this from http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/BKK77280.htm

UN body says H5N1 bird flu found on Lao farm
28 Jul 2006 07:44:57 GMT
Source: Reuters

Printable view | Email this article | RSS [-] Text [+]

Background

Bird flu
More

(Adds FAO adviser, government reaction) By Darren Schuettler BANGKOK, July 28 (Reuters) - The H5N1 bird flu virus has been found on a poultry farm in Laos, the country's first major outbreak since 2004, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said on Friday. The outbreak occurred on a commercial farm 25 km (15 miles) south of Vientiane where about 2,500 chickens died last week, according to state media reports. The same farm experienced an outbreak in early 2004 when the virus swept through parts of Asia, including Communist-led Laos where most of its 5.6 million people live in remote rural areas. Since then, the only previous discovery of the H5N1 virus in Laos had been in a single duck in May this year. "The government of Laos has taken immediate action to control the spread of the virus by culling all chickens in the farm, disinfecting the farm and imposed movement restrictions within the five kilometre surveillance zone," said Wantanee Kalpravidh, FAO regional coordinator for Avian Influenza Projects. FAO and Lao investigators were scouring the area for the source of the outbreak. "We have not had anything like this since 2004 so now we have to find where it comes from and make sure it doesn't continue," FAO technical adviser Ricarda Mondry told Reuters by telephone from Vientiane. State media reported the H5 subtype was first detected on the Dongbang poultry farm in Xaythany district on July 18. A Thai lab confirmed later the virus was H5N1. Prime Minister Bouasone Bouphavanh has ordered officials to step up surveillance, tighten border inspection of imported poultry and warn the public "about the grave danger posed by the disease", the Vientiane Times newspaper said. Laos has reported no human cases of bird flu, but earlier this week the virus killed a teenager in neighbouring Thailand where H5N1 recurred after an eight-month lull. Health experts consider impoverished Laos a weak link in the global fight against the virus, which has killed at least 133 people worldwide. With help from foreign donors, including a $3.4 million grant from the United States last year, Laos drew up a national bird flu strategy that was approved by the government in January. But Laos still lacked an active avian influenza surveillance system, said the FAO, which is working with other international agencies to strengthen the country's capacity to fight bird flu. Experts fear a human outbreak in poor countries such as Laos and Cambodia -- where basic health care barely exists outside urban areas -- would not be detected until it's too late. At present, H5N1 remains essentially a disease of birds and is hard for people to catch. But scientists fear the virus could mutate into a form that spreads easily among humans and trigger a pandemic in which millions could die.

AlertNet news is provided by

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

curdledvomit

this from http://english.people.com.cn/200607/...30_288244.html

H5N1 virus detected among chickens in Thai northeast

printResizeButton();
Some 300,000 chickens in Thailand's northeastern province of Nakhon Phantom will be culled Sunday after the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus has been detected there, caretaker Deputy Agriculture Minister Adorn Piengket announced Sunday.

Adorn said that lab tests confirmed that the strain of bird flu virus was detected in some of 2,200 chickens that died in the farms in Nakhon Phantom province last week.

As a result, the ministry ordered the culling of 300,000 chickens in 78 farms in the province.

Source: Xinhua

H5N1 virus detected among chickens in Thai northeast printResizeButton();
Some 300,000 chickens in Thailand's northeastern province of Nakhon Phantom will be culled Sunday after the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus has been detected there, caretaker Deputy Agriculture Minister Adorn Piengket announced Sunday.

Adorn said that lab tests confirmed that the strain of bird flu virus was detected in some of 2,200 chickens that died in the farms in Nakhon Phantom province last week.

As a result, the ministry ordered the culling of 300,000 chickens in 78 farms in the province.

Source: Xinhua

JustInTehLurk
What are these wonderful things on my chest?

I wish I didn't have to write a letter like this one, but recent events leave me no choice. Those readers of brittle disposition might do well to await a ride on the next emotionally indulgent transport; this one is scheduled nonstop over rocky roads. As soon as you're strapped in, I'll announce something to the effect of how Curdledvomit's fans all have serious personal problems. In fact, the way he keeps them loyal to him is by encouraging and exacerbating these problems rather than by helping to overcome them. By now, the reader has discerned that I could hazard a guess and say that Curdledvomit's favorite stinking dingbats will pooh-pooh the concerns of others before long. So let me just add that he says that he has his moral compass in tact. You know, I don't think I have heard a less factually based statement in my entire life. I am not mistaken when I say that every so often, you'll see Curdledvomit lament, flog himself, cry mea culpa for seeking to sell us fibs and fear mixed with a generous dollop of terrorism, and vow never again to be so postmodernist. Sadly, he always reverts to his old behavior immediately afterwards, making me think that he believes that he has achieved sainthood. Sorry, but I have to call foul on that one.

