General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek
 
Junkie Mod's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Alcohol is irrelevant to this debate, as far as I can tell.
How is alcohol irrelevant? Most people who propose legalization want it treated like alcohol, and alcohol is a substance that is far worse for your body.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 PM Junkie Mod is offline  
Reply With Quote
#331  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
And getting back to the main point, I don't want marijuana legalized because it's nearly sole use (as a drug) is to produce effects in people that I don't like. Alcohol is irrelevant to this debate, as far as I can tell.
I can't see how it could possibly be irrelivant. I have already shown that alcohol is used for exactly the same reason as marijuana, by more people than use marijuana, with more negative consequenses for those who use as well as those who do not. If we are classifying drugs based upon the unnacceptable danger they supposedly present to society and marijuana presents an unacceptable risk then how can you possibly believe alcohol should be legal?

It's a simple comparison between two drugs, one considered acceptable for human consumption and the other not. Both are used for exactly the same reason, one seems to cause more problems because of it's action on human physiology and what people do under its influence. Strangely that is the one that is legal.

Why is education enough for the alcohol and after that people just might make poor choices and there's not much you can do about that but when it comes to marijuana, if you get caught with it you get to be arrested, just for possessing it? Not even if you were abusing it and/or committed a crime under the influence. And if you dare to grow it or have what someone else considers more than you need then you must have been dealing it and you get to go to pound me in the ass prison. Why? And please, don't say because it's illegal. No fucking shit. This is a debate about whether or not it should be illegal, not whether or not it is.

Is that somehow fair in your mind because only a minority of people smoke marijuana? I don't understand the obvious double standard. Sure, it's illegal to drink alcohol underage too but they are not prosecuted anywhere near the same. Would you rather be a 16 year old who gets caught drunk and selling cups at a keg party or a 17/18 year old who got caught just possesing more than one ouce of weed wwhile driving past a school? One person will be prosecuted as a drug dealer and possibly sentenced to hard time under harsh mandatory minimum sentencing and one person will probably just get a minor in possesion ticket, a small fine and a ride home to their parents house, maybe some drug counseling. Guess which is which. Now explain why that makes any sense whatsoever.

I don't understand why it should be perfectly acceptable for my parents to have a basement full of more alcohol than they can consume in a lifetime, and no one would even think of arresting them for it, but if I were to grow a plant in that same space, for my own consumption and no one elses, then I could lose my house, job, children and go to prison for a decade. That somehow makes perfect sense to you? Because you don't think people should want to alter their consciousness?

Well guess what, they do. And they have since the dawn of time. Ever seen a child spin around in circles until they are so dizzy they fall down? Ever wonder why they do it? It's the same reason people jump out of perfectly good airplanes with only a piece of cordage and some silk to save them. The same reason people climb mountains and jump off of bridges with a rubber band tied to their legs. The same reason people fall in love, seek out sex or companionship. For the same reason that people work out or compete or whatever... It's the same reason people are motivated to do or achieve pretty much anything in life. Because they like the way it makes them feel. Arbitrarily making intoxicants illegal does not change this, it just unfairly punishes some people for supposedly choosing the wrong intoxicant.

If alcohol should be legal then so should marijuana. It's really very simple. There is no reason for the drinker to be considered an acceptable member of society and the pot smoker to be considered an outlaw. If for some reason you don't like the idea that I would like to indulge in something that you would not then you should remember that there may be things that you might like that I do not. If thinking about what I might be doing in private really bothers you so much then you probably need a new hobby anyway. As long as we do not actually interfere with any unwilling/underage participants then there is no reason why either of us should not be allowed to enjoy what we like in the privacy of our own homes no matter what we may think of each other's past times. That is the beauty of freedom. We should all be able to enjoy it.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 01-18-2006, 11:38 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#332  

Ray Charles
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
I can't see how it could possibly be irrelivant. I have already shown that alcohol is used for exactly the same reason as marijuana, by more people than use marijuana, with more negative consequenses for those who use as well as those who do not. If we are classifying drugs based upon the unnacceptable danger they supposedly present to society and marijuana presents an unacceptable risk then how can you possibly believe alcohol should be legal?

It's a simple comparison between two drugs, one considered acceptable for human consumption and the other not. Both are used for exactly the same reason, one seems to cause more problems because of it's action on human physiology and what people do under its influence. Strangely that is the one that is legal.

