General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

T.S.Sephiroth
I SUCKED THE KING'S DICK AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TITLE

Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

First gun thread. I've seen a lot of mention of the two shotguns, but never really a direct comparison as it relates to beginners.

For the record, I have absolutely no gun experience. I know quite a bit about how they work and whatnot from studying, but I don't think I've ever actually fired a live round from anything. I'm not really trying to go hunting and I have no real need for self-defense, although home safety would obviously be a nice perk to owning a gun.

I'm basically looking for something that will be comfortable to use as I familiarize myself with all of the working of a gun and make me better prepared to move onto something more interesting. I'm 21, so I could get a handgun too, but I assumed a simple shotgun would be the best to start with. Or a rifle? These are the kind of things I don't know.

I'm not too picky about the specifics, I just want something that I can learn to aim and shoot with and not pick up bad habits. I'm also not looking to spend a tremendous amount of money seeing as how I'm very new to guns and don't really know what my experience will be like. I'm just looking for advice on these two models, which seem to be the most recommended to newbies, or at least advice on something equally beneficial to a firearm newcomer. I don't know if there is any place I can rent or practice shooting different types of weapons before I try them.

Oh, and I'm in Orlando. Maybe DHermit or some others have some local advice.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jfnirvana292
I had this name since 1796.

I think a .22 is a great rifle to start with. Unless you'd rather shoot trap instead of targets?

Anyways, as for the 870 vs 500, i went with the 500 because it was less expensive. My father owns the 870 and thats a good one also...

Edit: I also went with the 20 gauge instead of the 12. It was easier to handle and when I shoot trap after a few hundred rounds my arm gets numb with the 12 gauge...20 should be better in that respec.t

Last edited by jfnirvana292; 03-22-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnirvana292 View Post
I think a .22 is a great rifle to start with. Unless you'd rather shoot trap instead of targets?

For someone with no gun experience I would recommend a .22. You can pick up a Ruger 10/22 for about $200 and a box of 500 rounds is about $10, which means you can do a lot of shooting for very little money (for comparison, my Walmart has 100 12ga shells for $20). The 10/22 also has a ridiculous amount of aftermarket parts and accessories, so you can dress it up however you want. I bet if you asked nicely some of the [M]ers would post pics of theirs.

As far as shot guns go, I can tell you I started on an old break-action 16ga. It kicks harder than any 12 I've shot to date. I would recommend a 20ga, like jfnirvana said, you can shoot all day on a 20ga and not feel it. As far as the Mossberg/Remington argument, I really can't weigh in as I've never fired the Mossberg 500, but I can tell you I love the 870.

yar11800

I would go with either a ruger 10/22 22lr rifle or a remington 870 12 guage shotgun.

The 10/22 is just a fun rifle to shoot and good for beginners. Has hardly any recoil. You can configure then with all kinds of aftermarket parts and they are drop in so you don't need a gunsmith.

The remington 870 is the pump shotgun all other pump shotguns are compared to. The thing is just built beefier than a mossberg and the price difference is not really that much. For the $50 to $75 I would get the 870. I would get the 12 guage just because it is a more versitile round. You have more ammo selection such as buckshot, and slugs for home defense or hunting.

T.S.Sephiroth
I SUCKED THE KING'S DICK AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TITLE

Hm, the .22 sounds like a pretty good choice the more I think about it. I didn't think of getting one because I figured I'd grow out of it really fast, but I suppose it's worth it for a cheap, fun, and easy-to-use rifle.

Anyone with one of the 10/22s have some pics of their setup? I'm the kind of person who would probably spend as much time fiddling with and cleaning my gun as I would shooting it, so I like the easily modified and accessorized aspect of it.

yar11800

My mildly modified 10/22 for racing on steel plates.

Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by yar11800 View Post

Niiiiice.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

I used to be a big mossberg fan, until I shot and owned an 870. Now whenever I handle my friends 500's, they feel loose and cheap.

