General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Problem will be solved on payday. Just have to swap in a proper Gen 3 MR2 ecu which, apparently do not ONLY go for ridiculous 4-figure eBay pricing.

$170 and I'll be up to full power, no limp-mode CEL.

Will that just plug right in to whatever wiring harness you have, though? I thought you were mostly using the Celica wiring harness, with a wire for the A-W intercooler, but nothing connected to it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Will that just plug right in to whatever wiring harness you have, though? I thought you were mostly using the Celica wiring harness, with a wire for the A-W intercooler, but nothing connected to it.

Top 2 are identical

Frankly do not know what harness I have, but going from ST205 (Celica) to Gen 3 SW20 is a direct swap. The SW20 ecu is probably just programmed to disregard any input (or lack of input) from these pins.

The wires ARE indeed present ECU-connector-side, but I did not attempt to trace them back through the loom any further than a few centimeters.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 10-09-2013 at 01:57 PM..

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

I'll be impressed if you ever figure it out.

Back in the day I wanted to swap a 3sgte into my celica, lul. Gave up on fwd fortunately before i started.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post

Back in the day I wanted to swap a 3sgte into my celica, lul. Gave up on fwd fortunately before i started.

The platforms are just too similar to make it easy to distinguish between the two harnesses.

I do know that my diagnostics port is incorrectly mounted to the trunk-side rather than the front firewall/passenger side front of the engine bay. In an AllTrac, this would place the diagnostics port against the firewall for its front-mounted engine. In my MR2 its mounted on the trunk.

Whether that was due to builder incompetence or the wires truly are not long enough is a mystery for the moment.

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post

This made me lawl IRL because as a result of all my cars being RWD,

FWD transmissions/LSD's are still a mystery to me in their assembly and operation

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
All of these problems are/were easily resolv(able/ed)... I assure you I knew I was getting a project car/fixer-upper when I went in. It is now and will always be superior to an EK/EG/EP/whatever the fuck wrong wheel drive econo shitbox you'd have me driving.

I'm not even going to bother to read your wall of negativity, it does nobody any good and you always post the same . You probably even copypasta'ed it from my last thread. And the one before that.

If you're not going to contribute anything positive, you should really just fuck off. Ya it's fun to be an internet bully but it's not healthy or productive at all.

The wiring diagram was supposed to be identical, I was matching the original diagram's slightly confusing crap at the bottom to the ACTUAL representation of the wiring harness I have in my car now, to make it easier to understand when I actually perform the mod.

But given that an ECU is so inexpensive, I'm just going to do it the right way and get myself the correct ECU.

It's not a "wall of negativity," I am giving you an honest opinion on how engine swaps should be performed, and it just so happens that the generally accepted "right" way to swap an engine is the way I am describing to you. Quit fucking labeling me as a Honda guy, just because I own and drive one, I'm not trying to convince you to drive a Honda. You've known me long enough to know I generally stick with Mazda and Ford. I'm trying to give you good advice on how to get your MR2 either correct or how to get your money back out of it. What the fuck do you want me to say? That your car is perfect and has no issues? Seems like you tie your internet self-esteem to your car or something by your reactions to my advice. Nothing is copy-pasted, I thought this was the only current thread on your car anyways.

Remember, I'm the guy that goes up to my close friend with the '67 Mustang powered by a 331 stroker with fuel injection and an intercooled paxton centrifugal supercharger setup pushing 15lbs through the stroker motor, and I point out to him "Hey, there's a dog hair in the paint right here and a run in the paint right there, not bad though!" Some may perceive me as totally negative because I am quick to point out flaws, but that is because said flaws can be corrected and believe it or not, people actually take my advice and end up with some pretty decent cars. Just because I don't react like some immature ricer punk and go "OMG IT'S INCREDIBLE" just because something has a modified boosted motor doesn't mean I'm trying to cut you down at every turn. Maybe if you took the few of us trying to help you a little more seriously and listened to us, you'd have one of those cars on the MR2 boards that the other guys go "Wow, that's cool, that guy must know his shit, he did that right" instead of people reacting like "What? There's disconnected wires hanging everywhere?"

Because of my objectivity and feeling like a car is never "perfect" or "good enough" I was able to keep my 1990 Miata nice enough where the first guy that looked at it when it was for sale just handed over the cash and didn't argue about the $7500 price tag on a car with a $1500 book value. But I don't see you doing things like changing your brake fluid and gear oil every two years and cleaning your gear teeth with a toothbrush, and taking apart the top end of the motor just to have a look and scrub it down. You should though, that level of maintenance makes a world of difference on a car. When I bought my Civic, within days the previous owner was mind blown at how different the car looked and drove.

Somehow you keep perceiving me as personally insulting you, but remember, we used to chat on AIM about stuff even as far back as 10 years ago and I have ALWAYS been objective about everything. I used to give you hell about your eclipse and how you let the mechanic that rebuilt the engine basically walk all over you on top of ruining your interior.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

buying a car that, after purchasing, I drove 300 miles to get home as "not driving" would have been a hard sell.

5 grand was maybe a little on the high end, definitely too high if I were back east or something but it's really not in such dire straits

the non working speedometer, like i said, is simply a symptom of the fact that between 1991 and 1996 Toyota switched over to a digital speed sensor... I need a new gauge cluster and a sensor. Done.

Your method of listing off these minor, and 100% correctable flaws as if they were coffin nails is borderline insane... I don't care enough to look back but have I even posted a single shot of the engine bay? Anything to indicate that I have a rats nest catastrophe ANYWHERE in the car? You make way too many assumptions for your criticisms to be anywhere near constructive ones.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

I will say you've been a good "pal" over the years and maybe I came off a little too snotty/whiney/victimized given what you actually posted...

gribly

Yeah, you did post a shot but it didn't really show much, it was just of the brace you installed.

When you say things like the original engine harness is still there and the dash isn't even completely connected it throws off fucking GIGANTIC red flags man, it's just every time I have ran into that kind of shit it was a wiring nightmare. If I didn't live across the country I'd actually go look at the car and give you a hand dude, but I'm in Maine and that's a little unreasonable. When you've been around the number of swapped cars I have, and seen some of the shit I have, you learn that there is some tall tale signs to RUN because if corners are cut on one place, they have been cut in another. Hell, I'm leery of even a reasonably stock vehicle with an aftermarket radio. None of the shops around here do it right.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

All I really had planned was to eliminate the 2-3 crimps I found on the ECU side and solder+ shrink wrap em properly.

A 3rd gen cluster runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 clams so I'm not really surprised that they didn't do it.

and I will probably have to learn to convert KPH to MPH on the fly

gribly

Put it this way, had I been there when you were negotiating for the car, I would have tried to convince the PO that the engine would have to be completely removed and the car re-wired in order for you to trust it to drive it. I tried to buy one of those first gen MR2's several years back and the guy selling it told me to get the fuck off his property before he went for his gun. Apparently my offer was too insulting and I was pointing out too many flaws in the car. Had cash in hand, too.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

why dont you just save up some money and buy a new car with straight up cash

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
why dont you just save up some money and buy a new car with straight up cash

because I might end up "grounded to the ground"

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Code: [M]ayhem

You paid 5 grand for that jap pile of shit?You really are a fucking moron

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code: [M]ayhem View Post
You paid 5 grand for that jap pile of shit?You really are a fucking moron

and you need a new gimmick

nobody gives a shit what you post... Why even post it? 90% of the time when you post some in bold face people completely ignore you...