Why is education enough for the alcohol and after that people just might make poor choices and there's not much you can do about that but when it comes to marijuana, if you get caught with it you get to be arrested, just for possessing it? Not even if you were abusing it and/or committed a crime under the influence. And if you dare to grow it or have what someone else considers more than you need then you must have been dealing it and you get to go to pound me in the ass prison. Why? And please, don't say because it's illegal. No fucking shit. This is a debate about whether or not it should be illegal, not whether or not it is.

Alcohol can be used for the same reason as marijuana. On the other hand, I've shown that most people do not use it that way. Alcohol has no significant effect if used in moderation.

And I only say "it was illegal" because you're complaining about the poor people who break laws getting what they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
Is that somehow fair in your mind because only a minority of people smoke marijuana? I don't understand the obvious double standard. Sure, it's illegal to drink alcohol underage too but they are not prosecuted anywhere near the same. Would you rather be a 16 year old who gets caught drunk and selling cups at a keg party or a 17/18 year old who got caught just possesing more than one ouce of weed wwhile driving past a school? One person will be prosecuted as a drug dealer and possibly sentenced to hard time under harsh mandatory minimum sentencing and one person will probably just get a minor in possesion ticket, a small fine and a ride home to their parents house, maybe some drug counseling. Guess which is which. Now explain why that makes any sense whatsoever.

I don't understand why it should be perfectly acceptable for my parents to have a basement full of more alcohol than they can consume in a lifetime, and no one would even think of arresting them for it, but if I were to grow a plant in that same space, for my own consumption and no one elses, then I could lose my house, job, children and go to prison for a decade. That somehow makes perfect sense to you? Because you don't think people should want to alter their consciousness?

Well guess what, they do. And they have since the dawn of time. Ever seen a child spin around in circles until they are so dizzy they fall down? Ever wonder why they do it? It's the same reason people jump out of perfectly good airplanes with only a piece of cordage and some silk to save them. The same reason people climb mountains and jump off of bridges with a rubber band tied to their legs. The same reason people fall in love, seek out sex or companionship. For the same reason that people work out or compete or whatever... It's the same reason people are motivated to do or achieve pretty much anything in life. Because they like the way it makes them feel. Arbitrarily making intoxicants illegal does not change this, it just unfairly punishes some people for supposedly choosing the wrong intoxicant.

If alcohol should be legal then so should marijuana. It's really very simple. There is no reason for the drinker to be considered an acceptable member of society and the pot smoker to be considered an outlaw. If for some reason you don't like the idea that I would like to indulge in something that you would not then you should remember that there may be things that you might like that I do not. If thinking about what I might be doing in private really bothers you so much then you probably need a new hobby anyway. As long as we do not actually interfere with any unwilling/underage participants then there is no reason why either of us should not be allowed to enjoy what we like in the privacy of our own homes no matter what we may think of each other's past times. That is the beauty of freedom. We should all be able to enjoy it.

Wah. I've already told you why I don't like marijuana, and why I believe alcohol is different. Debate that or don't wast my time with little rants.

Edit: I should say that because I believe something is tolerable, it doesn't mean I approve of it. I can tolerate the minority of alcoholics in the population because most people can handle alcohol without ill effects. I'm not going to agree with the legalization of something that is only used to produce the ill effects of another drug we have in our society.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club

Last edited by Ray Charles; 01-19-2006 at 08:47 AM..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 AM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#333  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Alcohol can be used for the same reason as marijuana. On the other hand, I've shown that most people do not use it that way. Alcohol has no significant effect if used in moderation.
It doesn't matter. It is still an intoxicant. There is no reason marijuana cannot be used just as responsibly as alcohol. The number of people who abuse or become addicted to marijuana is a smaller percentage of the total marijuana using population than the number of people who abuse or become addicted to alcohol out of all alcohol users.


Quote:
And I only say "it was illegal" because you're complaining about the poor people who break laws getting what they deserve.
THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT. The whole point is they don't deserve to be punished as harshly as they are for what they do to themselves. Speeding is illegal as well but they don't take your car through forfeiture before you've even see a judge to plead your case for the speeding ticket. You aren't sentenced to harsh mandatory minimum sentences in prison for speeding either even though speeding inherently puts your fellow citizens in more danger than the consumption of illicit drugs in private. "Well, it's illegal" is a rationalization for unjust treatment of our own citizens and ignores entirely the severity with which people are punished for victimless crimes. The average sentence for a first time, non-violent drug offender is longer than the average sentence for rape, child molestation, bank robbery or manslaughter. The punishment for marijuana is more damaging to the user than marijuana itself. That doesn't make any sense. Should a drug user be considered a bigger threat to society than predatory criminals like rapists and child molesters?
http://www.drugpolicy.org/library/fa...et_library.cfm

