General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Walt Kowalski
pwned

Question about carrying in California v.the law isn't totally clear

I looked through the FAQ and have read numerous pages covering the laws here, but I want to be quite clear about what the law means. In California, the law says "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section."

Everything I have read indicates that it IS legal to carry a pistol in a belt holster, so long as it is NOT concealed (by jacket, any clothing or otherwise), and so long as it is unloaded, without having to have a concealed carry permit. Can anyone confirm this? If this is indeed true, is it also legal to carry the ammo on your person as well, in a pocket or otherwise, where you obviously have immediate access to it? Or is that not legal?

California is well known to be extremely strict on concealed carry permits, and my county is among the worst, and my "good cause" is certainly no better than 100,000 other rejected applicants before me, so carrying an unloaded weapon with the ammo seperately would be my next best option. Anyone in California know definitively or know where to find this information? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

don't go starting gang wars with your friendly neighborhood gooks using only a 1911 now walt...

Walt Kowalski
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
don't go starting gang wars with your friendly neighborhood gooks using only a 1911 now walt...

Well, I'll think of something.. But whatever it is, they won't have a chance

lemcool
notyou

Yes, also, IIRC, you can have a loaded magazine or speed loader in a pocket, concealed, but, once again IIRC, not connected to the holster...

check out www.californiaopencarry.org ... tons of info, stories of people getting hassled by cops who don't know the open carry law, etc.

Walt Kowalski
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Yes, also, IIRC, you can have a loaded magazine or speed loader in a pocket, concealed, but, once again IIRC, not connected to the holster...

check out www.californiaopencarry.org ... tons of info, stories of people getting hassled by cops who don't know the open carry law, etc.

Thank you, that appears to be a very informative site

lemcool
notyou

Just clarification for those who didn't read the site above:

For the most part, in California, you can openly carry an unloaded handgun (or long gun). Places like parks, schools, post offices, and courthouses are of course exempt.

In counties less than 200,000 a permit may be issued for carrying a loaded handgun openly.

Carrying a loaded magazine in a concealed place can be trouble (People vs Hale ruled a magazine is an "essential component", and concealing it is still concealed carry )

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html