General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

.au/Governments agree on R18+ games rating

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-2...eement/2806200

Quote:
The federal and state governments have reached an in-principle agreement to provide an R18+ rating for video games.

The proposal has been debated at a meeting of attorneys-general in Adelaide.

Gamers have argued the rating would protect children from games containing inappropriate material, while giving adult gamers a choice.

The New South Wales Attorney-General abstained from the proposal.

South Australia has previously indicated it will also scrap the current MA15+ , meaning all violent games will be restricted to adults.

Federal Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor welcomed the in-principle agreement saying it is a "big step forward in the long running debate on classification".

"The introduction of an R18+ classification for computer games will provide better advice to parents and help prevent children and teenagers from accessing unsuitable material," he said.

"Once introduced, the new classification will also afford adults the opportunity to view material designed for adults."

"It is a credit to all jurisdictions that the meeting has now been able to achieve agreement over what is a complex matter in classification policy."

A national telephone survey conducted by Galaxy last year showed that 80 per cent of the 2,226 people contacted said they supported the introduction of an adult only category for games.

Draft guidelines presented at the last attorneys-general meeting have since been amended and this requires some states to seek approval from their respective cabinets.

Once that is achieved, the Federal Government can begin drafting the legislation to introduce the new classification.

Under the proposed guidelines games containing high-level violence will be restricted to adults, while games containing extreme violence will continue to be refused classification and banned from sale altogether.

All I can say is, about damn time!
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cokezeroholic

Extremely violent games restricted altogether? Meh, whatever.

And "A national telephone survey conducted by Galaxy last year showed that 80 per cent of the 2,226 people contacted said they supported the introduction of an adult only category for games"

Exactly who did they survey?

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

lol was gta really banned this whole in australia

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Obviously because I played Quake when I was a teenager I am a violent, psychopathic individual bent on becoming the next Adolf Hitler.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Table View Post
Obviously because I played Quake when I was a teenager I am a violent, psychopathic individual bent on becoming the next Adolf Hitler.
you wish for the genocide of all Strogg.

coalesce

How many more must die because of murder simulators like Doom?

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
How many more must die because of murder simulators like Doom?
Current high score was set yesterday. I can't wait until the media finds out what videogames this Norwegian dude played..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Current high score was set yesterday. I can't wait until the media finds out what videogames this Norwegian dude played..

They already blamed it on religious extremism. Fundie Christians are fucking dangerous.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
They already blamed it on religious extremism. Fundie Christians are fucking dangerous.
Apparently so, and this was just one guy. Imagine if there were as many Christian loonies as there are Muslims who buy into jihad....body count would be at mega-genocidal levels.

edit- after reading more about this guy it seems that the particular government party he targeted and their lax immigration policy was the primary motivation. He just listed himself as "Christian" and "conservative" on his FB.....but it doesn't seem he was on any kind of religious bender.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

coalesce

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Apparently so, and this was just one guy. Imagine if there were as many Christian loonies as there are Muslims who buy into jihad....body count would be at mega-genocidal levels.

edit- after reading more about this guy it seems that the particular government party he targeted and their lax immigration policy was the primary motivation. He just listed himself as "Christian" and "conservative" on his FB.....but it doesn't seem he was on any kind of religious bender.

If this guy was so mad at muslim extremist, why didn't he just fly his dumbass to afghanistan and do us all a favor and take out a few before getting killed himself.

Nick_
pwned

Well...I can get behind some of his motivation...I don't agree with what he did, but there is a little story from where I come. I used to live in Slovakia and in my town there was a Gypsy family living in one of the apartments nearby, they were disgusting, they smeared walls with shit, they made racket every fking day, simply trash. For 6 years, their neighbour sued them, asked the government to do something - nothing they did. In the end he took a rifle and killed them all. With some innocent bystanders in the process. And all because the government / court didn't lift a finger for him. Same thing happened in Norway - the government sits on its ass and the Christian - white country is getting overrun by Muslims. The guy got angry and shot 'em all. That is what you get if you ignore your voters.