General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Trailblazer
 
Conscientious Objection (v. Abortion)

New press release on the whole doctors objecting to abortion not having to do them thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26334679/

What do you folks think of this? I think its total for someone to get away with not doing their job because of a reason that amounts to "I don't feel like it". That's akin to a person who disagrees with evolution refusing to teach it, or a police officer who doesn't agree with laws against burglary stealing.

You're being paid to do your fucking job. Do it, or quit. None of this half-assed "But I don't want to" crap.

Quote:
"Freedom of conscience is not to be surrendered upon issuance of a medical degree," said Leavitt. "This nation was built on a foundation of free speech. The first principle of free speech is protected conscience."
Free speech does not protect anyone's conscience, in my opinion. It protects your ability to disagree without consequence, not your ability to neglect your duties.

[m]?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM Trailblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jubjub
TweedleDumber
 
hmmm... remarkable parallels to C.O. status in a conscripted military.

How do you feel about that ?
__________________
I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM jubjub is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Ironic, since the earliest Hippocratic Oath has harsh words for abortion too.
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
I honestly do not know the answer to this but do general practitioners and such generally perform abortions? Isnt it somewhat specialized medicine? What doctors generally do perform the procedure and which ones generally do not? By specialized field not moral objections.
__________________
.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:57 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

dirulove
 
Who cares someone else will be willing to do it and no doctor is forced to work at an abortion clinic.

If they refuse to do an abortion to save a mother then thats
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM dirulove is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

isugoat
 
if they worked in an abortion clinic i'd agree with you.
i'm guessing abortions are an incredibly small part of any doctor's practice outside an abortion clinic.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM isugoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer
 
Rang3find3r's Avatar
 
while I don't agree with the idea that this may interfere with the issuance of birth control, I do agree when it comes to abortions.. it's a very powerful subject with very strong opinions on either side, and doctors absolutely should have the choice as to whether or not they will participate in abortions. nobody should be forced to do anything that they feel is immoral simply because of their career choice. morality is not something that can nor should be legislated, so it's perfectly reasonable for doctors to have the right to choose, just as women currently do.

however, I can't see how the use of birth control is morally objectionable, as the idea behind it is to prevent the creation of life in the first place, so there's no theoretical ending of human life at stake. the use of proper birth control is the easiest way to prevent the whole issue of abortion from coming up in the first place, so there's every reason to advocate and support it's usage. by impeding the use of birth control, all you're going to do is increase the number of women who will be seeking abortions.

edit: all that said, if you're against abortion, you shouldn't be working in an abortion clinic or anywhere else where you're likely to be involved in abortions in the first place
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 PM Rang3find3r is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Rizen
 
I dated a girl who was in residency as an OB/GYN. She opted out of doing abortions. Who cares? Someone else there will do it, the hospital wouldn't refuse you one, it just meant she wouldn't have to perform one for you. And why should she, if it is against her personal beliefs?

I'm all for pro-choice, but that also means people have the right to not want to have one or perform one as well. Your argument is akin to "If you sign up to work at a jail you should have to perform death row executions".
__________________
-Ben
Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 PM Rizen is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
I honestly do not know the answer to this but do general practitioners and such generally perform abortions? Isnt it somewhat specialized medicine? What doctors generally do perform the procedure and which ones generally do not? By specialized field not moral objections.

++

Oh and jubbsie, I suppose there is some parallel like you said, at least in the american sense of things. Around here you don't really get asked to sign up so yeah...nope.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

A Ho
 
doctors do procedures they are comfortable doing. an orthopedic surgeon doesn't have to do knee arthroscopies if he doesn't want to. a cardiothoracic surgeon doesn't have to do CABGs if she isn't comfortable with it, regardless of reason.
__________________
[M] Physician
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM A Ho is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Trailblazer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ho View Post
doctors do procedures they are comfortable doing. an orthopedic surgeon doesn't have to do knee arthroscopies if he doesn't want to. a cardiothoracic surgeon doesn't have to do CABGs if she isn't comfortable with it, regardless of reason.

So why the specific law? If that's the case, why would it not be the same for this? Just seems like more attempts to slowly reverse Roe v. Wade to me really.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM Trailblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Ironic, since the earliest Hippocratic Oath has harsh words for abortion too.

I was actually about to post the exact same thing.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

coolxboxgamer
 
abortion should be illegal...

if you go on youtube and watch an abortion video and still believe it should be legal then your a sick fuck...
__________________
d67ca28ff460654694fe788f176c6640 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM coolxboxgamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
I honestly do not know the answer to this but do general practitioners and such generally perform abortions? Isnt it somewhat specialized medicine? What doctors generally do perform the procedure and which ones generally do not? By specialized field not moral objections.

Anyone know this? I am curious and a quick google search just brought up articles about this recent development and nothing to answer my specific question.
__________________
.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.
 
mathlete's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolxboxgamer View Post
abortion should be illegal...

if you go on youtube and watch an abortion video and still believe it should be legal then your a sick fuck...



Do you really get ALL of your beliefs from Youtube you stupid fuck???
Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 PM mathlete is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.