General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

curdledvomit

From http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...UxY&refer=asia

Indonesia's Fifth Human Bird Flu Case Is Confirmed (Update3)
Oct. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The World Health Organization confirmed Indonesia's fifth human case of avian influenza after a 21-year-old man in Lampung province in Sumatra tested positive for the virus.

An ``initial investigation has revealed that the man had direct exposure to diseased and dying chickens in his household shortly before the onset of illness,'' the United Nations agency said on its Web site. Three of the five confirmed cases in Indonesia were fatal, WHO said.

Avian flu cases may increase in Indonesia as the wet season, which typically begins in November and runs until April, starts, WHO said on Oct. 3. Indonesia faces an epidemic unless it can contain an outbreak that has infected at least 10 people in three provinces, Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said on Sept. 22.

There are 98 people across the nation currently under observation for bird flu, I Nyoman Kandun, director general of disease control and environmental sanitation at the Health Ministry, said in a phone interview today. The cases were spread over nine of Indonesia's 33 provinces, he said.

A 50-year-old man with bird flu symptoms died yesterday in Sulianti Saroso hospital after suffering from acute pneumonia, Ilham Patu, a spokesman for the hospital said in a phone interview today. The hospital, one of 44 hospitals across the nation which has been designated to treat bird flu patients, is still treating eight patients, Patu said.

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Doombabies
I desire a punk rock My Little Pony GODDAMMIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit
nice find...whats interesting in that article is that it states that the regular flu kills 36,000 people every year in the USA alone.

What's interesting is that the CDC lumps in deaths from pneumonia in with "flu" deaths.

I owe Dyno and TheMorlock a batch of cookies

Doombabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza
Wouldn't surprise me.

No, not at all. Viruses adapt to the conditions they are in over time. We as a species are exposed to thousands of virus strains that are eventually incorporated into our system as completely harmless. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the only people severely affected by bird flu were people with compromised immune systems (the elderly, children under 1 year old, those with autoimmune disorders and people who are already severely ill). It's going to be flu season anywho so I may as well stock up on probiotics

curdledvomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombabies
What's interesting is that the CDC lumps in deaths from pneumonia in with "flu" deaths.

WHAT IS PNEUMONIA?

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lung caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, and other organisms. Pneumonia is usually triggered when a patient's defense system is weakened, most often by a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection or a case of influenza. Such infections or other triggers do not cause pneumonia directly but they alter the mucous blanket, thus encouraging bacterial growth. Other factors can also make specific people susceptible to bacterial growth and pneumonia.

Doombabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit
WHAT IS PNEUMONIA?

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lung caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, and other organisms. Pneumonia is usually triggered when a patient's defense system is weakened, most often by a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection or a case of influenza. Such infections or other triggers do not cause pneumonia directly but they alter the mucous blanket, thus encouraging bacterial growth. Other factors can also make specific people susceptible to bacterial growth and pneumonia.

But not all cases of pneumonia are caused by influenza. Hence bloated and inaccurate numbers. The CDC lumps all deaths from pneumonia in with influenza deaths.

gg
Kato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombabies
No, not at all. Viruses adapt to the conditions they are in over time. We as a species are exposed to thousands of virus strains that are eventually incorporated into our system as completely harmless. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the only people severely affected by bird flu were people with compromised immune systems (the elderly, children under 1 year old, those with autoimmune disorders and people who are already severely ill). It's going to be flu season anywho so I may as well stock up on probiotics
Historic influenza pandemics seem to suggest otherwise though.......
As soon as we sail on to Cane Garden Bay

Doombabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
Historic influenza pandemics seem to suggest otherwise though.......

Those are a few viruses out of innumerable strains and variants - I'll grant you that avian flu has the potential to become a pandemic, but because it is a strain that's carried and transmitted via birds, and not yet humans, it is impossible to accurately predict just how the variant will mutate if and when it becomes easily and highly transmissible in humans. 5 deaths in what were most likely immune compromised individuals in areas with severe overcrowding such as China is hardly cause for mass widespread panic - remember how people in China died from SARS and everyone went ballistic over what essentially amounted to the common cold here in the US? If I'm wrong and we all die, I owe you 5 bux.

curdledvomit

Looks like the first symptom might be diarrhea...

this from http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...flureview.html

Experts cite differences between H5N1 and ordinary flu

Oct 11, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – A recent and extensive review of research on H5N1 avian influenza in humans shows the illness differs from ordinary flu in several ways, besides the most obvious fact that it is far more deadly.

