General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Control

Share your opinion on Sig Sauer pistols

I'm yet another first time gun buyer and a newcomer to the WMD subforum. I'm sure I should be lurking more, but I'm going to the range this weekend to rent a few handguns and I'd like some opinions first. I'm looking specifically at 9mm pistols and so far I am leaning toward the Sig P226. When I first saw it I loved the appearance and it feels extremely natural in my hand. Almost everything I have read states that it is an extremely reliable and accurate weapon. Obviously the only thing it has against it is cost.

I read through the other threads on the front page with other people looking to buy guns for the first time, and I see a lot of you recommend Glocks. I know Glocks are extremely reliable too, but I have heard that they are less tolerant of various kinds of ammunition than the Sig, and can jam on some kinds. I could just have been talking to rabid Sig disciples, though.

Anyway, if you scroll down on this link, they have a list of guns available for rent. I will definitely be trying the Sig P226 and the Glock 17. Unfortunately they do not have a XD for rent, which is another I'd like to try.

Gen[M]ay Style Cliffs:
1. What does this forum think of Sig Sauer pistols in general?
2. The P226 specifically?
3. Glock's reliability?
4. Recommend some 9mm pistols off of this list for me to try this weekend.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Defiler

too bad the xd isnt on the list, I think for a new shooter, the XD is going to feel A LOT more comfortable in your hand then the glock. Im not familiar with the sig, But id also check out the M&P they have there.

godofcheese

I dont' have a huge experience with the sig line, but recently we picked up a 225. Single stack 9mm. I am VERY impressed with its proformance. I am not a 9mm guy at all (prefer a 1911) but this is nice. Very accurate, easy to use and looks good to boot. I am really not complaining that we picked it up for $320 new.

No experience with the 226. I know it is the model they moved to from the 225, but from what I am reading, most people don't like it as well.

A glock is reliable as hell. I have never seen one jam when fed ok ammo. They are known to shoot every time you pull the triger no matter what abuse you put them through. They are all buisness though. No real charitor to them at all if you ask me. It is a tool, and nothing more.

yar11800

Start with the Glock 34 and compare everything else to that. The 34 comes with the factory 3.5 lbs trigger which any of the other glocks can be upgrade to with one drop in part. The trigger can be brought down as low as 1.25 lbs with aftermarket parts.

The glock is the standard the other polymer guns are judged by in turms of reliability, capacity, and shootability. The low bore axis (barrel sits lower in your hand giving you more mechanical leverage), and short trigger reset (point the trigger has to come forward to reset for the next shot) makes for a pistol that is easier to shoot fast and accurate.

The glock and the 1911 are the two most popular platforms for competition shooting, and of course the glock is the most popular platform for law enforcement, and goverment agencies.

The sig does not have as great a magazine capacity, super high bore axis, longer DA/SA trigger. While I don't really have a problem with the sigs as I think they are decent pistols, I do not recomend them for the above reasons.

Aseras

I have a 220, .45. I like it. Hogue grips make it perfect. I can shoot nice groups at 25 yards with it.

I like how it breaks down. lock the slide back, flip a switch and drop the slide and it pops apart. you could do it one handed. Nicest gun to strip ever! My S&W 457 is a pain the ass to strip and a glock is retarded having to pull the trigger.

solareon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
I have a 220, .45. I like it. Hogue grips make it perfect. I can shoot nice groups at 25 yards with it.

I like how it breaks down. lock the slide back, flip a switch and drop the slide and it pops apart. you could do it one handed. Nicest gun to strip ever! My S&W 457 is a pain the ass to strip and a glock is retarded having to pull the trigger.

almost every 45 i've used disassembles in a similar fashion. My dad's new XD you lock the slide, flip the switch 90 degrees. release the slide and pull the trigger and the slide pops off. Push back the spring and then presto field stripped.
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(

MdBlades

The p226's reliability is up there with glock. Has a more comfortible grip than glock, and is dead nuts reliable. I trust my life to a sig p226, and have had it run wet, dry. Eats everything i feed it.

I caught the jeep thing, now it burns when i pee.

2k7 Wrangler unlimted.

Daemonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yar11800 View Post
Start with the Glock 34 and compare everything else to that. The 34 comes with the factory 3.5 lbs trigger which any of the other glocks can be upgrade to with one drop in part. The trigger can be brought down as low as 1.25 lbs with aftermarket parts.

