from http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2086442005

Deadly flu virus has already reached gateway to Europe

SHAN ROSS

Key points
Health officials confirm that H5N1 flu has been indentified in birds in Turkey
Results from dead birds in Romania expected shortly
Only if virus transmits between humans will it become dangerous

Key quote
"We have to prepare for the fact that bird flu will arrive in Britain - and within weeks. But the key is that, as yet, it hasn't been transmitted between humans. That is when we need to panic." - PROF PETER OPENSHAW

Story in full THE deadly bird flu virus will arrive in Britain within weeks, experts warned last night as the EU urged member states to stock up on anti-viral drugs.

Health officials confirmed that the H5N1 strain of flu, which has devastated bird flocks in South-east Asia and which could one day mutate and kill millions of people, had been identified in birds in Turkey.

EU experts are still awaiting results of tests on dead birds in Romania to see if they, too, were infected with the same virulent strain.

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Speedy Gonzales
josegarcias
I hate Jesus because if I loved him I wouldn't be posting here.

I have a question,

if the supply of chickens drops off due to bird flu, and there is a shortage of fried chicken, will this cause riots in the black communities?

ninboy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
I have a question,

if the supply of chickens drops off due to bird flu, and there is a shortage of fried chicken, will this cause riots in the black communities?

HAHAHAHAH. You just made me spit all over my monitor.

All those nigs in France are going to be pissed its reached the EU.
.......v
"Maybe all the hot would-be lesbians get addicted to cock early in life." -

Affinity
I'm letting daggerdragon suck my cock for his USAir miles.

oh noes
O RLY?

curdledvomit

from http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...014?hub=Health

Resistance to Tamiflu found in bird flu patient

CTV.ca News Staff

A Vietnamese girl who came down with the H5N1 avian flu strain appears to have shown resistance to the flu treatment Tamiflu.

That's raising worries that Canada's first line of attack in the case that bird flu leads to a human pandemic may not be effective.

A team of researchers, led by influenza expert Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin, reports that the 14-year old girl was given the drug in late February yet continued to shed resistant viruses after treatment.

Tamiflu is the brand name for oseltamivir and is thought to be one of only a few available flu treatments effective against the deadly H5N1 strain.

For that reason, many countries have been rushing to stockpile the drug in advance of what many epidemiologists say is an inevitable influenza pandemic. Many are worried that H5N1 could be the strain that leads to a human pandemic

Canada has plans to stockpile just under 16 million pills of Tamiflu, enough to treat 1.6 million people, for the first wave of a mild to moderate pandemic.

But this new study, though based on only a single patient, suggests that oseltamivir may not be effective against the bird flu.

curdledvomit

this from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_3619865.htm

H5N1 bird flu can be transmitted among humans: WHOwww.chinaview.cn 2005-10-15 20:24:53

BANGKOK, Oct. 15 (Xinhuanet) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the H5N1 bird flu strain is mutating into a new subtype which could be transmitted among humans, the Thai News Agency reported Saturday.

WHO Regional Director for the Western Pacific Dr. Shigeru Omi on Friday said in Manila that efforts to contain the pandemic had not been effective. He urged affected countries to share more information on bird flu and supply samples to the international community in order to keep track of what form the virus is mutating into.

Dr. Omi said Southeast Asia alone needs 260 million US dollars to combat bird flu in the short-term. In September, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) set up a 2-million US dollar fund to help member nations contain avian flu and other infectious diseases. He estimated that WHO needs 160 million US dollars immediately to help bird flu-hit nations strengthen their ability to diagnose and monitor the disease, as well as to stockpile anti-viral drugs, namely Tamilflu. Meanwhile, Thai Interior Minister Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana has ordered provincial governors nationwide to pay special attention to a possible outbreak of avian influenza during the upcoming cold season.

this from http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP40109.htm

Next human pandemic "inevitable", says U.S. scientist
15 Oct 2005 12:09:01 GMT

Source: Reuters

Background
FACTBOX: Bird flu threatens to become global pandemic

AlertNet roundup of HIV/AIDS facts and figures

GRAPHIC-People living with HIV/AIDS in 2004

CRISIS PROFILE-Why is there conflict in Thailand?

MORE

By Darren Schuettler

HAIPHONG, Vietnam, Oct 15 (Reuters) - The next human pandemic is "inevitable" and the world must prepare now against bird flu and other potentially deadly viruses, a top U.S. government scientist said on Saturday.

