General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

HEMI_426

Shot my first steel-plate "match" today...

It was fun. The local police training range offers a program for university-affiliated faculty/staff to work on "firearms safety." This means we get to shoot for four hours a month at a paltry cost of $30 a year. It's not the nicest range, but it's useful.

I somehow got picked to be a range monitor a few years ago. So, I get invited to the range monitor-only shoots. This morning was a steel-plate match. You had to shoot six plates while standing, run over to another station, shoot six more while kneeling, then hustle over to a "wall" and shoot three more "bad-guy" plates from concealment. My Glock 23 with WWB ammo required two shots (at least) to put the bad-guy plates down; the guys shooting 9mm couldn't put them down at all. The factory-loaded .45ACP shooters didn't have any problems, but the guys shooting target-loaded .45ACP had problems putting the bad-guy plates down.

I somehow managed to come in fourth. This was better than all but one of the other civilians and most of the cops. I'd never shot anything like this before and I've never really worked on shooting "fast" before.

I had a blast...Besides getting so sunburned I look like Sinestro, it was a great time. I need to see if there are any regular competitions for this type of event around my area.

Anyone else do this sort of stuff? I know Yar does...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

yar11800

Steel plates are fun. I load my 9mm fairly hot (124 grain bullet going 1250 fps). It takes steel with authority. Some people powder puff their loads and I never really understood. First while the felt recoil feels soft, the gun cycles slower. Granted most people are not going to feel like their waiting on the gun. Secondly sometimes when they get a sloppy hit on steel the plate rocks and hesitates before it falls. I see this in my peripheral vision and am tempted to swing back on the plate. With a hot 124 if I hit it I know it's going to fall.
On heavy plates or poppers you can aim high on the plate or double tap it.
Go to uspsa.org and do a search on your zip code. This will show what clubs hold matches in your area. Generally these ranges run other formats besides uspsa such as steel, 3 gun and idpa.

HEMI_426

Yeah, I was aiming high (at the "head" of the bad-guy plates) and they still took two to go down.

I'd need a different pistol if I wanted to shoot hot 9mm...Although I suppose I could convert my Glock 23.

I'll give the USPSA site a look. Thanks.

After looking, there's nothing within a few hours. East central Illinois sucks. I hate living in this God-forsaken state.

Last edited by HEMI_426; 04-05-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: bitching about central Illinois.

yar11800

Well you can help expand the steel match at the police range. If you go to my site, www.madtrigger.com in the forum, under match adminstraton there are a bunch of steel stage diagrams. You could get some ideas and help design some stages for people to shoot. If people start to get into the program will grow.

HEMI_426

That's the sucktastic part. This range I was shooting at is only open to a very limited number of people. It's not open to the public, nor will it most likely ever be. There's only one indoor range that's open to the public within an hour's driving distance. There are a few sportsman's clubs, but they're total tools about that kind of event so nothing will ever happen there. The one indoor range has IDPA stuff, but every time I've happened to be there when an event is going on it's 95% old guys standing around jaw-jacking instead of shooting.

I think I should just move.

jduddleston

Must be near me.

I'm guessing U of I or EIU. Some sportsmens clubs might be open to steel plate. After reading about it , I would like to get back into it. I was never very good but I really enjoy it.
BTW mildly hot 124 grain plated hollow points work best in 9mm. Steel plates can usually be calibrated to fall with light hits some clubs intentionally set them heavy to favor .45s.

Typhoon43

I know I traded my .380 in when it couldn't knock a plate over from 15 yards. My buddy's Kahr PM-9 did fine. I was pisssssed. Stepped up to a Shield .40. Bulkier than my Bodyguard but at least I feel like I have a chance if I find myself in a situation to have to use it.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

No

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Oh shit necrobump.

btw, don't think that because some steel plate didn't fall over the 38 wouldn't work on an actual person. Knock back is a myth - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If a round could knock a man down, it would knock you back when you fired. People fall when they get shot, but not because the bullet "knocked them down" - the combined KE of a .40/.45 is the same as dropping a 1lb weight from 6 feet iirc, certainly not enough to knock any normal man down, and certainly there's no guarantee that it will unless you hit vitals.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

you mean the stuff in movies isn't true?

DIP DAP DEEEERP

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Wasn't it you a while ago, saying the opposite?

Stopping power is a tricky concept - from pistol rounds temporary cavity doesn't really matter, it's all about where you hit and penetration. Hydrostatic shock is more BS some people believe in. Simply doesn't exist, certainly won't "stop your heart" - and even if it did the other guy can still fire on you. Better to 'double tap' and create multiple holes than count on a single one to hit the brain/brain stem. That's really the only way to "stop" somebody instantly with a pistol. So a 9 is fine, by far more important to shoot well.

If I'm preaching to the choir when it comes to you flaps, then fine Maybe someone else will see it and learn something.