General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

So, Ive been making a Tribes game.

For the past couple months me and another guy have been working on a game. Its called Renegades. Basically its a remake of the popular Tribes 1 Mod Renegades into its own game. There will also be a "Base" mod to appeal to Tribes 1 Base players.

My objective is to accurately replicate Tribes 1 Physics as close as possible, this is what 90% of my work has been on thus far. People that have played it so far say the Physics are pretty good, better than Tribes 2.

Anyways, Ive been doing the programming, mapping, scripting, importing 3D Models, etc. My partner in crime has done the GUI elements although I have programmed all the GUI elements into the game.

Believe it or not this is my first time programming anything at all besides batch files back in the oldschool days. I am learning as I go.

Currently we are looking for another Programmer, a Concept Artist and a 3D Modeler. So hit me up if you are interested.

CURRENTLY ALL SOUNDS AND 3D MODELS ARE IMPORTED FROM TRIBES 1 AND TRIBES 2, THIS IS BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE A 3D ARTIST YET AND ALL MODELS ARE CURRENTLY PLACEHOLDERS UNTIL WE CAN COME UP WITH OUR OWN.

Now, for some pics:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Last edited by Syk0tiK; 07-07-2011 at 11:59 PM..

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

Forwarding to my azn friend who likes to sketch concept art
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

Bukkakeboy

Nice!

I loved tribes R.I.P

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

topcat989

What's the point of making this game? (I mean that sincerely, I love tribes)

better graphics?

sell and make money?

just to learn programing, so you copy an existing game?

Trying to make a truly viable updated tribes 1 game that will be played?

Don't get my hopes up and dash them man, I've wet dreamed for years about a tribes 1/2 remake with updated graphics, and NOTHING ELSE to fuck up a perfectly good game.

I had hoped tribes:vengenance was it, and discovered that the graphics were updated, but they "fixed" and "improved" the game to make it more appealing to a larger "demographic".

In other words, they took a game that took time and skill to master, whose players loved it in part for it's complexity, and the fucking bean counters dumbed it down for the xbox generation.

hider

what languages are you using? I'm interested in helping! I've never played tribes but I'm a bored comp sci major on summer break, lol

Syk0tiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
What's the point of making this game? (I mean that sincerely, I love tribes)

better graphics?

sell and make money?

just to learn programing, so you copy an existing game?

Trying to make a truly viable updated tribes 1 game that will be played?

Don't get my hopes up and dash them man, I've wet dreamed for years about a tribes 1/2 remake with updated graphics, and NOTHING ELSE to fuck up a perfectly good game.

I had hoped tribes:vengenance was it, and discovered that the graphics were updated, but they "fixed" and "improved" the game to make it more appealing to a larger "demographic".

In other words, they took a game that took time and skill to master, whose players loved it in part for it's complexity, and the fucking bean counters dumbed it down for the xbox generation.

Eventually it will sell on Steam, for probably like $10 or $20

I plan to remake Tribes 1 as closely as possible, no dumbing it down to to make it easier and more appealing to people who lack skill.

It will have improvement to the game that do not alter gameplay, such as an official ladder/tournament system implemented into the game itself and not relying on 3rd party ladders like OGL.

Syk0tiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hider View Post
what languages are you using? I'm interested in helping! I've never played tribes but I'm a bored comp sci major on summer break, lol

Engine is written in C# but can load DLL's compiled in C++

For instance, the rendering engine is Orge, which is C++, so the game engine uses a wrapper to interface with Ogre. Same with PhysX, Lidgren networking, etc.

Syk0tiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hider View Post

Honestly if we had a programmer that actually knew what he was doing (aka not me lol) we could implement a few small things like the CTF system to have a working playable game.

As far as programming goes, this is a list of things that need to be done before a public playtest is released based on the CTF gametype.

Percentage already complete:
Flight physics: 100%
"Ski" physics: 90%
Other movement physics: 90%
Energy System: 100%
Capture the flag system: 10%

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
Eventually it will sell on Steam, for probably like $10 or $20

I plan to remake Tribes 1 as closely as possible, no dumbing it down to to make it easier and more appealing to people who lack skill.

It will have improvement to the game that do not alter gameplay, such as an official ladder/tournament system implemented into the game itself and not relying on 3rd party ladders like OGL.

That's sounds great man, but you do realize that the company that owns the tribes IP might want to have a word with you about you selling this?

Syk0tiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
That's sounds great man, but you do realize that the company that owns the tribes IP might want to have a word with you about you selling this?

There has already been a thorough debate about this on Tribalwar.com

I wont be using the Tribes name, the games name will be called Renegades.

The IP holder of Tribes (Currently Global Agenda) does not hold the rights to a game with Jetpacks, Guns, Turrets or anything else that will be included in Renegades.

Last edited by Syk0tiK; 07-11-2011 at 06:57 PM..

FLECOM

I spent many, many hours playing Renegades back in the day...

Proud member of the Canon 1D club

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
There has already been a thorough debate about this on Tribalwar.com

I wont be using the Tribes name, the games name will be called Renegades.

The IP holder of Tribes (Currently Global Agenda) does not hold the rights to a game with Jetpacks, Guns, Turrets or anything else that will be included in Renegades.

OK but if no mortar and no spinfuser then no care

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLECOM View Post
I spent many, many hours playing Renegades back in the day...

of hell yess. To me it more then doubled the life of t1 and t2

gear2050

quite nice. I think you can take a look at a mobile game called "Aural Ball". The graphic is very nice.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear2050 View Post
quite nice. I think you can take a look at a mobile game called "Aural Ball". The graphic is very nice.

You gonna spam this in every thread now?