General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200 View Post
Yeap, it's restricted; Barrel length of less than 18.5"

edit: FWIW yes, there is a "restricted" license you can get in Canada, but it's added time and expense and I'm not ready for that at this point.

Dude just get the restricted. It's an extra day and an extra book. It'll be nice to have it all out of the way all at once. But on that note, getting a restricted long arm is silly because you get stuck with all the pistol limitations (ATT etc)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Naveronski

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
10/22

Sucka

10/22

Great plinker, cheap to shoot.

tmoney1876

Quote:
edit: Also, any comments on .17 vs .22? From what I've read .17M2 has a flatter trajectory and higher velocities. Would that make it the superior choice for target work?

If you are doing small varminting, like squirrels or something like that, or if you are really doing target shooting, then .17m2 or .17hmr does shoot flatter, but if you are just plinking, .22lr is best.

Plinking=cheap

If you are looking for something fun to shoot at a target or at a varmint, I would look at the .204 ruger cartridge. It isn't nearly as cheap as .22lr, but it is very fun because it shoots so flat.

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney1876 View Post
If you are doing small varminting, like squirrels or something like that, or if you are really doing target shooting, then .17m2 or .17hmr does shoot flatter, but if you are just plinking, .22lr is best.

Plinking=cheap

If you are looking for something fun to shoot at a target or at a varmint, I would look at the .204 ruger cartridge. It isn't nearly as cheap as .22lr, but it is very fun because it shoots so flat.

Jesus, Wikipedia says that round can easily reach 4200+ fps . I'd love a rifle like that, but a quick check shows that most are probably out of my price range, and I'd rather buy a good quality .17HMR than a shitty .204.

Passion > Precision

monkey-boy

Quote:
Jesus, Wikipedia says that round can easily reach 4200+ fps . I'd love a rifle like that, but a quick check shows that most are probably out of my price range, and I'd rather buy a good quality .17HMR than a shitty .204.

id recommend the 218 bee or the 22 hornet over the 204"

Simply because its gonna be easier to find ammo. Winchester has been making ammo for both since the 30's, and trading post in BFE should have at a couple boxes of either laying around.

Such cant be said about the 204, I don't know how canukastan is with ammo, but i think it would be a good idea to keep its availability in the back of your head somewhere.

Last edited by monkey-boy; 04-12-2008 at 08:33 AM..

onewheeldoin200

Hrmm, I went to Wholesale Sports today and checked out a few rifles. I am extremely unimpressed with the materials used for the synthetic stocks (on the lower end rifles, at least). I thought it'd be something like the rubberized "soft touch" materials they use in car interiors or something...but it's just cheap ass hard plastic with chintsy mold lines

Sooo...looking at wood stocks only now. The apple of my eye has now shifted to this rifle.

In other news, cycling the actions on most of the guns I tried in the store was extremely sticky. Is this just a result of the type of grease it's packed in? Does this sort of thing just need time/use to iron out, or is a new gun usually pretty good after a strip/clean and oiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney1876 View Post

Plinking=cheap

My intention with this rifle is to work on marksmanship principles and work on closing up my groupings over longer ranges and with varying conditions, the eventual goal being moving to a larger setup as budget/skills allow. 17 caliber ammo is about $13 for 50 around here...cheap enough that I'm not worried about it.

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 04-12-2008 at 05:44 PM..

monkey-boy

Quote:

My intention with this rifle is to work on marksmanship principles and work on closing up my groupings over longer ranges and with varying conditions, the eventual goal being moving to a larger setup as budget/skills allow. 17 caliber ammo is about $13 for 50 around here...cheap enough that I'm not worried about it.

it kinda sounds to me that you might get a kick out of benchrest shooting/ competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchrest_shooting

but if thats to anal for you, and your looking for something more hands on look into service rifle shooting / competition.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

even if you dont want to compete, the research may steer you into the direction of the kind of rifle your looking for.

Last edited by monkey-boy; 04-12-2008 at 07:42 PM..

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-boy View Post
it kinda sounds to me that you might get a kick out of benchrest shooting/ competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchrest_shooting

but if thats to anal for you, and your looking for something more hands on look into service rifle shooting / competition.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

even if you dont want to compete, the research may steer you into the direction of the kind of rifle your looking for.

See, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I can see myself doing a lot of in 5 or 10 years

Passion > Precision