General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

"replace the engine" What's wrong with that engine? It's a tiny little car, doesn't need a lot to get started and then the boost comes in, right...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Well, I've always been a fan of a nice BOV, they don't help you make more power, but they are important for longevity of components. I went and checked out what you are talking about beforehand to see why a block off place even exists, and to me it seems that they are trying to be different from the rest of the gas powered turbo world by "inventing" a "new" way of doing things. I do not think that it's the right way to go about it just so you don't lose a little power between shifts. It's also bad for the turbocharger. If the car really is so damn slow off-boost, you should consider upgrading the engine itself if you want to make it faster. Cams, compression, bigger valves, better head, ect. The turbo system should not be the ice cream in your sundae, the engine should be, with the boost being the cherry on top.

That's why I'm calling it ghetto.

Didn't you say earlier that you bypass valve leaks under boost? Is that the real reason you are doing this?

When I had it venting to atmosphere I could hear "whooshing" as it built up into boost. I would know a lot more if I had my new boost gauge installed, that'll be soon hopefully.

I then recirculated the BPV, despite the fact that Gen 3 JDM motors don't need it and that muffled the leak or whatever it is. Now i've just got the line leading from my intake to my BPV pinched off with a zip tie and its acting as an unnecessarily complex blockoff plate.

There are guys swapping on BOV flange-less charge pipes, there are guys doing what I did, and there are guys buying these blockoff plates. It really does make the car perform better. There have been reports of people having stuff explode after doing this mod, but there are always a LOT of other contributing factors and potential causes for the failures.

I understand the logic of just playing it safe and running my vac system the way Mother Toyota intended but I haven't committed to anything yet and a blockoff plate is ALWAYS reversible. People much more knowledgeable and experienced than me (or you) are saying its best just to lop it off, and given that the benefit is so pronounced I'm leaning that way.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
"replace the engine" What's wrong with that engine? It's a tiny little car, doesn't need a lot to get started and then the boost comes in, right...

I didn't say replace, I said upgrade. Instead of making more power through more boost, make more power through more motor.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

that's significantly more expensive and the gain per dollar would be minimal compared to a turbo swap, upgraded fuel system, standalone and tuning.

Plus it would pretty much have to be done all in one shot. Not saying that it isn't worth doing, and it certainly is wise to lay a good foundation for big boost but its not needed with my budget/goals. The car needs a loooooooooooooooooooot of cosmetic and minor->mid-range mechanical issues corrected first.

For example I need a new steering wheel now because my fat ass used the tiny little sparco like a handicap bar trying to get into the car early on in my ownership.. that needs replacing =X

Will probably eliminate the quick release hub and get something OEM.

gribly

Well, if your bypass valve is leaking, isn't there any CARB compliant ways to fix it with a proper BOV? I'm fairly convinced your extra performance from the zip tie is coming from stopping up the boost leak...

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Well, if your bypass valve is leaking, isn't there any CARB compliant ways to fix it with a proper BOV? I'm fairly convinced your extra performance from the zip tie is coming from stopping up the boost leak...

I don't think CARB gives a crap about that, and the car ain't passing visual anyway.

Unless you have a car that requires recirculation in order to not run pig rich (like most cars, not mine) they're probably legal. but some cops are knowledgeable enough to know what the noises signify. At the very least its an unwanted attention draw.

RazorWind

Quote:

This.

Trust me, if you just bite the bullet and fix the compressor bypass, you'll be impressed at how much nicer the car is to drive.

You want us to stop giving you shit for ghetto rigging everything? For once, just fucking once, don't take the easiest, cheapest possible route to fix the car you're apparently proud enough of to post about on the internet.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
This.

Trust me, if you just bite the bullet and fix the compressor bypass, you'll be impressed at how much nicer the car is to drive.

You want us to stop giving you shit for ghetto rigging everything? For once, just fucking once, don't take the easiest, cheapest possible route to fix the car you're apparently proud enough of to post about on the internet.

this isn't a cheap fix... its an improvement... and if you'd actually do research like I did you'd understand that.

Believe me, when I originally learned that this was an option I was dumbfounded and worried I was being trolled. If you have an MR2OC account you should check out the multiple multiple threads on this exact topic...

gribly

I did go and look it up, and firmly believe it's a load of horseshit. These people think that because it doesn't do any immediate harm, that it's okay. The whole system simply isn't gonna work properly when it's set up like that. If it really was an improvement, then all these companies and manufacturers would not be using blow off and bypass valves. It's simply bad for the turbo, and even advocates of this modification do agree that it's bad for the turbo, especially if you upgrade to a ceramic ball bearing turbo. I already addressed this, and you act like I didn't even look it up at all. If leaky bypass valves were not a common problem on MR2s, this would not even be a thing. Just fix it right.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

and I already posted why toyota put it there

to eliminate what could be considered an undesirable noise to the average car buyer

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
this isn't a cheap fix... its an improvement... and if you'd actually do research like I did you'd understand that.

Believe me, when I originally learned that this was an option I was dumbfounded and worried I was being trolled. If you have an MR2OC account you should check out the multiple multiple threads on this exact topic...

I've been a member at MR2OC since long before it was MR2OC. Like 12 years, or something. At one time, there were some really smart people there. These days, there are a lot fewer of them. Notably, David Vespremi, one of the head guys at Tesla, used to post there.

A team of licensed professional engineers at Toyota (and/or Yamaha) decided that the compressor bypass is a necessary component. The real reason these are usually required is that a compressor surge imposes a very large thrust load on the turbocharger's bearings, which are ill equipped to handle such a load. The turbo can be made to handle this, and in fact probably is, but nevertheless, it's better to avoid this than risk a ton of warranty claims for failed turbos. On MR2OC, the best you get is anecdotal evidence, where several users claim "ahh, it's fine, I've been driving around like this for months." All that tells you is that an uneducated person did not notice any ill effect . It notably does not indicate that there actually arent't any ill effects, and I would argue that the fact that you can hear the turbocharger wheel colliding with the housing IS indicative of an ill effect, difficult though it may be to quantify.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

can't currently afford a new motor so zip tie removed, bpv re enabled.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

After seeing the last few "blow ups" on the MR2OC facebook group shatter into "your a fag," "no u" I think I should take what I read there with a few extra grains of salt.

gribly

It's not going to hurt the engine itself, homes. Just the turbo. Engine doesn't care.

I thought you like, made more money than the rest of us or some shit? But, I do agree, I wouldn't want to hurt that motor either, if it was mine. All I have is a lowly k20a3 block that breathes healthy.

Did have a guy say "dood, give 'er some!" when I fired it up leaving school on friday. Car was already warmed up, I had moved it and backed it up against a concrete wall so it was closer to my building to grab my laundry. So I uhh, did a little rev limiter bouncing through 2nd when I pulled onto the street... Hadn't actually tried to do a burnout with my car since it was stock, but I was rather impressed with the amount of smoke and noise. Wheel hop was a little harsh in 1st momentarily until it got over 6k, but after that, and through 2nd, it was smooth sailing. Don't think I'll do that again until I put stronger axles in it from Driveshaft Shop.

I uhhh, never broke the campus speed limit of 15mph....

For those just tuning in, in Mexico, this is what my car sounds like - a Honda. Slower than a Cobb stage 2 WRX but still a beast for a n/a 4 banger. Not my car, but same thing. I have other upgrades, but the same exhaust, and I've actually got a cat for now so it crackles about half as much.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by gribly; 09-21-2013 at 09:51 PM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

idk... bend a compressor vane, compressor wheel is off balance and grenades itself into my motor...

not that it would make it past the IC but it is me after all