"It's been over 30 years since we've had a pandemic, so inevitably we are going to have a pandemic within a reasonable period of time," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"It's not a matter of when or if," he told reporters in Vietnam, where 41 people have died from the H5N1 virus that has now spread to Europe.

Fauci, part of a U.S. mission to Southeast Asian nations worst hit by the virus -- which has killed more than 60 people in Asia since 2003 -- said H5N1 was becoming more worrisome.

Test results on Saturday detected the highly pathogenic virus in Romania and confirmed its arrival in mainland Europe.

The virus was found last week in Turkey and experts say migratory birds may carry the disease farther.

"We as public health officials ... must assume the worst-case scenario and H5N1 is now giving us a lot of signs that is becoming a little more worrisome, if not a lot a more worrisome, because of the events that are going on," Fauci said.

Looks like it won't be long now...

Last edited by curdledvomit; 10-15-2005 at 07:43 AM..

Clyde
*beebeep*
Presenting Michael Knight as Lt. Mitch Buchannon, in a Musical by David Hasselhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard699.jpg
lucky for me i live on an island.
you havent watched "28 days later", have you?

strobl

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit
WASHINGTON, Sep 29, 2005 (UPI via COMTEX) -- The Senate approved more than $3 billion in spending to bolster national defenses against avian flu late Thursday, though it remained unclear whether the money would survive a conference with the House.

The measure, attached to a military funding bill, spends $3.08 billion to increase federal stockpiles of anti-viral medications, including Tamiflu, made by Gilead Pharmaceuticals. The drug can ease flu symptoms and may cut the chances of transmitting the disease.

3 BILLION DOLLARS TO SPEND ON DEFENSES FOR AVIAN FLU...REAL ENOUGH FOR YOU NOW???

They also spent $223 million on a bridge (thats taller than the brooklyn bridge and almost as long as the golden gate bridge) for an alaskan island WITH A POPULATION OF FIFTY, 50, PEOPLE. OH FUCK, SPENDING MONEY MUST MEAN SOME REALLY SERIOUS SHIT!!!!

edit: p.s. the natural course for any virus is to mutate into airborne transmission. this is essentially the internal "goal" of all virii. but hey lucky for us we adapt just like they do. take a fucking class

[M]-Billiards crew

bkeating
I wish I were as cool as djduquet.

maybe this is what i have!?!?!

De7|ro|i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobl
They also spent $223 million on a bridge (thats taller than the brooklyn bridge and almost as long as the golden gate bridge) for an alaskan island WITH A POPULATION OF FIFTY, 50, PEOPLE. OH FUCK, SPENDING MONEY MUST MEAN SOME REALLY SERIOUS SHIT!!!!

edit: p.s. the natural course for any virus is to mutate into airborne transmission. this is essentially the internal "goal" of all virii. but hey lucky for us we adapt just like they do. take a fucking class

u r so smrt

Feigned

Quote:
Gilead Pharmaceuticals
Roland's been doing some corporate muscling.
indianaimpreza.com

ERL857

bird flu can go from brids-->birds--->humans --X---->humans we cant spread it to eachother

De7|ro|i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERL857
bird flu can go from brids-->birds--->humans --X---->humans we cant spread it to eachother
'

this from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2...ent_3619865.htm

H5N1 bird flu can be transmitted among humans: WHOwww.chinaview.cn 2005-10-15 20:24:53

BANGKOK, Oct. 15 (Xinhuanet) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the H5N1 bird flu strain is mutating into a new subtype which could be transmitted among humans, the Thai News Agency reported Saturday.

WHO Regional Director for the Western Pacific Dr. Shigeru Omi on Friday said in Manila that efforts to contain the pandemic had not been effective. He urged affected countries to share more information on bird flu and supply samples to the international community in order to keep track of what form the virus is mutating into.

Dr. Omi said Southeast Asia alone needs 260 million US dollars to combat bird flu in the short-term. In September, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) set up a 2-million US dollar fund to help member nations contain avian flu and other infectious diseases. He estimated that WHO needs 160 million US dollars immediately to help bird flu-hit nations strengthen their ability to diagnose and monitor the disease, as well as to stockpile anti-viral drugs, namely Tamilflu. Meanwhile, Thai Interior Minister Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana has ordered provincial governors nationwide to pay special attention to a possible outbreak of avian influenza during the upcoming cold season.

snow_bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamcnuggets
That made me waffle hard, for some reason.

same. i loled.

omg! not only is slimer jumping on your furniture but hes gonna slim the dog and then have slimersechs with u!?! -EthanHunt

Wayne8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
I have a question,