Quote:
Wah. I've already told you why I don't like marijuana, and why I believe alcohol is different. Debate that or don't wast my time with little rants.
I've already shown you why you are wrong. I can say I smoke marijuana for the flavor as well but it would be just as much of a lie as the same claim for alcohol. You might choose a type of alcohol based on what flavor suits you but you are choosing to consume alcohol for a reason and it aint flavor. Alcohol is a more dangerous drug both to the user and the people around the user. This is a proven fact and there are decades worth of statistics to back this up. There is no logical reason for your ridiculous assertion that because marijuana causes intoxication that it is more dangerous than alcohol. Alcohol is an intoxicant, it causes intoxication and despite the fact that not everyone uses it to excess it remains more toxic, more addictive and more potentially dangerous than marijuana regardless of your personal opinion on the matter.
http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/...ajor-drugs.htm
http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/...ox-arrests.htm

I don't even have to rest the argument on alcohol. I just use it because it is more akin to marijunana in intoxication. There is another legal drug out there that causes more death than alcohol and it's only purpose is intoxication yet it remains legal. Tobacco. Tobacco causes more harm to society than marijuana but is not considered an evil plant. It is also more toxic and more addictive than marijuana. Again, a more dangerous drug is legal. There isn't even room to argue what the purpose of consumption is with tobacco.

Quote:
I should say that because I believe something is tolerable, it doesn't mean I approve of it. I can tolerate the minority of alcoholics in the population because most people can handle alcohol without ill effects.
Most people can handle marijuna without ill effects as well, moreso than alcohol according to statistics. That's why it should be tollerable as well. And what ill effects does marijuana cause? Intoxication? Slight loss in performance if you overindulge on a daily basis? What does marijuana do to users that alcohol does not and to a greater degree?

Quote:
I'm not going to agree with the legalization of something that is only used to produce the ill effects of another drug we have in our society.
What ill effects? Alcohol produces more ill effects with lower dose levels needed to arrive at negative consequences. If your argument is based on ill effects then you have already lost. It is a proven fact that alcohol is more damaging to the human body than marijuana. If you are comparing the ills caused by the infrequent moderated use of either then there is nothing to compare. The infrequent moderated use of marijuana is no more damaging or dangerous than the moderated infrequent use of alcohol. Increase the dosage and alcohol quickly takes the lead however. I'm not saying it's good for you to abuse weed but if you compare the negative health effects of frequent, heavy marijuana use or abuse to frequent, heavy alcohol use or abuse then there is no question which is more deleterious.

I'd rather have mostly reversable performance loss comparable with aging, a loss of short term memory which may be reverseable and a persistent cough wich should go away with cessation of smoking as well after years of abusing weed versus permanent brain damage, permanent short term memory loss, atrophy of areas of the brain that may be irreversable, irreversable brain shrinkage, irreversable heart disease, irreversable schirosis of the liver and damage to various other organs after years of abusing alcohol. And that's if you manage not to kill yourself by overdose or any number of possible drug interactions with alcohol which wouldn't even be possible with marijuana.

Also, if it is already legal to cause these ills to yourself with one drug then what is the rationalization that one drug is worse than another if the ills are equal? Why is alchoholism tollerable but the smoking of weed is not? Isn't that just legislating personal preference? Either it should be legal to intoxicate yourself or it should not. Arbitrarily making intoxicants illicit does no good. If you can tollerate someone killing themselves with alcohol in private then you should have no problem tollerating me living with marijuana in private.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 01-19-2006 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#334  

Ray Charles
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
It doesn't matter. It is still an intoxicant. There is no reason marijuana cannot be used just as responsibly as alcohol. The number of people who abuse or become addicted to marijuana is a smaller percentage of the total marijuana using population than the number of people who abuse or become addicted to alcohol out of all alcohol users.

