General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
"Hey guys, all those sciency articles about sciency things are wrong. btw the ice age is coming guys, this sciency article said so"
Just speculation about things that may or may not happen...kind of like the global warming doomsday prophets if you ask me.

edit- with 100% less drama...there is no money to be made or political power gained by trying to control the sun.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Just speculation about things that may or may not happen...kind of like the global warming doomsday prophets if you ask me.

edit- with 100% less drama...there is no money to be made or political power gained by trying to control the sun.

Its a little more than speculation and is unlike AGW fully falsifiable

It did not have to fake atmospheric cooling and contraction and claim its false but ture

TheMorlock

Quote:

Responding to him directly is futile. If I was pro warming he would be on the other side because he is still after over too many years to count angry at me for slapping him arround indirectly in the schmuck gangbang thread. It's patheticl

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:

I guess the appropriate thing would be to compare it with the opposite. Since you always feel the need to make some algore-suggestions on profit and gain, I wonder is there any monetary incentive to deny global warming

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Responding to him directly is futile. If I was pro warming he would be on the other side because he is still after over too many years to count angry at me for slapping him arround indirectly in the schmuck gangbang thread. It's patheticl
You certainly hold yourself in high regard, but it's kind of sad when you're the only one doing it

PS. The plane really does take off you contrarian shithead, kill yourself

TheMorlock

Gibonius

Your (doubtlessly useless) article doesn't work.

Gibonius

Now it does!

Not a bad article really, snarky tone aside, simply because it demonstrates the complexity of the system and the ongoing dialog inside the scientific community. We've always known that there are an awful lot of factors involved in climate and cooling from particulate emissions (which the Chinese coal is really prone to) has been demonstrated pretty consistently. Global cooling was never accepted widely back in the 1970s, journalistic hysteria aside, but the downward forcing effect was certainly demonstrated although never expected to lead to actual decreases in temperature.

The conclusion of "The political consequence of this article seems to be that the simplest solution to global warming is for the Chinese to burn more coal, which they intend to do anyway," is pretty awful, since the direct negative consequences of particulate and sulfur emissions is well known from the US and Europe. Better to have global warming than that, most likely.

Last edited by Gibonius; 07-06-2011 at 09:08 AM..

TheMorlock

And of course for the sulfur compounds to have significant cooling effect they have to be near the top of the atmosphere. Line up correctly to act as a mirror surface undisturbed for significant periods and reflect higher freq rays back out to space. And to get to those heights in significant quantity they apparently need to be ejected by volcanoes. Mere wandering clouds from coal plants are unlikely to reach the heights needed to have any effect. I guess we just have to depend on the Prius to stop volcanic activity

But anyway

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...solar_minimum/

Last edited by TheMorlock; 07-06-2011 at 12:26 PM..

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
And of course for the sulfur compounds to have significant cooling effect they have to be near the top of the atmosphere. Line up correctly to act as a mirror surface undisturbed for significant periods and reflect higher freq rays back out to space. And to get to those heights in significant quantity they apparently need to be ejected by volcanoes. Mere wandering clouds from coal plants are unlikely to reach the heights needed to have any effect. I guess we just have to depend on the Prius to stop volcanic activity

But anyway

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...solar_minimum/
Blasphemy

Heretics such as professor Lockwood, the writer and editor of this article should be burned at the stake. Or maybe partially hanged, cut down and then have their hearts ripped out while they're still alive..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Gibonius

A decrease in solar activity would certainly diminish the immediate need for reducing greenhouse gases, but really doesn't say anything at all about the underlying physical phenomena. Eventually we're going to have to pay the piper on warming, the CO2 will still be there (and will still be increasing and accumulating) for the next period of high solar activity.

TheMorlock

Sorry gibs, CO2 did not have the claimed effect during our double solar max. Your runaway greenhouse effect is slower than a turtle. Walking up a park slide. In the rain. With rollerblades on.

Gibonius

Quote:
Sorry gibs, CO2 did not have the claimed effect during our double solar max. Your runaway greenhouse effect is slower than a turtle. Walking up a park slide. In the rain. With rollerblades on.
The lack of a runaway greenhouse effect is a strawman at best, considering it was only speculated about as a possibility down the road. It was never a tenant of AGW theory. We saw increased warming relative to the increase in solar activity. That's AGW.

It's not going to go away if the sun's output diminishes either, just become a lot less pressing of a concern. The effect will still be there.

TheMorlock

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Yeah right