General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TwinTurboGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedoman
attn bike riders: God bless the fallen and have mercy on those to fall.

I dropped my bike 3 times already (snapped off the brake lever)... and I still havent gone past 1mph
Learning on a 600cc that weighs 5x as much as you do SUCKS... my parents should have put me on a dirtbike when I was a child It's gonna be a loooong next few months...
1992 Yamaha FZR600 -- my little Red Bitch
Airtech body, Yoshimira exhaust

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Trachei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboGirl
I dropped my bike 3 times already (snapped off the brake lever)... and I still havent gone past 1mph
Learning on a 600cc that weighs 5x as much as you do SUCKS... my parents should have put me on a dirtbike when I was a child It's gonna be a loooong next few months...

GET SOME SLIDERS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:

I know how ya feel

Just think how much fun its going to be going from a 80 hp 470 lb bike to what will be in store for us 1-2 years from now.... 350 lb 135 hp machines

im2smrt4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1114
How much should a 600 mile service cost? IIRC it's just an oil change and making sure nothing came loose...
Well, mine is very involved (oil, filter, final drive oil, and valve ajustment) and it is costing me a bit less than $250 with parts and labor.

FYI, getting to the oil filter requires the removal of the exhaust and the right side foot controls.

im2smrt4u

Quote:
It can be done. My first bike is 640 lbs!

WickedAngel

This is my first bike...I am in love ^_^

97 Kawasaki ZX6R. $3100, down from a $3500 asking price. 15K miles. Very clean.

I'm wondering though...I see a lot of bikes that don't have that big mass of plastic/lights on the underside of the seat. Were they modded or did they just come like that?

Are there any good forums that are completely focused on sport bikes?

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAngel
I'm wondering though...I see a lot of bikes that don't have that big mass of plastic/lights on the underside of the seat. Were they modded or did they just come like that?

Are there any good forums that are completely focused on sport bikes?

fender eliminators. buy one. They do wonders for the look of the bike.

There are a couple genmayers on sportbikes.net

WickedAngel

I'm all over that.

Is the modification hard (I'm not really worried about difficulty; rather, I'm wondering whether or not I have the tools to do it).

For the record, I realize the risk I'm taking is high with starting on a 600. It's hard to come about decent bikes for decent prices in this area (The asses around here were asking more than retail for their 500's). I'm not riding until I take the MSF.

Last edited by WickedAngel; 09-20-2005 at 07:48 PM..

Trachei

Quote:
I'm all over that.

Is the modification hard (I'm not really worried about difficulty; rather, I'm wondering whether or not I have the tools to do it).

For the record, I realize the risk I'm taking is high with starting on a 600. It's hard to come about decent bikes for decent prices in this area (The asses around here were asking more than retail for their 500's). I'm not riding until I take the MSF.

your 97 is nowhere near the level of the new 600s. 77hp vs 110hp of the new 600s (new R6 has even more than that).

WickedAngel

That is comforting to hear. I know the sportbikes.net folks are trying to help us newbies, but they really make it sound like getting on a 600 is signing your death warrant (I haven't talked on the boards, but I've been reading all of their FAQs).

I'm trying my best to do this responsibly. I've bought the gear, signed up for the MSF, and I've ordered a DVD that is supposedly helpful to new riders (A Twist of the Wrist).

It seems like experienced riders think all newbies are getting into the hobby with the "I'm too skilled to die" mentality. We're not all that cocky.

NOOB QUESTION:

The bike I am buying was listed as a 1997 Kawasaki ZX6. I'm looking at after-market parts such as frame-sliders and the fender-eliminator that was suggest earlier but I only see parts advertised for the 1997 ZX6R. I'm not sure of the difference between the two. Would parts for the ZX6R be compatible with the ZX6?

Last edited by WickedAngel; 09-20-2005 at 09:40 PM..

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
NOOB QUESTION:

The bike I am buying was listed as a 1997 Kawasaki ZX6. I'm looking at after-market parts such as frame-sliders and the fender-eliminator that was suggest earlier but I only see parts advertised for the 1997 ZX6R. I'm not sure of the difference between the two. Would parts for the ZX6R be compatible with the ZX6?

Unfortunately they're different bikes. Yours is what they have now called the ZZR600, or the ZX-6E. The ZX6R (given the letter designation F, I believe) was the redesign for your bike.

ZX6R:

ZX6E:

edit: wait, in your first post you called it the zx6r....so just look at the pictures. If yours is the top one then you're okay, otherwise you have the zx6e

edit2: nm i looked at your pic and it's the E

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 09-20-2005 at 10:08 PM..

WickedAngel

My eye isn't as good as yours...I think it's the R, but I can't say for sure. The only thing that seems to stand out about mine is the angular gas tank (Which is why I think it's an R).

**EDIT**

Damn the E

I've got to find sliders and the fender-eliminator for it and everyone else seems to stock for the R.

Last edited by WickedAngel; 09-20-2005 at 10:14 PM..

im2smrt4u

Quote:
That is comforting to hear. I know the sportbikes.net folks are trying to help us newbies, but they really make it sound like getting on a 600 is signing your death warrant (I haven't talked on the boards, but I've been reading all of their FAQs).
Getting a 2005 600cc sport bike might as well be. Just figure that you've got more horsepower than most stock compact/midsize cars and 1/4 or less weight on two wheels. You could get into trouble damn fast.

WickedAngel

All new riders aren't in the market for new bikes though. They don't really mention the disparity between a 600cc bike from the 90's and a 600cc bike made after 2000.

Conna

Not exactly a first bike question here, but anyways: I sold my Aprilia RS 125 and am looking for a bigger bike now. I've found three interesting ones: 2004 CBR 600F, a 2002 CBR 600 F sport and a 1999 R1. The 600F is slightly more expensive than the other two. They all have fairly low mileage, so I'm trying to figure out which would be the best purchase. I know, not the R1 because it's too big and powerful. However, looking at the numbers it only weights slightly more than the hondas, and since it's the carburettor model it doesnt pack quite as big a punch as the newer R1s. And for that matter, it looks the best of the 3 The hondas are both fuel injection afaik, what are the pros and cons of fuel injection/carburettors?