General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

teh scud

GameTrailer's Bonus Round - E3 Predictions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh scud

i'll throw something out here --

i think they underestimate microsoft's ability to adapt and their potential to dip into the casual market. they hint that they think sony stands a better chance because of their studios, and while i'd agree that they have better equipped studios for this, sony has other obstacles (especially price). microsoft has shown that they can throw money at any problem (such as buying third party exclusives instead of developing internal exclusives), and while competing with wii will be incredibly hard, i don't think it's safe to rule the possibility out.

they also criticize microsoft for not having a direction for xbox, which is something that sony often comes under fire for, for ps3 and psp. while nintendo's focus on casual experiences has been extremely beneficial, i don't think it's a requirement for success. you could argue it's more challenging, but i think going for multiple demographics is entirely possible. the markets aren't entirely seperate -- some of the casuals who love the wii games were already playing guitar hero on ps2. games like buzz (trivia game for ps2) and singstar were successful in europe (only recently launched in US). i say "some" because soccer moms weren't playing guitar hero even though they love wii games, while some younger casuals played guitar hero and also love wii games (but don't necessarily play core games). i think MS/sony competing for the older casuals will be nearly impossible this gen, but i do think there's a vast number of younger casuals that might bite.

jersoc

ugh, kotaku, seriously?

jesus... I just threw up a little. I wonder if he'll start off every headline with a hyperbole in this video as well. oh hilarious. just like the articles it's all based on rumors

Last edited by jersoc; 06-22-2008 at 11:57 PM..

sir tex

that was really boring.

Xarathatin
good bye, halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
i'll throw something out here --

i think they underestimate microsoft's ability to adapt and their potential to dip into the casual market. they hint that they think sony stands a better chance because of their studios, and while i'd agree that they have better equipped studios for this, sony has other obstacles (especially price). microsoft has shown that they can throw money at any problem (such as buying third party exclusives instead of developing internal exclusives), and while competing with wii will be incredibly hard, i don't think it's safe to rule the possibility out.

they also criticize microsoft for not having a direction for xbox, which is something that sony often comes under fire for, for ps3 and psp. while nintendo's focus on casual experiences has been extremely beneficial, i don't think it's a requirement for success. you could argue it's more challenging, but i think going for multiple demographics is entirely possible. the markets aren't entirely seperate -- some of the casuals who love the wii games were already playing guitar hero on ps2. games like buzz (trivia game for ps2) and singstar were successful in europe (only recently launched in US). i say "some" because soccer moms weren't playing guitar hero even though they love wii games, while some younger casuals played guitar hero and also love wii games (but don't necessarily play core games). i think MS/sony competing for the older casuals will be nearly impossible this gen, but i do think there's a vast number of younger casuals that might bite.

I'll agree largely with everything you said, and add that Microsoft should never be underestimated. If anything they can throw a few billion into a project, just to see what'll happen. They might not have the heritage Sony and Nintendo do, but they most certainly have the technology to make up for it. Microsoft has seen potential with their consoles and I am sure they will stop at very little to see it succeed.

teh scud

apparently a sony rep slipped up and told a french site that GoW3 will be shown at e3 from sony.

Fatdaddy
Liqdfire's Woman <3

Quote:
apparently a sony rep slipped up and told a french site that GoW3 will be shown at e3 from sony.

that'll be the excuse i need to buy a PS3

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddy View Post
that'll be the excuse i need to sell my 360 and buy a PS3

fixt

cokezeroholic

two hour edit - I'm eager to see what Sony and Nintendo's will be like.

Fatdaddy
Liqdfire's Woman <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
fixt

oh, no. you never sell a console. so 10 years later you can dig it out, and all the games. its like pulling out an original nintendo out now. nostalgia++

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddy View Post
oh, no. you never sell a console. so 10 years later you can dig it out, and all the games. its like pulling out an original nintendo out now. nostalgia++
You may be right. I've had my SNES since it was out and I've sold back every console I've purchased since. I've successfully bought slim PS2s to play games once more after I sold my launch unit. Sold my N64, may be the only wise sell-back, and am not missing it thanks to virtual console. Sold the XBox because it was just a waste of space but found myself buying XBox games during the Xbox > 360 transition.

I'll hold onto my 360 until the warranty runs out and/or the unit stops working. As of now it's just a DVD player and will continue to be so until I pick up Ninja Gaiden 2 and GoW2.

teh scud

another rumor: Kratos from GoW3 will be in the ps3 version of soul calibur IV

theNoid

E3 just isn't what it used to be. My predictions as far as round one go (microsoft) is a ton of Banjo, Gears 2, Fable 2, and Too Human. Expect to hear about Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and big pc ports coming to the console.

1UP is also rumoring...

Quote:
We'll tell you what's up with Microsoft: new hardware options. It may sound totally insane -- trust us, we did a double-take the first time Qmann whispered it in our ears -- but word has it that Microsoft may begin allowing third-party manufacturers to create Xbox 360 hardware. And we're not talking about peripherals, people; we mean hardware that runs 360 game discs created by someone other than Microsoft.
That would be interesting to hear more details about. Could resolve RROD and drive the price down.. drastically. I think the 360 has most of its cards on the table, but I am expecting Microsoft to have atleast 2 surprises up their sleeve.

The latest rumor.. is that Resident Evil 5 is now a timed exclusived for the 360. Microsoft and Capcom have been in talks for some months working on the deal. If this is true, this will most definitely piss off anyone who doesn't own a 360. I'm not sure if thats good or bad

Avatars are rumored as well... (the answer to Mii and the replacement to the gamertag)

...along with a HUGE fall update to change the 360 dashboard completely. (hense no spring update this season).

I dunno, it seems if anyone has any surprises it might be Nintendo. I'm expecting Sony to show God of War 3, Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2 and the like as well as some HUGE blowout about Home.

Outside of this I'm not really getting my hopes up for E3 this year, though its always fun to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

sir tex

Quote:
another rumor: Kratos from GoW3 will be in the ps3 version of soul calibur IV

that'd be so much better than darth fucking vader

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
that'd be so much better than darth fucking vader

have you seen the american box art? darth vadar and yoda are on their respective covers. it's so sad.