General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Nofoa

I have shot several glocks and XD's, never cared for the grip feel. But they are supremely reliable unless you get one of the rare duds.

I'd go for the glock 36 or 17. My main reason would be a smaller grip 45, or the full capacity 9mm glock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yar11800 View Post
I like the 26. I feel it is the most shootable of all the sub compacts. With a little trigger work and some aftermarket sights you got the ultimate carry gun. It can take the larger mags so I would carry with a 10 rounder and have an extra G17 17 round mag w/ +5 extension (23+1) as your "go to mag" for your reload if nessasary.

can't have hi-cap mags in canada

5 years in jail for each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
I too have heard of extractor issues on the XD.

which is why I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 40

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

KorrMuraan

screw the G36, I've got one and it's crap

most Glocks are extremely reliable, but the G36 has been anything but
Its spring is extremely tight as a workaround for the short action and unless you have a deathgrip on it (and sometimes even with) you'll end up with stovepipes no matter which ammo you choose to feed it

I went to the 1911 officer style and haven't looked back

btw...
I'm selling a G36 in very good condition if you're interested. It was an absolute pleasure to own, but it's time I passed the joy on to the next lucky owner!
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Last edited by KorrMuraan; 03-26-2008 at 11:14 PM..

po89mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
bears?

.357 Mag is your bare minimum, and I'd recommend .44 mag. None of the smaller carry calibers will come close unless your shot is dead on and you're one lucky SOB.

Of the ones listed - G29 all the way. 10mm is the closest. I'd still go bigger though.

++ what he said,

a bear or a cat (even a small one) aint even close to being in the same league as your typical thin skinned two legged preditor.

pack a wheel gun in a stout magnum caliber, if not then your only other sensable option is to carry around a can of bear mace.

Last edited by po89mm; 03-26-2008 at 11:41 PM..

Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1650 View Post
Bump. We can get XD45 compact for 150$ less than the G30 and on paper they looks like very good combat handguns. Does [m] has experience with them ?

I own an XD-45, yet to encounter a problem, and it is my carry gun.

st1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
can't have hi-cap mags in canada

5 years in jail for each one.

That's a gross over-exaggeration.

Bruce Montague was an Albertan gunsmith, he was caught with firearms with serial # removed, 22lr silencers and explosives. He got 18 months of jail.

lopoetve

Quote:
This is not Hollywood. Desert Eagle are a fucking pain. They're way less reliable than any Glocks/USP/Sigs. They're heavy, not concealable at all.

we're talking about BEARS. NOT concealing, BEARS. Fucking 4 legged machines of doom.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

st1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
we're talking about BEARS. NOT concealing, BEARS. Fucking 4 legged machines of doom.

I know, but I wouldn't bring a Desert Eagle for bears. I've heard too much about their reliability. Like I said I choose the G27 for range and I'll get a compact 12g for bears.

po89mm

with all due respect the D-E is one pig of a pistol.

unless your 12 foot tall and built like a reinforced brickshit house its gonna be a major pain to lug it around all day. A good 45 colt or 44 mag revolver will put down just about anything short or a monster brown bear and be a LOT easier to carry.

even still idbe reluctant using anything short of 300 win on ole smokey.

Last edited by po89mm; 03-27-2008 at 11:29 AM..

lopoetve

Quote:
I know, but I wouldn't bring a Desert Eagle for bears. I've heard too much about their reliability. Like I said I choose the G27 for range and I'll get a compact 12g for bears.

12g is a bad choice for bears - too much trouble in close contact. You want a snub-nose .44mag/.454 Casull pocket cannon.

edit: I wouldn't bring a Deagle for bears either, but I also wouldn't worry about concealing it if I did. You want a wheel gun.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

yar11800

If the bear is on top of you (contact range) your screwed to begin with. I don't know how much you've shot a large caliber snub nose but it is not fun or easy. First your not going to practice because of the price of ammo and the unpleasantness.

OK let's only talk about bear defense and I know something about this from living in montana. If the bear is 100 yards away where I could use a rifle I would let him be. Where you need to worry is if he closes to under 100 yards. Say he is 50 yards and moving agressively towards you This is where a shotgun with slugs is going to come in. At under 100 yards slugs are great. You also can pump a shotgun a lot faster than working a bolt action so you can get more than one or two shots off in nessasary.

We had a dog named tripod. That's his name because a bear damaged one of his hind legs and is no longer able to support weight. Basicly tripods hip is fused shut. Well bears every so often would come by to try to eat tripod because tripod is an outside dog. Tripod would bark to wake me up and hide under the house. I would then camp out in the upstairs window (3 story) and prepare to shoot the bear. I only did this once and that was after the bear ripped a door off one hinge. This was a good bear shoot according to the indians (we lived on reservation land which is a good portion of montana). If I were to shoot the bear just for being on the property we could be in trouble with the tribe. Being a good shoot the tribe came out, did not fine us, but did take the bear. So I can say with first hand experience that a slug stops a bear cold if you do your part.

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
That's a gross over-exaggeration.

Bruce Montague was an Albertan gunsmith, he was caught with firearms with serial # removed, 22lr silencers and explosives. He got 18 months of jail.

Uhhh he got the short term cause he's a gunsmith.

Phone up the CFC and they'll tell you exactly what I posted.

Quote:

Norinco HP9

14" barrel

I love mine

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

Defiler

If your worried about bears, bring a long gun, almost ALL pistols are underpowered for the job of taking down a pissed off bear. I live in north central Idaho, and we have bears here, not all that different than montana. I carry a .45, but I dont have illusions of stopping a grizzly dead in its tracks. I have encountered bears before, and they are timid, wouldn't take much to scare it off, but only if I didn't accidentally corner the bear first.

IF i chose a handgun for bears, which i would not. it would be nothing less than a hot .357 Magnum load. A .44 Magnum would be better, but although recoil is harsh, at close range, I could give a fuck less if it hurts to shoot it, I would just want the bear gone.

I will agree with yar on this one though, 12 Ga slugs and 00 Buckshot are a great option, I carry an 18'' Mossberg 500 12ga with 00 buck when im out on the ATV trails, as well as my .45 on my hip. I have a friend who has a lever action .357 mag rifle he carry's when hes out and about in the woods.

yar11800

granted if your being charged by a bear and all you had was the most unpleasnt handgun to shoot in the world your going to roll the trigger and do what you need to try to stay alive.

My point is that you will do very little to prepare before put in this position. Because a snub nose 44, 454 Casull, or 500 s&w are so unpleasant to practice with you won't practice. Then when your life is on the line your not going to be able to hit with it. Your not going to get a good follow up shot. Basicly your dead.

Now bears are funny animals. For the most part they are very timid unless they are with cubs or they have aclimated themselves to people. When they are no longer afraid of people then they are very dangerous. When we were in Montana we had to have bear proof trash cans and it was a crime to leave food out where a bear can get to it. The bears learn that easy food can be had in town and after a few raids were no longer afraid of people. Every year at least one person was killed by bear.

I would say if you have a 9mm and you practice with it then your probably better off than with a big wheel gun you never practice with. Either way when your time is up it is up. At least with my 9mm glock I can make sure that bear doesn't enjoy trying to eat me. You never know if I get enough head shots as it closes I might get a lucky mouth or eye socket fight stopper or at least make that bear so ugly that all his bear buddies will know Yar went down fighting.