Love my 870, I shoot 48's all the time with it for trap and use it a ton for duck hunting. It also works as a home defense gun with a big barrel.

Ah, I see you're in Orlando. Um... my suggestion is to go to Shooter's Den and look at their used shotguns, along with Shoot Straight (only after going to Shooter's Den). If you want a rifle, the options are endless, but I'd get a Ruger 10/22. I have a 10/22 but I will never mod it. It was my father's, it was given to him by his father when he was 8. The thing still shoots darts and I just gave it a good cleaning, I've yet to take it back to the range.

Living in Orlando, you're main challenge will be finding a place to shoot your rifle. You need to join an outdoor range, if you PM me I can give you some suggestions. Where in Orlando are you? Are you 21? If so, I'd actually go with a handgun over a rifle.

Last edited by DHermit; 03-22-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Soybomb

You could probably find a used 870 and 10/22 in gun/pawn shop cheap and have them both for the cost of a new 870. Consider taking some classes or paying for an instructors time, then you can be sure what you're practicing isn't bad habits. $200 on lessons will be worth way more to you than $200 on mods to a 10/22 I imagine.

HEMI_426

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.Sephiroth View Post
Hm, the .22 sounds like a pretty good choice the more I think about it. I didn't think of getting one because I figured I'd grow out of it really fast, but I suppose it's worth it for a cheap, fun, and easy-to-use rifle.

Anyone with one of the 10/22s have some pics of their setup? I'm the kind of person who would probably spend as much time fiddling with and cleaning my gun as I would shooting it, so I like the easily modified and accessorized aspect of it.
You will never outgrow a .22LR. They are, IMHO, the cheapest way to have fun shooting, particularly for new shooters. You can buy 500 rounds of ammo for next to nothing, shoot all afternoon, etc...They're just good fun, even after I've been shooting .22s for years.

My 10/22 is fairly "worked" and can run with everything but the high-end range guns, but was built to be a "working" gun. I can throw a sling on it, drag it through the dirt/mud/grass in the woods or fields, hose it down with oil at the end of the day and not feel bad about it. It was built so lefties can shoot it just as easily as righties (as far as the stock is concerned), be fairly light and easy-handling for what it is and is generally about the best general-purpose 10/22 I've ever shot. It's deadly accurate; the number of furry pests that have met their end by rounds fired from this rifle is higher than I can remember.

jfnirvana292

Quote:

DO you have any pictures of your 10/22 when it was stock? Also, what did that stock cost?

jfnirvana292

Quote:
I would go with either a ruger 10/22 22lr rifle or a remington 870 12 guage shotgun.

The 10/22 is just a fun rifle to shoot and good for beginners. Has hardly any recoil. You can configure then with all kinds of aftermarket parts and they are drop in so you don't need a gunsmith.

The remington 870 is the pump shotgun all other pump shotguns are compared to. The thing is just built beefier than a mossberg and the price difference is not really that much. For the $50 to $75 I would get the 870. I would get the 12 guage just because it is a more versitile round. You have more ammo selection such as buckshot, and slugs for home defense or hunting.

From what i found, i got the 500 for 180 dollars new, and the least expensive 870 i could find locally was 350.. i couldnt justify it..

yar11800

best i've seen is 220 for the mossberg 500 and $300 for the 870. $300 is regular sale price on the rem 870 18" express magnum. Can be had at big 5 every other month.

jfnirvana292

Quote:
best i've seen is 220 for the mossberg 500 and $300 for the 870. $300 is regular sale price on the rem 870 18" express magnum. Can be had at big 5 every other month.

Yeah, it was 220 regular price at kmart and i used a 20 percent off coupon

Tool510

why all the mossberg hate? I own a mossberg500 12ga. that i picked up for $150 w/ a second 18.5" security barrel. one of the finest guns ive ever owned. Its simple, rugged, reliable and built by an all american owned family company.