I'm not arguing that alcohol is less addictive. I'm arguing that the majority of people don't see it only as means to get drunk, and therefore most people don't use it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT. The whole point is they don't deserve to be punished as harshly as they are for what they do to themselves. Speeding is illegal as well but they don't take your car through forfeiture before you've even see a judge to plead your case for the speeding ticket. You aren't sentenced to harsh mandatory minimum sentences in prison for speeding either even though speeding inherently puts your fellow citizens in more danger than the consumption of illicit drugs in private. "Well, it's illegal" is a rationalization for unjust treatment of our own citizens and ignores entirely the severity with which people are punished for victimless crimes. The average sentence for a first time, non-violent drug offender is longer than the average sentence for rape, child molestation, bank robbery or manslaughter. The punishment for marijuana is more damaging to the user than marijuana itself. That doesn't make any sense. Should a drug user be considered a bigger threat to society than predatory criminals like rapists and child molesters?
http://www.drugpolicy.org/library/fa...et_library.cfm

Regardless of wether you feel the punishment for marijuana-related crimes is too strict, these people know that marijuana is illegal and they knew (or should have known) the punishment that was waiting for them if they got caught. That's why I say they deserve it. I won't stop you from protesting a law you feel is unjust by not following it, but I won't be surprised when you get arrested either.

[quote]I've already shown you why you are wrong. I can say I smoke marijuana for the flavor as well but it would be just as much of a lie as the same claim for alcohol. You might choose a type of alcohol based on what flavor suits you but you are choosing to consume alcohol for a reason and it aint flavor. Alcohol is a more dangerous drug both to the user and the people around the user. This is a proven fact and there are decades worth of statistics to back this up. There is no logical reason for your ridiculous assertion that because marijuana causes intoxication that it is more dangerous than alcohol. Alcohol is an intoxicant, it causes intoxication and despite the fact that not everyone uses it to excess it remains more toxic, more addictive and more potentially dangerous than marijuana regardless of your personal opinion on the matter.
http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/...ajor-drugs.htm
http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/...ox-arrests.htm

I don't even have to rest the argument on alcohol. I just use it because it is more akin to marijunana in intoxication. There is another legal drug out there that causes more death than alcohol and it's only purpose is intoxication yet it remains legal. Tobacco. Tobacco causes more harm to society than marijuana but is not considered an evil plant. It is also more toxic and more addictive than marijuana. Again, a more dangerous drug is legal. There isn't even room to argue what the purpose of consumption is with tobacco.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
Most people can handle marijuna without ill effects as well, moreso than alcohol according to statistics. That's why it should be tollerable as well. And what ill effects does marijuana cause? Intoxication? Slight loss in performance if you overindulge on a daily basis? What does marijuana do to users that alcohol does not and to a greater degree?


What ill effects? Alcohol produces more ill effects with lower dose levels needed to arrive at negative consequences. If your argument is based on ill effects then you have already lost. It is a proven fact that alcohol is more damaging to the human body than marijuana. If you are comparing the ills caused by the infrequent moderated use of either then there is nothing to compare. The infrequent moderated use of marijuana is no more damaging or dangerous than the moderated infrequent use of alcohol. Increase the dosage and alcohol quickly takes the lead however. I'm not saying it's good for you to abuse weed but if you compare the negative health effects of frequent, heavy marijuana use or abuse to frequent, heavy alcohol use or abuse then there is no question which is more deleterious.

I'd rather have mostly reversable performance loss comparable with aging, a loss of short term memory which may be reverseable and a persistent cough wich should go away with cessation of smoking as well after years of abusing weed versus permanent brain damage, permanent short term memory loss, atrophy of areas of the brain that may be irreversable, irreversable brain shrinkage, irreversable heart disease, irreversable schirosis of the liver and damage to various other organs after years of abusing alcohol. And that's if you manage not to kill yourself by overdose or any number of possible drug interactions with alcohol which wouldn't even be possible with marijuana.

Also, if it is already legal to cause these ills to yourself with one drug then what is the rationalization that one drug is worse than another if the ills are equal? Why is alchoholism tollerable but the smoking of weed is not? Isn't that just legislating personal preference? Either it should be legal to intoxicate yourself or it should not. Arbitrarily making intoxicants illicit does no good. If you can tollerate someone killing themselves with alcohol in private then you should have no problem tollerating me living with marijuana in private.

My point isn't that alcohol is better than marijuana in any way. I agree that it can be potentially more destructive than marijuana. My point is that marijuana is used almost exclusively to get high, while alcohol isn't. It's not a matter of what the drug is capable of, it's a matter of the public's perception of the drug.

Alcohol = a drink that most people are inclined to use responsibly
Marijuana = getting high

Let me say this again: I don't want marijuana to be legalized because it would be used (almost) exclusively to do something that I don't believe people should be doing.

