General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

elchorizo

Grilled Flank Steak Quesadillas

I made some quesadillas and I thought I'd share them with you guys. The marinade is super easy and perfect for someone that doesn't have much time (or is lazy).

Step 1: The ingredients:

larger size

Step 2: The marinade is super simple for this. Normally, I'd use certain seasonings and maybe a rub or whatever, but this is the easy version. Dump in the full bottle of hot sauce, about half that much of olive oil, and much less Lea & Perrins (probably like 1/4 cup). Dont put too much Lea & Perrins because it can overpower the hot sauce flavor.

larger size

Step 3: Grill the jalapenos and the flank steak. You want some blackening on the jalapenos if possible. Make sure you dont overcook the flank steak. Keep it medium at the most.

larger size

Step 4: Cut up some avocados and sprinkle some salt on them. You can skip this if you want but I like to munch on these with my quesadillas (and I'm to lazy to slice them thin enough to put inside).

larger size

Step 5: Drool on the meat. Here is the meat after grilling. Unfortunatly my grill wont get hot enough to really put a nice char on the outside, and still keep the meat nice and rare on the inside. So, I have to take it off before the outside gets done enough, but since it will be cut up and put inside anyway, who cares

larger size

Step 6: When you pull the jalapenos from the grill, stick them all in a ziploc or piece of tupperware and seal that shit up. Let them sit in there for like 10 minutes to steam. After this process, the skin should slide right off. Take off the skin and then cut off the stems. Then, chop up the jalapenos.

larger size

Step 7: Slice the steak VERY thin. Make sure to slice it across the grain. If the grain is running left to right, then you want to slice top to bottom. Make sense? You want to do this so the meat will be very soft and chew easily. It sucks to bite into a piece of quesadilla and pull out the whole chunk of meat.

larger size

Step 8: Just a pic of the fillings (minus the cheese).

larger size

Step 9: Heat a comal (flat iron skillet) to about medium and throw a tiny bit of oil on it. Put a tortilla on there and put some cheddar and cotija cheese. Dont put on too much of the cotija because it tends to be pretty salty.

larger size

www.flickr.com/photos/marshallalsup
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 VR, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 16-35 f/4

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

elchorizo

continued...

Step 10: Add on some nice pieces of meat.

larger size

Step 11: Add in some additional cheese, but not nearly as much on the top. You just need a bit to glue the top of the toppings to the tortilla. Also, I often put several drops of hot sauce on at this point, but I forgot to photograph that.

larger size

Step 12: Fold the tortilla over and cook both sides till they look about like this.

larger size

Step 13: The finished product! I just munch on the avocado while eating the quesadillas.

larger size

Hope you guys enjoy!

Sargonnas

Hmm.. you can still see the tortilla after the cheese has been put on.. how odd.

Looks good though! Now if only I could afford flank stank.. my favorite cut. Of course the cut that was once considered the leftover shit that was tossed to the slaves is now as much as filet fucking mignon almost.

Sargonnas

Hmm.. you can still see the tortilla after the cheese has been put on.. how odd.

Looks good though! Now if only I could afford flank stank.. my favorite cut. Of course the cut that was once considered the leftover shit that was tossed to the slaves is now as much as filet fucking mignon almost.

8ond

Thanks for the recipe! It looks delicious! Really well documented too .

malamute face
Long time. Me lobe yoy long time.

elchorizooooooooooo!

How long did you marinate for? Dang, that looks like a seriously spicy marinade!

I usually do quesadillas with one tortilla on the bottom and one on top. Look at that delicious golden crunch you got on the tortillas! Perfect. I love when they're like that.

Growler & I hate olives <3
Pyramid is my speakerhumper BFF

Total: 24

elchorizo

Sargonnas, yeah, I put on just enough cheese to have some nice melty goodness, but not too much. Agreed about the flank steak! Its annoying that it cost so much now. That cut of flank steak, which I will eat 3 quesadilla meals from (probably about 3x whats in the final pic) cost over $12!! usually I buy at Costco and its a bit cheaper, but I didn't this time.

8ond, thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the thread.

Malamute, yeah, wtf, I forgot to add any text about marinading lol! Anyway, I dunked the meat in there for about 2 hours. I made sure the marinade ingredients were at room temp too because I want to let the steak come to room temp before I grill it, and soaking it in room temp marinade helps with that. After that, I brush some off and throw it on the grill.

As far as spicyness, that hot sauce I use for this (Valentina) has very little heat (for my tastes, it has no heat lol). I just use it for the flavor

I dont like to do 2 tortillas per quesadilla because it makes flipping it over too hard, but if I'm doing it for special company, or a lady, I'd do it that way cause it looks better. Also, I wouldn't serve it on a ghetto white paper plate like I did here

malamute face
Long time. Me lobe yoy long time.

I remember having Valentina before (on ceviche, I think) but I just can't recall its hotness. Anyway, what an easy marinade! I might just have to try it.

Yesss. Two tortillas are a total bitch to flip! I should stop doing it that way. When I'm doing it, I'm doing it for my "man friend", and I'm past the stage of trying to impress him.
Growler & I hate olives <3
Pyramid is my speakerhumper BFF

Total: 24