General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Daemonite

Tips on cold bluing...

I'm going to refinish my CZ SP-01's barrel tonight, I have brake cleaner for degreasing, a heat gun, Birchwood Casey blue remover and Permablue and a shit load of steel wool.

I hear it's just as easy as degrease, degrease, degrease, then apply the blue remover, wait 5 min and hit it with the steel wool until it's shiny. Rinse and degrease again, and then using a cotton swab apply the cold blue, rinse, apply again until darkness is achieved. Rinse, dry, hit it with steel wool and oil?

My CZ's barrels stock bluing is all worn off pretty much. Yes...this is all for cosmetics mostly.

Last edited by Daemonite; 03-25-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

yar11800

the cold blue on a high wear area like the barrel is not going to last very long either. What's the point it's a gun. The wear adds character.

It's not like a sp01 qualifies as a safe queen. I could see if it was some 1911 that was too pretty to shoot.

I say rock that CZ hard and make it look like the tool it's meant to be.

Daemonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yar11800 View Post
the cold blue on a high wear area like the barrel is not going to last very long either. What's the point it's a gun. The wear adds character.

It's not like a sp01 qualifies as a safe queen. I could see if it was some 1911 that was too pretty to shoot.

I say rock that CZ hard and make it look like the tool it's meant to be.

It will be, I'm going to reblue this barrel and send it off to my gun smith for a competition hammer, some new springs, and then go learn to shoot IPSC with a couple of friends. The bluing was gone from the factory, but now I have a chance to wear it out myself.

Plus I'm still waiting on my friggin blade tech holster....