General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

North Dakota College Pro-Concealed Carry Group stages self-defense awareness event

http://www.valleynewslive.tv/artman2...nes/8901.shtml
http://www.valleynewslive-ondemand.c...l/video3.shtml (What an obviously liberally-slanting reporter. That girl near the end is terribly uninformed too)

Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“UND STUDENTS FOR CONCEALED CARRY ON CAMPUS PRESENT ‘X MARKS THE SPOT’ EVENT ON UND CAMPUS”

9/30/08 – Grand Forks, ND: The University of North Dakota Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (UND SCCC), part of the nationwide group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), is proud to present “X Marks The Spot,” an event consisting of chalk X shapes drawn in areas of the campus that one may be subject to a personal crime (such as robbery, assault, rape, etc) without much of an avenue for escape or help. Alongside the X shapes is the Internet website address of UND SCCC, which displays statements explaining the purpose of the X shapes, that being to educate individuals about the constant threat of personal attack on campus, and to explain to them that both UND University policy and State policy severely hampers their ability to retaliate against such a personal attack, as defensive devices such as Pepper Spray, Mace, and Concealed Carry Permits (Which allow an individual to lawfully carry a concealed weapon that may be used in self-defense) are either not honored, against state law on campus, or banned per university policy on the UND Campus.

UND SCCC feels restrictions on personal defense on campus that are not in place off campus are unlawful and should be prohibited. Self-defense items such as Mace and Pepper Spray should not be prohibited on campus. Also, Concealed Carry Permits should be honored on UND Campus grounds, and the self-defense items they permit a person to carry concealed allowed on the UND Campus as well. UND SCCC’s stances are not ones that would endorse individuals that do not possess a valid Concealed Weapons Permit to carry firearms on campus, as we only endorse the allowance of valid permit holders to exercise their privileges on campus.

UND SCCC is a student organization at the University of North Dakota, formed in Spring 2008 by UND Student Greg Plautz, and has grown to feature biweekly group meetings, on and off campus group events, and has brought the discussion of Concealed Carry Permits being allowed on college campuses to the forefront of debate in the city of Grand Forks, ND, and the local area.

It may be a shameless plug , but it is pit-worthy material. Discuss.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

That German Guy
Moderation is key. Especially in forums.

The creation of gun-free zones in an armed society is .

/thread
WISDOM

Bukkakeboy

Im sure the lives we potentially could save on schoolmassacres by having students carry guns is gonna be a lot lower then the number of accidental/retarded killings/shootings resulting from such an increase in armed students. Teenagers arent exactly in their most stable and rational stage, and while you will have some ppl who are trained responsibly and mentally balanced enough to handle this extra "power" I can guarantee you will have several that arent.

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
Im sure the lives we potentially could save on schoolmassacres by having students carry guns is gonna be a lot lower then the number of accidental/retarded killings/shootings resulting from such an increase in armed students. Teenagers arent exactly in their most stable and rational stage, and while you will have some ppl who are trained responsibly and mentally balanced enough to handle this extra "power" I can guarantee you will have several that arent.

This isn't just about school shootings. This is also about self-defense from mugging, rape, etc. Furthermore, just like I said to the liberal reporter after he asked me that stupid question, we don't intend to play hero and stop every school shooting if we're nearby. We have no intention, or responsibility, to play hero. Our campus police force is there for a reason, and they can end a situation if my life isn't in danger enough for me to pull my CCW. If I heard shots down the hall, I'd take my opportunity to run the opposite direction if that opportunity was there. As I said in the vid, we just want the ability to take self defense into our own hands, something that's allowed off campus, but not on campus.

Our goal doesn't include allowing every student to carry, Our goal is solely to allow Concealed Carry Weapon permit holders to carry on campus. CCW Permit holders, student or not, carry every day outside of campus, and an incident where they misuse their firearm is a very rare thing. Why do you think that if they were suddenly allowed to carry on campus, their responsibility and maturity would change?

