General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
This entire thread is about AGW warmists trying to treat each accidental disproof by various branches of physics and chemistry that are not even addressing the issue except by existing as if they were only one isolated island that happens to show AGW as advocacy science instead of the avalanche it is.

They depend on people forgetting the last two dozen examples.

Shouldn't you be working on that paper about how heat creates CO2 on Venus?

And something about a hat. There's always a hat involved in your roleplay.
__________________
TheMorlock: "i have a 140+ IQ"

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha
Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1966  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 10-23-2011, 01:43 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1967  

CRasch
A Righteous Infliction of Retribution
 
CRasch's Avatar
 
__________________
http://www.crasch.net/
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM CRasch is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1968  

Gibonius
 
Another valiant skeptic corrupted by Bad Science
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1969  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Another valiant skeptic corrupted by Bad Science

I bet he just took bad science for granted


AND BY GRANTED I MEAN A REAL BIG GRANT FROM ECONAZI AL GORE LOLZ!!!

__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1970  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
There is actually a fair amount of data in support of the global warming theory. The IPCC website is a good place to start.

While there might be room to question its cause, it's quite clear there has been a warming trend.

It is pretty much a fact by now that there is a trend in the Earth's temperature getting warmer. However, 30 years ago there were studies that predicted/showed we were heading towards an ice age. Go figure

The theory of global warming however is not the theory of that the earth is getting warmer. It's a theory that the earth is getting warmer AND that man is causing it. However, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for questing it. I question anything that relates to money - and the whole "go green" just shouts dollar signs and sounds "Chah- Ching!" Figures, liberals are the only one's stupid enough to fall for paying out the ass for nothing without even questioning the legitimacy.

I will admit, I have heard shit like "Every scientist pretty much believes the global warming theory" - However, I am having a hard time finding ANYTHING reliable showing this or proving this. As hard headed as I can be sometimes, I can't argue with scientists - because that's not my studies of expertise. Could someone please direct me to some studies or something where it doesn't just pull like "all scientists believe xxxx" out of their ass?
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1971  

JCviggen
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
The theory of global warming however is not the theory of that the earth is getting warmer. It's a theory that the earth is getting warmer AND that man is causing it. However, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for questing it. I question anything that relates to money - and the whole "go green" just shouts dollar signs and sounds "Chah- Ching!"


I don't think going "green", as much as I hate the saying and the concept, is about money.
Burning fossil fuels till we run out is pretty much the best way to make as much money as possible. Going green hurts.

You're certainly correct that it is by no means proven that humanity is having a real effect on the climate. That says less about the likelihood if it being true than the gigantic complexity of our climate. There's such a vast amount of different things that influence the climate all on their own, which makes it very hard to isolate the effect of humanity's emissions into the atmosphere.

It is pretty obvious that the magnitude of our emissions must have an effect on the climate. Even if we don't know exactly what and how, doesn't it seem prudent to at least attempt to minimize our impact?
If we wait until the evidence stares us in the face and becomes impossible to ignore, by that time it is going to be too late to start "solving" the problem.
Now I'm not saying we need to go into panic here, but it would seem ill advised to ignore the whole thing for lack of conclusive evidence. In my opinion we should have at least a moral duty to tread carefully for our children's children sake.
If in the end it turns out that it was all for nothing, then that's great news. If it turns out we buttfucked our offspring for not "believing" this altogether not implausible theory then we won't be able to change it anymore.

I think the problem "over there" in America is that it is socially accepted to not "believe" in scientific stuff if you don't like what it implies. *cough*evolution*cough*

With something as important as global warming, I think keeping an open mind and to err on the side of caution is the only right attitude. Not that we all have to become treehuggers overnight or ban all cars except the Prius, but to simply ignore a potential problem like this is similarly retarded.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Last edited by JCviggen; 11-10-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM JCviggen is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1972  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
It is pretty much a fact by now that there is a trend in the Earth's temperature getting warmer. However, 30 years ago there were studies that predicted/showed we were heading towards an ice age. Go figure
There was a study, and it got wildly hyped by the media out of all proportion to it's impact in the scientific community. It was never widely accepted, even back then most scientists were predicting a warming trend.

Quote:
I will admit, I have heard shit like "Every scientist pretty much believes the global warming theory" - However, I am having a hard time finding ANYTHING reliable showing this or proving this. As hard headed as I can be sometimes, I can't argue with scientists - because that's not my studies of expertise. Could someone please direct me to some studies or something where it doesn't just pull like "all scientists believe xxxx" out of their ass?
To preface: I am actually a scientist. From my experience, it is absolutely true that nearly all practicing physical scientists accept AGW.