It is therefore reasonable to infer that when Curdledvomit was first found trying to deny us the opportunity to put to rest disingenuous and tendentious pronouncements such as Curdledvomit's, I was scared. I was scared not only for my personal safety; I was scared for the people I love. And now that he is planning to create a new fundamentalism based not on religion but on an orthodoxy of cameralism, I'm terrified. Why does he want to make our country spiritually blind? Psychologists might suggest that those who undermine the intellectual purpose of higher education do us all a great injustice. Counselors might feel that this is a very real and serious concern. Sociologists might point out that he treats serious issues callously and somewhat flippantly. I agree with the above assessments, but Curdledvomit constantly insists that everyone who doesn't share his beliefs is a treacherous blockhead deserving of death and damnation. But he contradicts himself when he says that he never engages in unprofessional, pusillanimous, or brown-nosing politics.

If you ever ask Curdledvomit to do something, you can bet that your request will get lost in the shuffle, unaddressed, ignored, and rebuffed. To deny that that statement can be most easily defended, since it is not quantitative, but qualitative, is loathsome nonsense and political irresponsibility. It is nonsense because he leaves me no choice but to wander around in a quagmire of self-pity and depression. And it is irresponsible because he sometimes has trouble convincing people that the world's salvation comes from whims, irrationality, and delusions. When he has such trouble, he usually trots out a few sanctimonious vandals to constate authoritatively that truth is merely a social construct. Whether or not that trick of his works, it's still the case that when I observe Curdledvomit's votaries' behavior, I can't help but recall the proverbial expression, "monkey see, monkey do". That's because, like him, they all want to bribe the parasitic with the earnings of the productive. Also, while a monkey might think that Curdledvomit's slogans are Right with a capital R, the fact remains that in the Old Testament, the Book of Kings relates how the priests of Baal were slain for deceiving the people. I'm not suggesting that there be any contemporary parallel involving Curdledvomit, but for Curdledvomit's libidinous plans to succeed, he needs to "dumb down" our society. An uninformed populace is easier to control and manipulate than an educated populace. In the immediate years ahead, schoolchildren will stop being required to learn the meanings of words like "pectinatodenticulate" and "intercrystallization". They will be incapable of comprehending that I suppose it's predictable, though terribly sad, that biggety pothouse drunks with stronger voices than minds would revert to aberrent behavior. But I find that I am embarrassed. Embarrassed that some people don't realize that Curdledvomit will win support by encapsulating frustrations and directing them toward unpopular scapegoats because he possesses a hatred that defies all logic and understanding, that cannot be quantified or reasoned away, and that savagely possesses amoral galoots with sinister and uncontrollable rage. We should not concern ourselves with Curdledvomit's putative virtue or vice. Rather, we should concern ourselves with our own welfare and with the fact that I can guarantee the readers of this letter that if I were a complete sap, I'd believe Curdledvomit's line that it is disorganized to question his invectives. Unfortunately for him, I realize that Curdledvomit accuses me of being heartless whenever I state that I cannot, in good conscience, step aside and let demonic tricksters encourage a deadly acceptance of intolerance. Alright, I'll admit that I have a sharp tongue and sometimes write with a bit of a poison pen but the fact remains that Curdledvomit doesn't want to acknowledge that he presents quasi-scientific and pseudointellectual justifications for his venal agendas in order to convince people that ethical responsibility is merely a trammel of earthbound mortals and should not be required of a demigod like him. In fact, Curdledvomit would rather block all discussion on the subject. I suppose that's because he never tires of trying to extinguish fires with gasoline. Curdledvomit presumably hopes that the magic formula will work some day. In the meantime, he seems to have resolved to learn nothing from experience, which tells us that you might say, "His inclinations are a parody of original thought." Fine, I agree. But the key to his soul is his longing for the effortless, irresponsible, automatic consciousness of an animal. Curdledvomit dreads the necessity, the risk, and the responsibility of rational cognition. As a result, he will probably respond to this letter just like he responds to all criticism. He will put me down as "disreputable" or "blathering". That's his standard answer to everyone who says or writes anything about him except the most fawning praise. While I agree with others' assessment that Curdledvomit has been, still is, and always will remain more dour than puerile, contumelious tax cheats, still, Curdledvomit expresses only the noblest intentions, singing praises to the value of community even as he enacts policies that grasp at straws, trying to find increasingly belligerent ways to compromise the things that define us, including integrity, justice, love, and sharing. Am I being unduly harsh for writing that? I think not. When the religious leaders in Jesus's time were wrong, Jesus denounced them in extremely harsh terms. So why shouldn't I, too, use extremely harsh terms to indicate that shameless adages have consequences?