That is the extent of my position. I don't want to argue about alcohol, or the poor kiddies that got busted with pot. Unless you're debating something in the above sentence I really don't care that much.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club
Old 01-20-2006, 01:36 AM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#335  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Alcohol = a drink that most people are inclined to use responsibly
Marijuana = getting high

Let me say this again: I don't want marijuana to be legalized because it would be used (almost) exclusively to do something that I don't believe people should be doing.
Getting high is not inherently irresponsible or destructive, why should you care what someone does in private or think you have dominion over another's home or private life where it causes you no harm? The vast majority of marijuana smokers use marijuana responsibly as well. Just because you don't think people should be doing something doesn't mean we need to have that enforced with the criminal justice system. Someone growing weed in their garden and consuming it responsibly in their home causes you no more harm than someone growing tomatoes in their garden and consuming them in their home. The point with comparing weed to alcohol and other potentially dangerous pastimes is to point out that we already accept equally or more dangerous alternatives which allow people to do the exact same thing as marijuana, alter their consciousness. Arbitrarily deciding that one of these alternatives should be criminal for no good reason makes criminals out of ordinary people for no good reason.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 01-21-2006 at 05:15 AM..
Old 01-21-2006, 05:01 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#336  

lawlzkekeke
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Alcohol = a drink that most people are inclined to use responsibly
Marijuana = getting high


You're not serious, are you?

It should probably be noted that the city of Denver, Colorado disagrees with you.
__________________
abf1f166d804cd4795f910ec03abb1ae
Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 PM lawlzkekeke is offline  
Reply With Quote
#337  

rijaxo
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Alcohol = a drink that most people are inclined to use responsibly
Marijuana = getting high

Most people do using marijuana responsibly. Your seem to be under the impression that because marijuana is illegal that it cant be used responsibly. You are constantly refering to the fact that people use alcohol "responsibly" and you seem to be ignoring the idea that they drink for the effects. Yes people smoke to get high, but you know what? People drink to feel the effects of alcohol. How you can be so blind to this is beyond me. Your pretty damn sure that there is nothing wrong with people going out drinking, so what is wrong with someone going out and having a smoke with thier friends, or after work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Let me say this again: I don't want marijuana to be legalized because it would be used (almost) exclusively to do something that I don't believe people should be doing.

So just becuase you dont believe someone should be doing something means they shouldnt be able to? So if I were to believe that people shouldnt be able to go eat french fries, that they shouldnt be able to? Your simply saying that people can alter thier mind with alcohol but if they go and do it with marijuana that its wrong? You've got to be kidding me.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:17 PM rijaxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#338  

Fredward
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
I'm not arguing that alcohol is less addictive. I'm arguing that the majority of people don't see it only as means to get drunk, and therefore most people don't use it that way.


You're a stupid fuck. What the hell else do you think people use alcohol for quenching their thirst, that's the dumbest shit I've heard in my life.

MARIJUANA FTW!!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 PM Fredward is offline  
Reply With Quote
#339  

CRasch
A Righteous Infliction of Retribution
 
CRasch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Regardless of wether you feel the punishment for marijuana-related crimes is too strict, these people know that marijuana is illegal and they knew (or should have known) the punishment that was waiting for them if they got caught. That's why I say they deserve it. I won't stop you from protesting a law you feel is unjust by not following it, but I won't be surprised when you get arrested either.

You say we should follow a law even if its wrong? Where's your freakin morality? Do you even understand or the concept of with rights come responsibilities? If a law told you to shoot every women and children in your vicinity, would you follow it because it's the law? Do even like to think for yourself or do you prefer to have the government decided everything for you?
__________________
http://www.crasch.net/
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
Old 01-22-2006, 02:34 AM CRasch is offline  
Reply With Quote
#340  

Ray Charles
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRasch
You say we should follow a law even if its wrong? Where's your freakin morality? Do you even understand or the concept of with rights come responsibilities? If a law told you to shoot every women and children in your vicinity, would you follow it because it's the law? Do even like to think for yourself or do you prefer to have the government decided everything for you?

Where did I say something close to what you're suggesting?

If people could get out of prosecution for breaking the law simply by saying that they disagree with the law our laws would hold no weight at all. People who break laws should be punished because otherwise our society would have no order.