The glock is the standard the other polymer guns are judged by in turms of reliability, capacity, and shootability. The low bore axis (barrel sits lower in your hand giving you more mechanical leverage), and short trigger reset (point the trigger has to come forward to reset for the next shot) makes for a pistol that is easier to shoot fast and accurate.

The glock and the 1911 are the two most popular platforms for competition shooting, and of course the glock is the most popular platform for law enforcement, and goverment agencies.

The sig does not have as great a magazine capacity, super high bore axis, longer DA/SA trigger. While I don't really have a problem with the sigs as I think they are decent pistols, I do not recomend them for the above reasons.

I'm really thinking about buying a Glock 34 or Glock 35. I shot my friends Glock 35, hated the grip but fell in love with the accuracy and ease of rapid fire.

Aseras

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareon View Post
almost every 45 i've used disassembles in a similar fashion. My dad's new XD you lock the slide, flip the switch 90 degrees. release the slide and pull the trigger and the slide pops off. Push back the spring and then presto field stripped.

you don't have to pull the trigger on sigs. the slide comes right off.

XD are SA's glock knock off guns. the XD's do have some nicer safety features though.

yar11800

At the shot show Springfield had their new XD with a manual safety. My god how many damn safeties does a gun need. You got a grip safety, a trigger safety, a drop safety, and now a manual safety. Too many mecanical safeties and doesn't address the one safety that matters. That is the shooter because if your finger is on the trigger the gun is going to fire.

I like the glock because there is one external safety and that is the trigger. If you pull the trigger the gun is going to fire. It is my experience that makes people safer because they are use to the concept that the only safety is the trigger so don't be putting your finger on the trigger unless your planning on drilling a hole into something.

With all these manual safety guns I see a lot of people with their finger on the trigger when they should be because they think they are safe because the thumb, grip whatever safety is engaged.

yar11800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonite View Post
I'm really thinking about buying a Glock 34 or Glock 35. I shot my friends Glock 35, hated the grip but fell in love with the accuracy and ease of rapid fire.

The wide body guns such as the glock do take some getting used to. You also have to use the thumbs forward modern iso grip/stance. With a thumbs down or crossed grip the gun is going to be much harder to control.

http://www.madtrigger.net/smf/index....71.msg1177#new

Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
too bad the xd isnt on the list, I think for a new shooter, the XD is going to feel A LOT more comfortable in your hand then the glock. Im not familiar with the sig, But id also check out the M&P they have there.
I will definitely try an XD before I purchase. I hated the stock Glock grips too.

Will do on the M&P.

Aseras

Quote:
At the shot show Springfield had their new XD with a manual safety. My god how many damn safeties does a gun need. You got a grip safety, a trigger safety, a drop safety, and now a manual safety. Too many mecanical safeties and doesn't address the one safety that matters. That is the shooter because if your finger is on the trigger the gun is going to fire.

I like the glock because there is one external safety and that is the trigger. If you pull the trigger the gun is going to fire. It is my experience that makes people safer because they are use to the concept that the only safety is the trigger so don't be putting your finger on the trigger unless your planning on drilling a hole into something.

With all these manual safety guns I see a lot of people with their finger on the trigger when they should be because they think they are safe because the thumb, grip whatever safety is engaged.

and yet you have to pull the trigger to strip a glock and xd. Sig's have no safety at all beside the trigger, no manual safety, no mag safety. you don't have to touch it to strip it and it has a hammer drop switch on the side so you don't have to pull the trigger and drop the hammer by hand. I like them because they are simple.
I know several smart guys in a rush or showing off who have fired off a shot striping a glock because they missed a round in the chamber.

Daemonite

Quote:
The wide body guns such as the glock do take some getting used to. You also have to use the thumbs forward modern iso grip/stance. With a thumbs down or crossed grip the gun is going to be much harder to control.

http://www.madtrigger.net/smf/index....71.msg1177#new

I do use the thumbs forward grip, but I'm used to my 1911.

I don't shoot horribly with the Glock, but it's something that has a learning curve for me to get used to.

Control

Quote:

Very nice, I did not know stock Glock triggers went that light. I will definitely be trying the 34 this weekend. Looks like it would be much cheaper to build a Glock 34 than a P226 Elite. Thanks so much for the information.