General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
now this is where apple fagts jump in and mention their gayniqqer lightning connectors

I am a little ass injured that the S6 didn't get USB-C or something

FUCK the lightning connector. The socket in the device is durable enough, but the connector on the cable is SUPER fragile. The cable pulls out of the connector, and then it doesn't work, and the cables cost like $30.

I'd rather they just have micro usb.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Oooorrry... haven't seen that happen yet

coworkers mainly just lose or forget their cables, haven't heard about any being damaged

RazorWind

Quote:
Oooorrry... haven't seen that happen yet

coworkers mainly just lose or forget their cables, haven't heard about any being damaged

It's definitely a thing. I've had a couple do this, including on a brand new iPad I bought at work for testing. Luckily, I had the one for my iPhone handy. I think the problem is that they made the hard plastic part too small and slippery, making it tempting to pull on the cable, and that it takes too much force to pull the connector out.

I had to drive the girl who flies our survey aircraft to a Walmart in Bumblefuck Texas the last time we did field work because she kept breaking them. We looked at like 20 different kinds, but couldn't find one that looked any sturdier than the Apple ones, and they're all outrageously expensive for a cable that should cost about $2.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
It's definitely a thing. I've had a couple do this, including on a brand new iPad I bought at work for testing. Luckily, I had the one for my iPhone handy. I think the problem is that they made the hard plastic part too small and slippery, making it tempting to pull on the cable, and that it takes too much force to pull the connector out.

I had to drive the girl who flies our survey aircraft to a Walmart in Bumblefuck Texas the last time we did field work because she kept breaking them. We looked at like 20 different kinds, but couldn't find one that looked any sturdier than the Apple ones, and they're all outrageously expensive for a cable that should cost about $2.

probably not the same failure that's being "fixed" w/ this stuff but... it could help

BORKED

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

I love whenever some coworker says "anyone have a iPhag charger"

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

what to me is really disturbing is the sheer volume of people who do not understand that a micro usb is a ....well, micro usb. I actually know people who have as many micro usb chargers as they have phones, and they refuse to charge without the specific chargers that came along with the phone

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
what to me is really disturbing is the sheer volume of people who do not understand that a micro usb is a ....well, micro usb. I actually know people who have as many micro usb chargers as they have phones, and they refuse to charge without the specific chargers that came along with the phone

One broad at work asked everyone if they had a charger for S5. I told her yes, and that she could just keep it and I handed her one of the micro USB cables in my desk. She then proceeds to tell me 'oh no, that won't work. The S5 has a special connector, see?'

When I plugged the cable in and showed it worked just fine she gave me the 'are you some kind of wizard' tard look.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post

One broad at work asked everyone if they had a charger for S5. I told her yes, and that she could just keep it and I handed her one of the micro USB cables in my desk. She then proceeds to tell me 'oh no, that won't work. The S5 has a special connector, see?' (points to USB 3.0 port)

When I plugged the cable in and showed it worked just fine she gave me the 'are you some kind of wizard' tard look. I told her she didn't need those extra pins to charge her phone and that USB 3 was deliberately made backward compatible. I'm sure she didn't understand and probably thought I'd somehow hacked her phone by using the 'wrong' cable

Last edited by Baloneyflaps; 06-29-2015 at 02:17 AM..

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

My mom refused my charger because some dumbfuck had told her a charger that's not for your phone might bust the phone

RazorWind

Quote:
probably not the same failure that's being "fixed" w/ this stuff but... it could help

BORKED

I've never seen Sugru in the flesh, but if it sticks well enough to plastic, that actually might help. I think the answer is to make the little plastic piece of the connector maybe a quarter inch longer, and to knurl the surface, so the user has something to grab on to. Also, make the strain relief boot thicker and longer. It appears they actually may have done this in newer cables, as the one that came with my girlfriend's iPhone looks a little different from mine.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Ya ive bought a few packs of it now. It's worth a try.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

It's because of the lies people are told when they go to the Gaytt /Fagrizon stores. They mark the accessories up 400%

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

bought a dyson handheld vac

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

the fuck

your boiled meat crew AND dyson squad??