It's also not like a passing of a law would cause a rush of CCW permit applications; the majority of students' hesitance to the idea shows that they feel safe on campus and don't feel that carrying is required. It's that demographic of people we do these events mainly for as a group, as they are most likely to not mind CCW permit holders carrying on campus, even though they won't carry themselves.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
an event consisting of chalk X shapes drawn in areas of the
campus that one may be subject to a personal crime

has grown to feature biweekly group meetings

forefront of debate in the city of Grand Forks, ND, and the local area.

It may be a shameless plug , but it is pit-worthy material. Discuss.
What's that smell, Greg?

It smells like This Is Not Your Campus Newspaper.

Let's see what the dice have to say.

Hmm. Sorry Greg, 6 gets you close but no cigar.

I really did give a shit you're raising awareness through sidewalk chalk, though. It's extraordinary.

A round from the clock tower punches through your shit thread and it bleeds out within minutes.

You have died.

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg via PM
Smells more like mod sass to me.
It was a legit thread with a noteworthy event that was reported on by local media. What are we, wikipedia now? Was my event not notable enough for the Pit?
That is correct, Greg; your event is not notable enough for the Pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my response
Try taking off those CCW-colored glasses you see the world through and consider, objectively, if I would lock the following Shit Threads:

"My band organized an Obama rally."

"My community's LGBTASPCA is raising awareness for queer goldfish."

"My campus's Vegan Marxists Anonymous is doing a performance of the Vagina Monologues."

It doesn't have anything to do with you.

I am not trying to take away your guns...-thread-related posting privileges.

Plus you didn't make your saving throw.

Last edited by möbiustrip; 10-02-2008 at 02:06 PM..

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

what is Greg's THAC0?

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
what is Greg's THAC0?
He takes a small encumbrance penalty for the Kevlar vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my response, round 2
Here's the problem: your description of the importance of your event is by definition salesmanship. The Pit is not where you pimp your personal achievements.

If you've decided your role here is to propagandize a pet cause, and plan to spam about it as much as will be tolerated, you will need to show relevance. Chalking up your campus doesn't pass muster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg
Mine was "My organization, part of a nationwide organization with 33,000 members that is arguably one of the largest organized college activist groups out there, staged an event that got local media attention, both web and TV, and by posting it in the pit, will reinvigorate discussion about CCW on campus, which has not seen a topic in months with the same subject in the Pit."

But no, you make a comparison to "queer goldfish."

*That's "using" my mod privileges to "lock shit threads" based on what I find notable. It's what they're for.
Quote:
Of course it doesn't. It has to do with you abusing* your mod privileges to stifle* discussion* based on what you find notable, Saxifrage.

möbiustrip

I don't want to be misquoted later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by my response, round 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg
If you think I posted that thread to inflate my e-penis, then you don't have the proper deduction skills necessary to be a mod.
Aren't you the Greg Plautz in the article? You described it yourself as a shameless plug.

Quote:
It was posted as an event that happened recently that would be a catalyst to start a discussion about CCW on campus, which, last I checked, is how the pit works: Event, Thread, Discussion.
I am not your publicist. As I've said twice already, you and five buddies playing with chalk does not constitute an "event."

Quote:
"pet cause." There's a reason the nationwide group has 30,000 members, and that's because safety on campus is very relevant in times like these.
Save it for your brochure. There's a reason you're peeing down your leg that I locked your shitty thread, and it ain't because 30,000 people have been silenced.

Quote:
-A thread with a first post consisting of nothing but flaming against Houston residents that should of been locked immediately
That's irony re: Katrina you've chosen not to appreciate. Flaming is not a lockable offense here.

Quote:
-A thread asking a question easily answered by google
I hate that Homework thread more than you do, but I rolled a 12. Rules are rules.
Quote:
-A thread intended to flame McCain for not knowing how many houses he owned
He's a presidential candidate. We're a politics forum.
Quote:
-How many Free_Willy threads are on the first page right now?
Apparently not enough, because he pitched a shit-fit in the main forum and you're following suit.

Quote:
Mod sass. All there is to it.
Think what you want. I'm not opening [this] thread.

Closed Thread