On the other hand, I do believe that if you are in moral opposition to a law then it's your moral obligation to disobey it. This assumes that it's important enough for you to accept the possible punishment of the law. For example, civil-rights activists in the 1960's thought that the possibility of being jailed for civil disobedience was an acceptable sacrifice to make in order to satisfy their conscience.

If you disagree with marijuana prohibition strongly enough then you probably should break the law. You should also be aware that you may have to make sacrifices in the future because of your actions now. It's a question of relative value; is a year of your life spent in prison worth what you're fighting for?

Our laws need to be enforced to preserve the integrity of our society. Some of those laws should be broken to preserve our individuality and free will. The question is which ones are bad enough that breaking them is worth the consequences? Perhaps it's a difficult thought i'm trying to get across or perhaps I'm not doing a great job explaining my views. Nevertheless, it's not a decision to be taken lightly.

In regard to the section you quoted, I don't feel sorry for people who break laws (especially well-known ones) through ignorance. It's every citizen's responsibility to know what the laws are. I also don't feel sorry for people who break the law intentionally. As an act of civil disobedience they should be aware of the consequences of their actions.



In regards to everyone else since I posted last, you're bringing up points that I've addressed already. Do the reading yourself.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club
Old 01-22-2006, 07:07 PM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#341  

Ray Charles
 
...But rijaxo has brought up a couple things that I might want to clarify.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rijaxo
Most people do using marijuana responsibly. Your seem to be under the impression that because marijuana is illegal that it cant be used responsibly. You are constantly refering to the fact that people use alcohol "responsibly" and you seem to be ignoring the idea that they drink for the effects. Yes people smoke to get high, but you know what? People drink to feel the effects of alcohol. How you can be so blind to this is beyond me. Your pretty damn sure that there is nothing wrong with people going out drinking, so what is wrong with someone going out and having a smoke with thier friends, or after work?

When I say "drinking responsibly" I mean that they aren't drinkning just for the effects. I posed CDC statistics above that say 2/3 of adult drinkers do not binge drink, and somewhere around 95% of adult drinkers are not heavy drinkers.

I'm all right with alcohol because most people don't just use it for the effects. My problem with marijuana is that it's universally seen only as a way to get high. My problem is with getting high, not the substance itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijaxo
So just becuase you dont believe someone should be doing something means they shouldnt be able to? So if I were to believe that people shouldnt be able to go eat french fries, that they shouldnt be able to? Your simply saying that people can alter thier mind with alcohol but if they go and do it with marijuana that its wrong? You've got to be kidding me.

Essentially, that is what I'm saying. I have the right in America to try and legislate anything I want. If french fries bother you that much there's nothing stopping you from trying to get them banned. The fact that people can use alcohol to get drunk is unavoidable, but I've never been one to restrict the majority based upon what a minority of people do.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#342  

Fredward
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
I'm all right with alcohol because most people don't just use it for the effects. My problem with marijuana is that it's universally seen only as a way to get high. My problem is with getting high, not the substance itself.

Once again I bring up the point, what else do they use it for?! Just list one thing for me, it'd be interesting to see, and quenching your thirst is not a valid answer.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM Fredward is offline  
Reply With Quote
#343  

Ray Charles
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward
Once again I bring up the point, what else do they use it for?! Just list one thing for me, it'd be interesting to see, and quenching your thirst is not a valid answer.

Why not? It works well enough for that. People mostly drink in social situations simply because it's there. Someone who has one or two drinks socially isn't significantly intoxicated. And like I said earlier, prohibiting something because it's possible to use it in a harmful manner doesn't make sense as long as that's not its only use.

I will add that I believe the majority of Genmay is probably biased on this point because most of genmay is young. Coincidentally, they and their friends are the most likely group to abuse alcohol. I'm not saying that there's no way I hold a skewed view but the statistics seem to agree with me.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club
Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#344  

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek
 
Junkie Mod's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles
Why not? It works well enough for that. People mostly drink in social situations simply because it's there. Someone who has one or two drinks socially isn't significantly intoxicated. And like I said earlier, prohibiting something because it's possible to use it in a harmful manner doesn't make sense as long as that's not its only use.

I will add that I believe the majority of Genmay is probably biased on this point because most of genmay is young. Coincidentally, they and their friends are the most likely group to abuse alcohol. I'm not saying that there's no way I hold a skewed view but the statistics seem to agree with me.
you shouldn't drink alcohol to quench your thirst because it dehydrates you
Old 01-22-2006, 08:18 PM Junkie Mod is offline  
Reply With Quote
#345  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.