General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lopoetve

I want to say "thank God" for the MSF course... out doing the canyon last night, went into a turn, mis-read the apex (turn went longer than I thought, didn't delay the apex enough), and I was going too fast...

almost reached for the brakes (eek), but instead remembered and simply pushed harder on the low grip, and tightened the turn. Came out nicely. and alive
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

princess0fdiabl0

Today is ride to work day, but i didnt really see anyone other than the regulars at work and no more bikes on the road than normal =X

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Damn it was? Fuck

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0
Today is ride to work day, but i didnt really see anyone other than the regulars at work and no more bikes on the road than normal =X
Oh fuck. No wonder I saw more bikes on the road today.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

well I am now one of VERY few people <21 in CA with a motorcycle permit

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Mod
well I am now one of VERY few people <21 in CA with a motorcycle permit

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
if you look on the DMV's site it claims that if you are <21 you can't get a motorcycle permit. however, as I have been too lazy to get around to getting my drivers license, I have to take a road test of some sort in order to get a license - I can take it on a bike and get an M1, or in a car and get both a C and an M1. because I hadn't taken a road test of any sort, they couldn't give me an actual license.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Mod
if you look on the DMV's site it claims that if you are <21 you can't get a motorcycle permit. however, as I have been too lazy to get around to getting my drivers license, I have to take a road test of some sort in order to get a license - I can take it on a bike and get an M1, or in a car and get both a C and an M1. because I hadn't taken a road test of any sort, they couldn't give me an actual license.

Ohhhh, I see.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve
how bad is it shifting without the clutch?

I suspect it would put more wear on the shift forks and/or the grooves in the gears. I upshift without the clutch once in a long while if I'm doing something with my other hand but otherwise I use the clutch for all upshifts and downshifts.

My GSX-R600 track bike has a worn 3rd/4th gear shift fork--I can't help but suspect that there was a lot of clutchless shifting done on it. Ugh, I am being VERY lazy about getting around to fixing that too.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
I mix using the clutch and not using it, and I've got over 40,000 miles on my Bandit 1200 The transmission is just fine. One of the steel clutch plates is warped though...it doesn't totally disengage. That's a project for the winter.

Are you kidding? Unless there's something wacky about your Bandit, changing the clutch on a sportbike is easy easy easy. I've done the clutch several times in my Gixxer track bike (put it back together, thought I had a washer backwards so I disaassembled and switched it, and THEN I checked the shop manual and realized I had it right the first time) and could probably do it again in under an hour if I went sllloooowwwwllllyyyy..

The only thing is that you may need a clutch basket holder. It's a tool that holds the clutch basket stationery while you loosen the big-ass bolt that holds the basket to the output shaft of the engine. I don't have a basket holder--I used an impact gun to disassemble and used a torque stick to reassemble (so I could get the torque right without having to use a torque wrench).

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket
Are you kidding? Unless there's something wacky about your Bandit, changing the clutch on a sportbike is easy easy easy.*snip*

No, I'm not kidding. I've done a lot more work on my bike than most owners would ever consider, so throwing a wrench at it is no big deal. It just isn't such a big deal that I need to worry about it right this minute. I'd rather ride it than wrench on it since the problem only makes itself known when I try to back the bike up with it in gear and the engine running - the very slight drag tries to inch the bike forward. Like I said, it's not a big deal - just an annoyance that I will take care of in the winter. I'll likely replace the bearing on the outside of the basket and the springs while I'm at it. This bike also uses bellville springs that are only in the center, not the five or six spring setups like the Katana and GSXR's use, kind of dumb if you ask me, but with one heavy duty spring it can handle about 140-150hp. Any more and you have to change to a different basket like out of the old 1127's, and even then the sprag needs to be changed too.

I do know my bike inside and out, thank you very much.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket
The only thing is that you may need a clutch basket holder. It's a tool that holds the clutch basket stationery while you loosen the big-ass bolt that holds the basket to the output shaft of the engine. I don't have a basket holder--I used an impact gun to disassemble and used a torque stick to reassemble (so I could get the torque right without having to use a torque wrench).

Just wrap a tie-down strap in the direction opposite to that of the nut's rotation, and attach the hook to your frame. The basket will then cinch up the strap as you turn, holding it fast.

StarDeath13

since this threads here i just ask my questions here instead of a new thread.
i live in ohio and i will have a bike soon.ive never had a license for one so i need to start there.
there is a msf group in xenia so i could do that.but can anyone say what it costs?
or what are the requirements to get a license yourself threw the bmv?

moving on,insurance? i usually go threw ohio mutual as i have a local agent that i use for my cars.
i dont have a car atm so i dont have a polocy with them.
but can someone give me an idea what a 35year old male with a clean driving record and a ninja 600 would run?just a guess is fine.and also just liability is all id need atm.

this one is dumb but will the bike require high octane gas? im guessing yes,but always worth asking.ive ridden dirt bikes most my life so the street part is new to me.

and yes i know i need tons of practice and training if possible.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13
since this threads here i just ask my questions here instead of a new thread.
i live in ohio and i will have a bike soon.ive never had a license for one so i need to start there.
there is a msf group in xenia so i could do that.but can anyone say what it costs?
or what are the requirements to get a license yourself threw the bmv?

moving on,insurance? i usually go threw ohio mutual as i have a local agent that i use for my cars.
but can someone give me an idea what a 35year old male with a clean driving record and a ninja 600 would run?just a guess is fine.and also just liability is all id need atm.

this one is dumb but will the bike require high octane gas? im guessing yes,but always worth asking.ive ridden dirt bikes most my life so the street part is new to me.

Cost is completely different state to state. $200 - $5, and anywhere in between.

You hvae to pass the written and riding test to get a license.

Insurance depends a lot on location and bike.

yes, most bikes need 91+ octane,

And I wouldn't get a Ninja 600 as a first bike.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13

This all depends on what year youre talking about.

an old 600 will be dirt cheap. A brand new one will cost a little bit. Same for gas. 600's from 1985 to 1998 or so will take 87. from around 1998 to 2002 they will generally take 89. And 2003 and up will take 91+.

So get an old 600 if you do want a 600.