This Wiki article links out to dozens of scientific organizations that have signed statements confirming that their members believe in man-made global warming. These organizations are usually pretty reticent to make broad statements on complex issues, but it's become necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change

Here's another page talking about the consensus, with some good links.
http://www.wunderground.com/resources/climate/928.asp

Among the blurbs, "97% of scientists are convinced about AGW."
Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1973  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

A pretty reasonable path for the US would be: utilizing natural gas much more heavily (lower carbon footprint than coal or oil), fixing our nuclear regulation and building some more plants, building wind and solar where optimal, then transitioning to other forms of energy as they develop.
This may be the first thing you've posted in this ginormous thread that I can mostly agree with.

The only problem is that natural gas (and the new fracking methods) wells are causing concern because of the enormous quantities of water they use...and the chemicals being pumped into areas were it can get into well water supplies. Not to mention the fact that replacing pressurized gas with water acts as a lubricant for previously dormant fault lines....hench the quakes around the country where there weren't any previously. Even so, what you propose sounds like a sane solution...and common sense.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM joemama is online now  
Reply With Quote
#1974  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
To preface: I am actually a scientist. From my experience, it is absolutely true that nearly all practicing physical scientists accept AGW.

I am actually a scientist.
From my experience nearly all practicing scientists accept that humans are, in some way, contributing to a warming planet.

That *is not the same* as the premise that humans are the sole cause of warming.
That *is not the same* as the premise that a reduction in emissions will reverse warming patterns
That *is not the same* as the premise that carbon emissions are the most significant cause of warming.


The problem is that the "scientific consensus" is so widely misrepresented and misinterpreted that the political ramifications may be reckless, pointless and/or dangerous.

There is still an ongoing issue with the "official" statement from APS.
If you are a member I'm sure you've read about it in the newsletter.
__________________
09 F9
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1975  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I am actually a scientist.
From my experience nearly all practicing scientists accept that humans are, in some way, contributing to a warming planet.

That *is not the same* as the premise that humans are the sole cause of warming.
That *is not the same* as the premise that a reduction in emissions will reverse warming patterns
That *is not the same* as the premise that carbon emissions are the most significant cause of warming.


The problem is that the "scientific consensus" is so widely misrepresented and misinterpreted that the political ramifications may be reckless, pointless and/or dangerous.

There is still an ongoing issue with the "official" statement from APS.
If you are a member I'm sure you've read about it in the newsletter.


he still thinks his sealed jar of CO2 is a valid model for the atmosphere with the effects of insolation cosmic rays van allen belt distortion earthquakes tidal forcing meteor showers interstellar/interplantary dust vulcanism and jello shots having no effect.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1976  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
It is pretty much a fact by now that there is a trend in the Earth's temperature getting warmer. However, 30 years ago there were studies that predicted/showed we were heading towards an ice age. Go figure

The theory of global warming however is not the theory of that the earth is getting warmer. It's a theory that the earth is getting warmer AND that man is causing it. However, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for questing it. I question anything that relates to money - and the whole "go green" just shouts dollar signs and sounds "Chah- Ching!" Figures, liberals are the only one's stupid enough to fall for paying out the ass for nothing without even questioning the legitimacy.

I will admit, I have heard shit like "Every scientist pretty much believes the global warming theory" - However, I am having a hard time finding ANYTHING reliable showing this or proving this. As hard headed as I can be sometimes, I can't argue with scientists - because that's not my studies of expertise. Could someone please direct me to some studies or something where it doesn't just pull like "all scientists believe xxxx" out of their ass?
Did you spend 5 seconds looking at wikipedia or using google because it's really easy to find surveys of scientists on climate change
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1977  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I am actually a scientist.
From my experience nearly all practicing scientists accept that humans are, in some way, contributing to a warming planet.

That *is not the same* as the premise that humans are the sole cause of warming.
That *is not the same* as the premise that a reduction in emissions will reverse warming patterns
That *is not the same* as the premise that carbon emissions are the most significant cause of warming.


The problem is that the "scientific consensus" is so widely misrepresented and misinterpreted that the political ramifications may be reckless, pointless and/or dangerous.

There is still an ongoing issue with the "official" statement from APS.
If you are a member I'm sure you've read about it in the newsletter.
That doesn't contradict anything he said, or even really clarify anything.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1978  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superllamapoop View Post
global warming is simple. what happens when there are too many people in one room? the room gets hot from everyone's body heat. the world is over populated. those fucking chinks have over a billion people. let's start there. take out 1/2 their population and the world's temperature will go down.

fact.

See: One child policy, China...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1979  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
That doesn't contradict anything he said, or even really clarify anything.

It undermines the assumed point of what the "scientific consensus" is about.
__________________
09 F9
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1980  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.