General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiferguy View Post
A better question would be what would happen first: Asian, female president, or white, gay, atheist president?
I say that female, hispanic and then asian would be the most likely order and a gay/atheist of any race would be a long shot. Of course, other than Hillary (NOOOOOOOO!!!) I don't know of any current female rising stars (Palin doesn't count) and I really can't think of any other black, hispanic or asian political superstars either.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I say that female, hispanic and then asian would be the most likely order and a gay/atheist of any race would be a long shot. Of course, other than Hillary (NOOOOOOOO!!!) I don't know of any current female rising stars (Palin doesn't count) and I really can't think of any other black, hispanic or asian political superstars either.

I don't know, I think that even a Terri Shaivo would have a good chance on the republican ticket considering the sleeping giant that has been awakened by current political shenanigans so cant even rule out Palin.

But to plumb the absurd depths of possible candidates. Maybe america need to be like an alcoholic. Have to hit rock bottom before realization sets in.

A Hannity vs Colmes ticket would be ideal.

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
you are so full of shit. 99% blacks voted for obama, 47% whites did to.

90%+ of blacks vote for the Democrat every election.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
90%+ of blacks vote for the Democrat every election.

yea but people who never vote came out to vote for obama because he's black. the voting place looked like the nightclub.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Also, who cares about race anyway? Aren't we supposed to look past that? Aren't we conditioned that race should not factor in to anything? Isn't it ironic then that the media still makes such a huge deal out of it all?

Everyone. Yes. Yes. No. (See first answer)

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Also, who cares about race anyway? Aren't we supposed to look past that? Aren't we conditioned that race should not factor in to anything? Isn't it ironic then that the media still makes such a huge deal out of it all?

Charles Wrangle says that the people that are against Obamacare look and act like the people he remembers that were against civil rights.

I didn't know you could spot a democrat just by looks.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
I don't know, I think that even a Terri Shaivo would have a good chance on the republican ticket considering the sleeping giant that has been awakened by current political shenanigans so cant even rule out Palin.

I don't think anyone on the republican ticket has a "good chance" anymore. The GOP has been blocking progress for too long and people are finally realizing it.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post

But to plumb the absurd depths of possible candidates. Maybe america need to be like an alcoholic. Have to hit rock bottom before realization sets in.

A Hannity vs Colmes ticket would be ideal.

I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it here. I think you're going to be surprised with the results come November as well as next presidential election. I don't think the American public is in as much an uproar as you think it is.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
I don't think anyone on the republican ticket has a "good chance" anymore. The GOP has been blocking progress for too long and people are finally realizing it.

Hardly. The GOP won out in the last by-election, and people are not seeing any of the "change" promised by Obama really bearing out. Offshore drilling was announced, which was yet another flip-flop, and Obama's health care bill didn't go nearly as far as it should have. Further, the party in power will never retain it for good, and in the American two party system it's bound to swing the other way at some point. I believe the term is called the "8 year itch" or something like that.

That and if Sarah Palin can manage to get this popular after making a fool of herself in the 2008 election, I can hardly consider the general American electorate to be that bright (and that goes for both parties).

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it here. I think you're going to be surprised with the results come November as well as next presidential election. I don't think the American public is in as much an uproar as you think it is.

so you think dems will take the next 2 elections?

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Hardly. The GOP won out in the last by-election, and people are not seeing any of the "change" promised by Obama really bearing out.

I think this is the wrong read, people in the middle are who Obama is fighting to swing towards the democrats, he needs to change just enough to convince them to stick with him. Change we can believe in would obviously be going way too far to win over the anti-deficit folks and such.

Quote:
Offshore drilling was announced, which was yet another flip-flop, and Obama's health care bill didn't go nearly as far as it should have.

OSD wasn't a flip-flop. Obama campaigned on it, he said that drilling should be a major part of the US energy mix, he believed the national security priorities outweighed the environmental concerns. Now the GOP are the ones making the flip flop - they decry new drilling even though their November '08 siren song was "drill baby drill!" ... Obama has forced them to play such fools.

Quote:
Further, the party in power will never retain it for good, and in the American two party system it's bound to swing the other way at some point. I believe the term is called the "8 year itch" or something like that.

Obviously dems won't hold the lawmaking body forever but the GOP is playing a risky strategy - what happens if the Tea Party cannibalizes GOP ranks in November and dems hold their position? Don't discount the possibility. Obama is playing a really good middle ground right now and it's pushing republicans to the fringe, they could eat themselves between now and November ... McCain is already experiencing it.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
so you think dems will take the next 2 elections?

I think democratic victories will crest in 2014 after America swings hard to the left in the first half of Obama's second term.

Gibonius

If the Democrats bring forward an ostensibly decent financial reform bill and the Republicans fight it tooth and nail (like they almost certainly will, regardless of the content of the bill), it will hurt the Republicans pretty badly. The public is still overwhelmingly in favor of such reform and firmly against the banks, the Republicans taking the side of Wall Street would really hurt them.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
I think this is the wrong read, people in the middle are who Obama is fighting to swing towards the democrats, he needs to change just enough to convince them to stick with him. Change we can believe in would obviously be going way too far to win over the anti-deficit folks and such.

Right, that's all he has to do. Once something starts changing, I suppose he can hope to accomplish that. All I've been hearing day by day from my American friends is that NOTHING is fucking changing, that's the problem. He was elected to do something different, and what you guys ended up with was more of the same. Even this health care bill isn't that big of a step. Don't get me wrong, it's a step in the right direction, but it fell far short of the goal, and in the end all it really accomplishes was a big boost to the insurance companies because now they can overcharge an additional 35 million customers.

Quote:
OSD wasn't a flip-flop. Obama campaigned on it, he said that drilling should be a major part of the US energy mix, he believed the national security priorities outweighed the environmental concerns. Now the GOP are the ones making the flip flop - they decry new drilling even though their November '08 siren song was "drill baby drill!" ... Obama has forced them to play such fools.

McCain put out a message last night saying it was a good move by Obama. I've not seen the GOP coming out en masse and claiming offshore drilling is suddenly a bad idea.

Further, Obama made a clear flip flop here! As a matter of fact, let's have a look at what he said in 2008:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think you're the only person I've seen who's not identified this as anything but a flip-flop. If it's not a flip-flop now, than it was a flip-flop during the campaign.

Quote:
Obviously dems won't hold the lawmaking body forever but the GOP is playing a risky strategy - what happens if the Tea Party cannibalizes GOP ranks in November and dems hold their position? Don't discount the possibility. Obama is playing a really good middle ground right now and it's pushing republicans to the fringe, they could eat themselves between now and November ... McCain is already experiencing it.

That's a possibility, but if Obama stays the course, than I think you're going to see more results like the last by-election (IE, GOP regaining power). Obama's approval ratings have dropped below 50% last I checked (last week). The problem I think Obama got into was the hero worship he had during the campaign set the expectation bar way to high. Unless he walks on water, he's not going to meet the people's expectations, regardless of the job he's doing. The polls have shown that.

Last edited by Tom Kazansky; 04-01-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
I think democratic victories will crest in 2014 after America swings hard to the left in the first half of Obama's second term.

That's a pipe dream at this point, sorry to let you down.