The report by a World Health Organization (WHO) committee says avian flu may have a longer incubation period and is more likely to cause diarrhea than typical flu viruses are, among other differences.

Published in the Sep 29 New England Journal of Medicine, the review was written by experts from several countries, including Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, the United States, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and Myanmar. They reviewed 71 published studies and reports, including details on 41 confirmed human cases from Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Hong Kong.

The H5N1 virus first jumped from birds to humans in Hong Kong in 1997, infecting 18 people and causing 6 deaths. In late 2003 the virus began sweeping through poultry flocks in East Asia, and since then it has struck at least 116 people and killed at least 60, by the WHO's official count.

The new report says the virus may incubate longer than other human flu viruses before causing symptoms. Incubation periods in ordinary flu range from 1 to 4 days, with an average of 2 days, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In H5N1 cases, the incubation time has mostly been from 2 to 4 days but has stretched to 8 days, the WHO report says. In household clusters of cases, the time between cases has generally ranged from 2 to 5 days but sometimes has been as long as 17 days.

Initial symptoms are more likely to include diarrhea in avian flu than in ordinary flu, the report says. The problem can appear up to a week before any respiratory symptoms. That feature, combined with the detection of viral RNA in stool samples, suggests that the virus grows in the gastrointestinal tract.

Lower respiratory tract symptoms such as shortness of breath appear early in the course of the illness, whereas upper respiratory symptoms such as runny nose are less common, the article says. Also, unlike in ordinary flu cases, the virus may be found in larger amounts in the throat than in the nose.

Most cases so far have been linked with exposure to poultry. Specific activities that have been implicated include plucking and preparation of diseased birds; handling fighting cocks; playing with poultry, especially asymptomatic infected ducks; and consumption of duck's blood or possibly undercooked poultry, the report says.

Vienge.
Vienge
FULL BLOWN WIENER!

Oh great so the next time someone has too much Mexican food they're gonna go to the ER ranting about avian flu...wonderful

ryokurin

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

And then my brain started back up.

So what if it mutates to a benign flu when it goes human to human. That doesn't mean that the threat is gone. As long as H1N5 exists it will continue to jump from bird to man the threat remains

LOLZĀ² baconme
Wheez0r

THE WORLD IS PWNT

This is Wheezor, BTW...

SOMEONE BUY ME BACK MY OLD NAME I BEG OF YOU

curdledvomit

Recount from a 98 year old man that survived the spanish flu pandemic. Very interesting read.

from http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-302413c.html

Big trouble

By LISA JONES

Lou Marion is under quarantine. It isn't an official Health Department decree, but it might as well be. Ever since the boy's parents and three of his six siblings became deathly ill, none of his neighbors in Butler, N.J., will step inside the infected home. At least the doctors visit daily. Unfortunately, the only advice they have for the 11-year-old is to swallow Epsom salts to "help keep his system clean." See, Lou's family has a touch of the flu.

The year is 1918, and people throughout New Jersey are dying faster than carpenters can build caskets. As a result, all sorts of wooden boxes are being used for burial duty. And if a body doesn't fit, well, then you just have to break the limbs and fold them inside. It's different in Philadelphia. They're way beyond boxes. With 11,000 deaths in the month of October alone, and the danger that the corpses will act as incubators for other communicable diseases, the city has resorted to digging mass graves with steam shovels. This was "America versus Influenza" 87 years ago, at the height of World War I. By the time the virus burned itself out in 1919, more than 500,000 people in the United States had died, making the Spanish flu more effective than the German army. Some victims died just days after being infected, probably as a result of a runaway immune reaction called a "cytokine storm," while others lingered for weeks as secondary viral pneumonia ravaged their lungs. "I don't think anybody ever had that kind of flu before," says Lou, nearly 98 now and, despite his failing eyes and ears, still sharp and spirited. "It was something entirely new, and people were shocked and bewildered because they didn't know what to do about it."

dastrike

The cases in Romania and Turkey have been now confirmed as H5N1.

OddOne
LED Gawd <3 t33cael

Unconfirmed three cases in chickens in Columbia. That would mean the virus has jumped across the planet in bird populations.

oO
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.