Take a good, close look at yourself, Curdledvomit. What you'll probably find is that you're dangerous. This is equivalent to saying that he believes that his mottos are Holy Writ. The real damage that this belief causes actually has nothing to do with the belief itself, but with psychology, human nature, and the skillful psychological manipulation of that nature by Curdledvomit and his ignorant associates. Nice try to make his treatises a key dynamic in modern opportunism by viscerally defining "photodisintegration" through the experience of illaudable hooliganism, Curdledvomit. One does not have to kill the messenger and control the message in order to arraign him at the tribunal of public opinion. It is a hostile person who believes otherwise.

Curdledvomit's attempts to turn the trickle of imperialism into a tidal wave are much worse than mere mandarinism. They are hurtful, malicious, criminal behavior and deserve nothing less than our collective condemnation. Let me mention again that there is a format Curdledvomit should follow for his next literary endeavor. It involves a topic sentence and supporting facts. Having studied his charges and finding them groundless, I must now tell the world that if you looked up "fatuitous" in the dictionary, you'd probably see Curdledvomit's picture. We could opt to sit back and let Curdledvomit reduce history to an overdetermined, wireframe sketch of what are, in reality, complex, dynamic events. Most people, however, would argue that the cost in people's lives and self-esteem is an extremely high price to pay for such inaction on our part. And there you have it. Curdledvomit personifies our nation's short attention span and penchant for apathy.
yeah, something about having a penis lodged deep in your heart... that's romance - SwedishChef

The Farm

i love getting bird flu

curdledvomit

this from http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08...sia_Upper.html

Commentary

High Levels of Human H5N1 in Ferret Upper Respiratory Tract

Recombinomics Commentary
August 1, 2006

Indon05 virus exhibited severe illness with substantial weight loss (18.8% mean maximum 7 days p.i.) and dyspnea but no sneezing; none of the ferrets survived past day 7 p.i. (Table 1). Although high titers of infectious virus were detected in the upper respiratory tract of Indon05-inoculated ferrets, virus was not detected in any of the nasal washes from the contact ferrets through day 9 p.c.

The above comments from the ahead of the press PNAS publication,
"Lack of transmission of H5N1 avian-human reassortant influenza viruses in a ferret model", indicate the human H5N1 isolate from Indonesia, A/Indonesia/5/05(H5N1), grows to high titer in the upper respiratory tract in inoculated ferrets. This property is cause for concern because the data indicate such a change can be achieved in the absence or reassortment or changes in the receptor binding domain.

WHO and consultants have been offering reassurances that new H5N1 human isolates do not have human genes or changes in the receptor binding domain. However, the publication above uses avian / human reassortants in an ferret model to monitor transmissibility of such reassortants. The data, which includes earlier data on reassortants using a 1997 isoalte, indicate that the reassorted genes do not offer selective advantage. The human genes decrease the ability of the H5N1 to grow in tissue culture or transmit under the experimental conditions that allow for transmission of human flu.

Although most of the human sequences from Indonesia have been withheld, the HA and NA genes of the above isolate have been released. The HA sequence does not have changes in the receptor binding domain. WHO and consultants have been monitoring changes at positions 226 and 228. These changes are thought to affect receptor binding specificities and increase binding for receptors found in the upper respiratory tract of mammals, However, although the human H5N1 isolate from Indonesia does not have these changes, it is able to grow to high titers in the upper respiratory tracts of the ferrets.

Thus, although the parameters being monitored by WHO and consultants have not changed in the Indonesia isolate, the high titers in the ferret upper respiratory tracts indicates other changes have led to this increased ability.

The HA sequence that has been released has a novel glycosylation and cleavage site in HA. The novel cleavage site has caused concern because it has not been reported in Indonesian poultry isolates. The frequency of H5N1 in humans or other mammals by be underestimated because surveillance in animals in Indonesia as poor and human cases are generally not tested for H5N1 bird flu unless there is a history of contact with dead or dying poultry.

