General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

detail
Impeach and try Bush/Cheney! 911 was an inside job!

Freaking out when bringing a gun to a deal

I have been reading about issues with people setting up deals for Craigslist only to meet up at a gas station or such at night and getting robbed.

So I went to buy some electronics from a guy, since I was carrying a few hundred dollars and he wanted to meet at night, I decided I better take a gun. I don't own a pistol (I have an AK-47 and an AK-74), but my brother does. I stopped at his house and said, "Can I borrow your gun, I'm carrying cash on me and meeting a Craigslist seller. He gave me his gun.

Well, I meet the guy and since I don't have a concealed weapons permit. When I got to the station, I got out of the car and put the gun in my back pocket showing like state law requires.

The guy comes up and sorta flips out, asking, "You going to war or something?" I said, "No, I just have cash on me."

He responds, "Are you saying I was going to rob you?"

I said, "No, but I wanted it just in case."

He responded, "You going to rob me or something, cuz that's what it seems like." I looked into his eyes and realized the guy really was scared.

I responded, "If I was going to rob you, I wouldn't have let you see the gun until it is in your face, AZ law allows me to carry a gun as long as it isn't concealed." As I said this, I pulled out that cash.

Money definitely talks, because his worries disappeared and was was all about selling the electronics.

I just don't understand why people get so concerned about a gun. I didn't want to meet at night, he did.

I also have had a guy meet me to buy a computer and he had a gun. There was no concern on my behalf. I saw it, "Made some small talk about what kind of gun and how I enjoyed shooting too and sold the item." I could understand a guy getting worried about a gun a person carries when the guy has his pants around his ankles, a shirt that goes to his needs and speaks like, "Yo-Yo, yuz got the prezidentz on you for this bling I be hawkin'." But a guy dressed like a middle-class American?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BPJ

Should have just kept it concealed. If he was going to rob you, why give him a headstart in knowing you had a gun?

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

detail
Impeach and try Bush/Cheney! 911 was an inside job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJ View Post
Should have just kept it concealed. If he was going to rob you, why give him a headstart in knowing you had a gun?

Because I don't have a concealed permit and I'd rather not become a felon...

I'd like a permit, but I just haven't the time to commit to the classes presently.

monkey-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detail View Post
Because I don't have a concealed permit and I'd rather not become a felon...

I'd like a permit, but I just haven't the time to commit to the classes presently.

wouldn't you already have committed a felony since you were packin' illegally?

if caught by the po-po i doubt one more check against you is really gonna make that much difference. So why be paranoid about going one step further and fully concealing the sucker?

Last edited by monkey-boy; 07-15-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Quote:
I just don't understand why people get so concerned about a gun. I didn't want to meet at night, he did.

Because people with guns scare people without guns? I probably would have had the same reaction seeing as how I don't own a firearm. But if he set up a shady deal (at night, crappy location) then I can't blame you for doing it.

Craigslist can be pretty shady though...I remember I sold an old TV of mine to some girl...she had to have been only 22 years old at the most (totally hot too!) and she came alone to my apartment to pick the thing up. I was shocked. Far be it from me to lecture anyone on their own safety, but I had to wonder how much sense she had coming to a strange guy's apartment all on her own.
Hey Charlie Murphy! Arrrgh! You darkness, you black, midnight, evil mother------, black magic, darkness, you raw...darkness, you, -------, delirious mother-------, argh! You were cold as ice! ---- your couch! I'm Rick James, bitch!

cpt Jean Luc Pickard

Wait, I'm not american, but aren't you supposed to use guns that are registered only to you?

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt Jean Luc Pickard View Post
Wait, I'm not american, but aren't you supposed to use guns that are registered only to you?

Not all states register guns.

Edit: I think less than half register guns, but I have no evidence to back that up; someone correct me.

MadDog
NO FAT CHICKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Not all states register guns.

Edit: I think less than half register guns, but I have no evidence to back that up; someone correct me.

Only a few states require gun registration. Also unless the OP had his gun in a holster on the outside of his pants, he was technically concealing his gun. The fact that he was printing (the gun showing through the fabric) does not mean he was openly carrying.

anomaly95

Quote:
When I got to the station, I got out of the car and put the gun in my back pocket showing like state law requires.

I could be wrong, but to open-carry, doesn't it have to be holstered?

Also, either this guy just moved here or he must not get out much. Here in AZ, people open-carry everywhere.

MadDog
NO FAT CHICKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomaly95 View Post
I could be wrong, but to open-carry, doesn't it have to be holstered?

Also, either this guy just moved here or he must not get out much. Here in AZ, people open-carry everywhere.

Correct, sticking a gun in your pocket is considered concealing, therefore what the OP did was illegal.

anomaly95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Correct, sticking a gun in your pocket is considered concealing, therefore what the OP did was illegal.

That's what I thought.

One of my coworkers was shitting bricks because he walked past a uniformed cop in a convenience store when he was carrying. His shirt was slightly untucked and covering a bit of the butt, although it was still visible and holstered. Either the cop didn't notice or he decided not to bust him for it. He knew that he could have been royally fucked if he was busted (as we had security clearances). Bye, bye security clearance? Bye, bye job. Along with the felony.

Last edited by anomaly95; 07-15-2008 at 04:09 PM..

00 Buck

Why not meet in a fucking mall or somewhere crowed/less shady?

You is axking to get shanked!

Blisster
^^^ZOMG, my gf is hawt!

good guys carry in holsters, bad guys carry in pockets/waistbands, etc. A cop told me this once, as did my CCW instructor.

Bay[A]rea represent

Scanner

Ive never felt threatened while looking at peoples shit on LA Craigslist. Next time just bring a friend if your really paranoid about getting "jacked". If its a good amount of money make a run to the ATM.

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz

Sounds like you need to do your research before carrying again.