to deal with the heavy traffic and general congestion.

As for Austin and San Antonio...still haven't been.

tmoney1876

Bullshit. Dallas has just as much traffic as Houston. It is different because the drivers are different, but it is there.

SKYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweig View Post
I had never even been to Texas until I moved here for my job in early 2008. Having lived most of my life on the Eastern coast of the US or overseas, I only heard the standard negatives about Texas. After moving here though, I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
I agree with what most others say here, Houston is a shithole, but the North Dallas area is very nice (I live in Addison now). The people are friendly and there is plenty to do.
North Dallas has all of the convenience of a large city, without having to deal with the heavy traffic and general congestion.

As for Austin and San Antonio...still haven't been.
5 years ago I would have said Austin and SAT were the best places to live in the state, but the traffic these days makes it less than ideal. Even the outskirt towns are getting ridiculous.

Assunder

Not a traffic expert but:

Houston traffic may be terrible, but look at cities comparable in size in the US. None of them have the hub-and-spoke freeway pattern that Houston does. As long as the arteries are expanded every few years, Houston can handle a pretty decent traffic load and still be able to get from major business districts to a residential area in <60 mins in the worst of traffic.

It's a great design especially considering there are no major commuter trains, only the light rail line in the city.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assunder View Post
Not a traffic expert but:

Houston traffic may be terrible, but look at cities comparable in size in the US. None of them have the hub-and-spoke freeway pattern that Houston does. As long as the arteries are expanded every few years, Houston can handle a pretty decent traffic load and still be able to get from major business districts to a residential area in <60 mins in the worst of traffic.

It's a great design especially considering there are no major commuter trains, only the light rail line in the city.

Wait until there's a hurricane

ceejamon
Ignore this post

There's also this aspect of the culture to consider, for better or for worse depending on your political persuasions: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_497440.html

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

so, just curious, why do you love the US? do you want to move south just because of the climate or is there something else?

As for my input, I've been to Houston a few times, and it seems to have some very cool areas (Woodlands, and sugarland) and some very crappy areas (gunspoint). Housing prices are ridiculously cheap there compared to what you're probably used to, and so is pretty much everything else, in my experience

California Pizza Chicken

tmoney1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
Wait until there's a hurricane

Meh, I'll let all the idiots evac. I'll stick around. Category 4 will get me moving, not 3.

Regime|Life
The Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
There's also this aspect of the culture to consider, for better or for worse depending on your political persuasions: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_497440.html

Yeah this kinda scares me actually. Taking out certain history is like burning a book imo.

I like the US for many reasons, mostly its ideals, the people for the most part, the weather in certain parts of the US and among many other things. I mostly feel like I relate to it much more than I do anywhere else in the world.

Though stuff like taking out history and an ultra radical right wing scares me. I'm fine with some right wing ideals especially about economics but other aspects I don't necessarily agree with and things like that news makes me reconsider Texas. We'll see how it goes though...

TommyTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post

I am a Conservative Texan and this bothers the shit out of me. It helps that I am not christian though lol.

I love it here, but I am biased. My progressive parents love it here and we live in East Texas. Austin is cool if you are progressive, or you are a hipster(cue BaloneyFlaps). Dallas is alright, a bit big for my tastes. San Antonio is pretty cool. Of course last time I was there it was for touristy shit, I know it can be pretty bad at times. I think I have been to Houston about 3 times, never liked it. We have lots of beautiful country side. Beaches do suck. Lots of great food and people. One of my teachers just moved from Washington, and after 7 months knows he will not be returning. One thing to get used to though, "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" will get you a long way. A friend moved to Portland and said people looked at her like she was crazy when she said "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir", but here its common courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My sister-in-law's family lived there for a few years while her husband attended Baylor. They absolutely hated it.

Its Waco...no one likes Waco.

MrPillow

David Koresh liked Waco....

brfatal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regime|Life View Post
Though stuff like taking out history and an ultra radical right wing scares me. I'm fine with some right wing ideals especially about economics but other aspects I don't necessarily agree with and things like that news makes me reconsider Texas. We'll see how it goes though...

Ya, I'm a centrist Texan who usually takes to the right on big issues and that bugs me as well (also not Christian like TommytheCat). And Texas was middle of the pack in public schooling when I was still in it.

Honestly people are taking the "ultra right wing" and "redneck" stuff a bit far in this thread. These things are not even riding on the surface much less thrown in your face like people are making it seem.