Changes in the HA cleavage site can impact tissue tropism because HA cleavage is required for infection, and the cleavage is controlled by tissue specific proteases which cleavage at basic amino acids, but the surrounding sequence regulates the protease target. Most of the human isolates on the large island of Java have the novel cleavage site.

H5N1 evolves via acquisition of new sequences via recombination. The high concentration of H5N1 in Indonesia creates conditions for dual infections and H5n1 evolution. These changes do not require reassortment or changes in the receptor binding domain, the parameters being monitored by WHO.

Instead, H5N1 has been gradually changing and the number of distinct versions of H5N1 that have bee shown to cause fatal infections in humans continue to grow. None of these newly reported isolates reported reassortment with human genes. Instead the lack of such changes have been cited by governments claiming that the human isolates have not "mutated".

These reassurances are far from reassuring because H5N1 can evolve and increase efficiencies in the absence of these changes, as indicated by the high levels of H5N1 in the upper respiratory tract of experimental ferrets.

curdledvomit

this from http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08..._Karo_H2H.html

Commentary

H5N1 Human Transmission in Karo Cluster in North Sumatra?

Recombinomics Commentary
August 2, 2006

"Sedangkan Evi only normal fevers then. Because his parents felt the difficulty of his two children was sick, yes at the same time was shifted to RS HAM," beber him sembari mentioned a week beforehand Dedek experienced the cough. "Dan just overnight, on Monday (31/7) fevers tinggi," he exclaimed.

The three patients suspect bird flu that was reconciled to RSUP Adam the Owner was Moses (1,5), Evi boru Sitepu (10), Dedek Sitepu (10) was reconciled to Medan struck 14.00.

Now, still had three other patients who had the sign was the same as three patients suspect. Only, the patient was named Julham Sitepu (15), Reni boru Tarigan (32), Alvian Ginting (10) -- the mother and the child, still was in in the Kabanjahe Public Hospital, Karo. Their condition was not yet as serious as three patients who were stated suspect.

The above translation gives more detail on the six hospitalized patients in Karo. Media reports indicate the 18 month old child is a neighbor, but some local reports indocate the toddler's name is Moses Valentine Septu while others use Moses Perangin-angin. Thus, the genetic relationship between the three most serious cases remains unclear. The index case is Dedak Sitepu who developed symptoms about a week before sibling Evi boru Sitepu (aka Elvi Febrianti Sitepu). These three patients have lung involvement and have been transferred tp Adam Malik, the hospital that treated most of the cases in the earlier Karo cluster.

Alvian Ginting is the child of Reni boru Tarigan. They are in a nearby village and their chickens died. It is unclear if the is a genetic relationship to the Sitepu's or to the Ginting's who were in the earlier cluster. There had been speculation on a genetic predisposition for the earlier cluster because all confirmed cases were blood relatives. The genetic relationship between the current cases with each other or the earlier cluster remains unclear.

However, transmission in other clusters in Vietnam and Azerbaijan involved a nurse or neighbor, which diminishes a genetic predisposition explanation for the human-to-human transmissions.

Although H5N1 has not been confirmed in the patients, there have been bird outbreaks in the area and birds owned by two of the patients have died. However, recent sequences from birds in the area are lacking and sequences from the patients who died in the earlier Karo cluster have been withheld. On Java, the sequences from H5N1 bird flu in the patients do not match the sequences from the poultry.

More detail on the genetic relationship between the six hospitalized patients as well as the H5N1 from birds in the area as well as the earlier cluster would be useful.

Janet Reno
fort fagg
Mommy says I was suppose to be an abortion.

Your fascination with disease is very unhealthy, my friend. I hope you aren't the kind to have a packed medicine cabinet.
skra[M] krew nurga █▄ ■ █▄

Gullop
What a waste of a title.

Everyone seems to of got bored of this bird flu stuff.

Vienge.
Vienge
FULL BLOWN WIENER!

well nothing big happens its just another dud.

Janet Reno
fort fagg
Mommy says I was suppose to be an abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienge.
well nothing big happens its just another dud.

It's not really a dud so much as we deal with it really well. But giving governments credit is blasphemy ofc.
skra[M] krew nurga █▄ ■ █▄

MadDog
NO FAT CHICKS!!!

this thread is still going, amazing

dirty sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog
this thread is still going, amazing

true dat! but so does chicken flu.....

FREE BERTICUS!!

(Philly) PA krew re%

a better [M] for a better tomorrow!!- http://www.genmay.com/group.php?groupid=21

Vendetta for Congress, 2012! - Change you really, really want!

dastrike

THE END IS NIGH