General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Netguess

Thinking of starting gaming server hosting

So I'm thinking of building/hosting game servers in my house. Capital is not a problem I'm just inexperienced. I want to provide this service at the cheapest cost to me for maximum profit. Can anyone with experience with this give me a rundown of what I might need including resources and estimated prices?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

LAZERGUNPEWPEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netguess View Post
So I'm thinking of building/hosting game servers in my house. Capital is not a problem I'm just inexperienced. I want to provide this service at the cheapest cost to me for maximum profit. Can anyone with experience with this give me a rundown of what I might need including resources and estimated prices?

Look up OC-## backbone connections (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Carrier) I imagine your standard home service won't have the bandwidth for large scale hosting. Next find suitable server hardware and purchase the software to run game servers (HLDS for half life games and what not, each game likely has its own software). No idea what you'll need for Hardware, I imagine it won't be cheap however.

ChangoBat

Getting a low latency internet connection at home isn't cheap. . . You'd have to get the top speed business cable internets because you are hosting and even then I'm not sure the uplink will be good enough. Maybe business FIOS?

Honestly I'm thinking you'd be better off running the servers from a managed host. Or procuring some servers and a hitting up a local datacenter for hosting.

dk again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoBat View Post
Getting a low latency internet connection at home isn't cheap. . . You'd have to get the top speed business cable internets because you are hosting and even then I'm not sure the uplink will be good enough. Maybe business FIOS?

Honestly I'm thinking you'd be better off running the servers from a managed host. Or procuring some servers and a hitting up a local datacenter for hosting.

What this gentleman has said, your ISP don't and probably wouldn't provide you with the bandwidth necessary, Unless you had a corporate account and that would be a good chunk of change each month, and the kids playing on your servers would probably not donate even if they could..

Netguess

I have $20,000 of capital. So it would be better to just purchase servers being hosted elsewhere?

LoPeZ

Send me 20,000 and Ill hook you up

Xarathatin
good bye, halcyon days

20k would pay for 15 days of OC3 connection.

Get 5 servers built from dell drop 3x more ram in them, and host through a datacenter. If you create your own VM's for every server and cluster 4 servers together you should be able to get a decent customer base before you have to expand.

5th server would be considered "master" and would hold all the VM's as backups and provide connectivity to the cluster of 4.

wilse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netguess View Post
I have $20,000 of capital. So it would be better to just purchase servers being hosted elsewhere?

no offense, but if you actually thought you'd be able to run a hosting company out of your home, there is no way you'd be able to implement something like that without help

$20k ain't that much startup capital for a business either

Packhead

There's a reason I'm putting GenMay's Game Server into a datacenter: low latency isn't available (reasonably) at home. Because of what it's hosting I don't need 99.999% uptime SLA, but I do require low latency with excellent peering... Good luck getting Level 3 and others to come peer at your house.

If you're seriously interested in it I'd look at either buying dells or whiteboxing (like I'm doing) and hosting it in a datacenter. You can get reasonable prices for large quantities of bandwidth in a secured (cough) datacenter..

Don't forget licensing costs if you're going to run Windows, server licenses aren't cheap...

Meanee
I AM a cell phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packhead View Post
There's a reason I'm putting GenMay's Game Server into a datacenter: low latency isn't available (reasonably) at home. Because of what it's hosting I don't need 99.999% uptime SLA, but I do require low latency with excellent peering... Good luck getting Level 3 and others to come peer at your house.

If you're seriously interested in it I'd look at either buying dells or whiteboxing (like I'm doing) and hosting it in a datacenter. You can get reasonable prices for large quantities of bandwidth in a secured (cough) datacenter..

Don't forget licensing costs if you're going to run Windows, server licenses aren't cheap...

Licensing should not be that much of a problem. With Windows licensing, most expensive part is CALs. With Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, there's no need for CALs, since you are not using any network clients, and tcp connections don't need CALs

I am pretty sure if you want to be REAL ghetto about the entire thing, you can get away with using WinXP for hosting it.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=798610
This thread is Code:[M]ayhem approved
0bd10e9ba3ffa6c872d28d8a45122f04

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something that’s common knowledge. Then I make

I'm just curious, how do you make money off of game servers?

Who pays you, how does the pay scale work? Just curious.

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

Packhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike View Post
I'm just curious, how do you make money off of game servers?

Who pays you, how does the pay scale work? Just curious.

Often times it's reserved slots, rentals to clans, etc.

My model is just to cover the costs of operating the GenMay server. I'll probably end up coughing up more than 3/4ths the build price of the server. If I can get donations just to pay the colo bill I'm happy.

Most GSP's, though, rent servers out, make big communites, accept donations, etc.

LAZERGUNPEWPEW

If you do want to make money at this, considering hosting Ventrilo / Teamspeak servers for clans as well. I imagine it would require less bandwidth and be more lightweight for your servers.

No sure what the pay is like though.

Xarathatin
good bye, halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERGUNPEWPEW View Post
If you do want to make money at this, considering hosting Ventrilo / Teamspeak servers for clans as well. I imagine it would require less bandwidth and be more lightweight for your servers.

No sure what the pay is like though.

Vent/TS servers are cheap, both in system resources, and cost.

Saxman924

I think you could run it from your house if you had fios. Other than that, I think you need datacenter access unless cable in your area is really good.