General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

KillerScene

Chipped Teeth Q

So over the summer, long story short, I took a dive into my friend's hardwood floor. That resulted in the bottom halves of my top 2 front teeth getting busted out. I managed to find the 2 pieces, and my dentist epoxied them back in. Since then, I have had to have them resurfaced twice, and now, a good sized piece chipped off while i was brushing last night.

I am sick and tired of paying to have them fixed, and wondering if i should just break down and have them capped. What is involved in getting front teeth capped? Is it worth it? Or should i just continue with epoxy treatments?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

armorshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerScene View Post
So over the summer, long story short, I took a dive into my friend's hardwood floor. That resulted in the bottom halves of my top 2 front teeth getting busted out. I managed to find the 2 pieces, and my dentist epoxied them back in. Since then, I have had to have them resurfaced twice, and now, a good sized piece chipped off while i was brushing last night.

I am sick and tired of paying to have them fixed, and wondering if i should just break down and have them capped. What is involved in getting front teeth capped? Is it worth it? Or should i just continue with epoxy treatments?

Bring it up to your dentist that you're interested in getting a more 'permanent' treatment. Getting crowns involves getting the tooth shaved down circumferentially,having a highly accurate impression taken and sent to a lab, which then fabricates a model from the impression.Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the lab then uses various substances (ceramic/metal, all porcelain, zirconia) to fabricated the crowns, which the dentist can then slide over the shaved down tooth like 2 solo cups sliding over each other.

The final crowns are retained with various kinds of cement, and should be indistinguishable from your natural teeth. They will eventually need replacement (Assuming you have normal oral hygiene, 10-15 years is what I would consider a "normal" life span. Root canals on the teeth may end up becoming necessary as well (Or may already be necessary).

As far as whether it's worth it or not, that's really up to you. Cost for 2 crowns could range from $3-6000 in private practice, or less if you get work done in a dental school or have some kind of insurance. To me at least, if they're coming unbonded every few months, you might as well just get the crowns.

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Consider resin bonds. They last for years and are very inexpensive.

KillerScene

wow, well i really dont have the money to cover either of those at the moment, or for a while. I guess ill just have to put up with resurfacing til i get a real job

thanx for the input

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

My fiance recommends getting veneers. They require less removal of the original tooth and are just as reliable as caps.

RiderOnTheStorm
Stapler makes me hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Consider resin bonds. They last for years and are very inexpensive.

This, but you should ultimately get them capped. I have to do the same to my front two teeth. I have insurance and it's still $600 a tooth. Of course, my dentist also basically told me that putting the old pieces back in would actually be worse than just putting in new bonds. And aside from the staining issue (they don't stain/clean the way normal teeth do), they look great, and last minimum a year to two years, and I don't take great care of my teeth.
-GavinZac

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Where the hell do you guys go to the dentist! I chipped four teeth from various sports throughout my life, and each time I get a new bond it costs less than 150$

RiderOnTheStorm
Stapler makes me hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Where the hell do you guys go to the dentist! I chipped four teeth from various sports throughout my life, and each time I get a new bond it costs less than 150$

Oh, my bonds cost maybe $75. I've gotten them occasionally for the cost of a cleaning because my dentist likes me. It's the caps that are going to cost me so damn much.
-GavinZac

KillerScene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
And aside from the staining issue (they don't stain/clean the way normal teeth do), they look great, and last minimum a year to two years, and I don't take great care of my teeth.

so i should probably wait til i quit smoking to make a more permanent decision? that would give me time to get some cashflow to do this as well lol

Blackstarx

I chipped my top front teeth two years ago when I face planted onto cement while running. My dentist recommended fixing them with bonds for now since they usually lasts for years, so that down the road I could get crowns if I wanted.

Needless to say I've chipped the bonds twice and it costed about 600 dollars to repair. I recently chipped one of them again and have neglected to get it fixed because its becoming a money sink at this point.

I'm a nail biter and that's been the culprit two of those times. In my experience, dropping the money for the crowns would have been a smarter decision at this point