General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DoubleJ
i make wiggles happy on the inside and horny on the outside

Gasket maker ultra blue RTV?

How hard is this stuff to use? I have to replace a valve cover gasket. I have free Ultra Blue high temp/high pressure silicone RTV at my disposal. Is making a gasket bead at all difficult? A better question actually is, is it easy to fuck up?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

The Spyder

1: Go to RockAuto.com and order the correct gasket. Should cost no more then $10
2: Ultra blue is "ok", but Ultra Black in my experience building engines, is superior for oil/gas exposure.
3: You should have to use nothing on a new gasket.

MazingHL

If you use the RTV to the valve cover gasket, next time you have to take it off, you'll have a very difficult time. I once have to break a valve cover to get to the head in a junkyard because the entire cover was RTV on.

Turbos are in my cars

M-Unit
Master-B and is gay lover Jumbypunk = OWNED.

it's not hard to make at all. It can be a little messy, but it wipes up easily when wet.

It's makes a very sticky gasket so removal can be difficult, but on the plus side, less likely to leak.

I've got plenty on my truck and it seems to hold up alright over time

"All messages posted become the property of General Mayhem, LLC."

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Make sure you pack it on there so a bunch of it falls inside whatever you're sealing.

I have seen a 2 Camry engines destroyed by RTV from the previous owner's hack-job oil pan gasket getting sucked into the pickup tube and staving the top of the engine. That shit is very mobile when it's wet and you don't need 10lbs of it to make a proper gasket.

d114

I use it on hoses. Lube makes getting the rubber on so much easier. If it's dry, you have to sort of cram it on there and sometimes it won't even go in, some cars are really anal but with a bit of the lube the anal problem goes away and it slips right in.

grjr

OP, like others have said, putting on a new gasket shouldn't require any RTV unless it is in 90 degree corners of the gasket which may or may not apply to your situation. Just be sure to get the two sealing surfaces perfectly clean before installing the new gasket, use brake cleaner or acetone for this along with a rag or q-tips. I also find that if you torque the valve cover bolts/nuts to spec and in the correct sequence then you are almost guaranteed to get a perfect seal every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazingHL View Post
If you use the RTV to the valve cover gasket, next time you have to take it off, you'll have a very difficult time. I once have to break a valve cover to get to the head in a junkyard because the entire cover was RTV on.

those chrysler valve covers are easy to break anyways, I've done it before

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
OP, like others have said, putting on a new gasket shouldn't require any RTV unless it is in 90 degree corners of the gasket which may or may not apply to your situation. Just be sure to get the two sealing surfaces perfectly clean before installing the new gasket, use brake cleaner or acetone for this along with a rag or q-tips. I also find that if you torque the valve cover bolts/nuts to spec and in the correct sequence then you are almost guaranteed to get a perfect seal every time.

those chrysler valve covers are easy to break anyways, I've done it before

are they the composite ones?

DoubleJ
i make wiggles happy on the inside and horny on the outside

Just to be clear, I wasn't looking to RTV the gasket in place, I was looking to use the RTV to make the gasket and skip the pre-formed one.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Table View Post
Make sure you pack it on there so a bunch of it falls inside whatever you're sealing.

it's from people that don't know how to use RTV to make a gasket

clean the surfaces as best you can, put a bead on there and put it on the head, tighten till the RTV bulges out slightly, leave it to set up for a good two or three hours, come back after it's cured and tighten the rest of the way

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Creepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
I use it on hoses. Lube makes getting the rubber on so much easier. If it's dry, you have to sort of cram it on there and sometimes it won't even go in, some cars are really anal but with a bit of the lube the anal problem goes away and it slips right in.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post

it's from people that don't know how to use RTV to make a gasket

clean the surfaces as best you can, put a bead on there and put it on the head, tighten till the RTV bulges out slightly, leave it to set up for a good two or three hours, come back after it's cured and tighten the rest of the way

TSRH, UltraBlue is some of the best stuff out there, despite what whatshisface said about the black; UB cleans up very well after the set, especially if you pull the part later and need to remove it, it just peels right off.

Do what asa says: let it set, then torque, and you'll have a perfectly-sealed valve cover, unless you screw up. I'd let it set longer than three hours, tho, I think the directions say how long it should set.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

asa

Honestly, I'd prolly let it set overnight, but 2-3 should do you well so long as you dont have 3/8ths of an inch of the shit on there.

Asa of the Infidel Crew

grjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't looking to RTV the gasket in place, I was looking to use the RTV to make the gasket and skip the pre-formed one.

what car/motor do you want to do this on anyways?

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
what car/motor do you want to do this on anyways?

Betcha a dollar its the 4.9l F150 he has

Asa of the Infidel Crew