General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ImaProject

Costa Rica.......Advice?

So,

A few of my friends and I have decided to take a trip to Costa Rica. We've heard from a couple of other friends that they had a hell of a time down there when they went. Basically, we're 4-5 low to mid twenties guys looking to have an adventure and do some drinking and hang out with the local women.

We're looking at 7 days (2 traveling, 5 vacationing), and looking to do it fairly on the cheap. We've looked at hotel/airfare packages and have seen around $750-850 for 3 starish hotels in San Jose. Looking at reviews and opinions on where to visit, it looks like the Caribbean side is the way to go (for the beaches and the national parks). We want to sort of rough it, do some unguided stuff, off the beaten path adventuring (or at least the illusion of off the beaten path). Of course we'll do some tourist type stuff too.

Nightlife wise, we're obviously looking for the party scene, places to get cheap drinks, and some ladies to potentially befriend.

So, Genmay, drop some knowledge on me. If you've been, tell me what you did, where you went, and anything else you can think of. Basic traveling advice for anyone that has been to central america is welcome too (age of consent, laws to look out for, junk like that)

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Oh, we're looking at end of August. We're flexible if that's just NOT a good time to go.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jpgoody123

There some nice beaches all around costa rica. Manuel Antonio has a beautiful beach in its national park, which has a small admission rate, I would recommend that beach compared to the beach outside the park for the public. the public beach is like something you would see on the US eastern shore, like jersey or whatever. The national park is like a post card.

There is zip lining and cave splunking in Arenal, their active volcano. Both activies were alot of fun, especially the cave splunking, never could you do that in the US with all the safety restrictions you would need. There are some hot spring resorts in Arenal too, not so much nightlife.

I wouldn't waste any time in San Jose. Kind of a blah city. I would just fly in and go to another town or beach as soon as landing. spend the money on nicer palces at your different destinations.

The roads are really windy and hilly so bring some travel sickness pills, even you don't get motion sick, you will need it.

There is some of the worlds greatest sports fishing off the coast of Costa rica, you check that out, I didn't get a chance. We did get to do some snorkeling in Manueal antonio which was fun.

The food is kinda blah, you can only do rice and beans for so long. THe fruit, smoothies and ceviche is were its at.

Hope this helps.

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something that’s common knowledge. Then I make

I almost went there on a whim this month but decided to plan it out better. Let us know on your findings, I'd be interested. Im going for sure this fall.

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

ImaProject

Thanks for the intel jp. What time of year did you go?

8ond

you said you don't plan on spending too much money. you might find this info useful:

http://www.backpacker-costarica.com/...el-tips/where/

jpgoody123

We went in jan, which was very nice for us. I think that is wet season but it only rained once for the 7 days we were there.

ImaProject

thanks for the link to the backpacker sight. Lots of helpful stuff on there!

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

How about Ibiza?

8ond

Quote:
thanks for the link to the backpacker sight. Lots of helpful stuff on there!
You're welcome! Glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
How about Ibiza?

When there will be a post on this, i will definitely be interested. I might go there this summer