General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Slacker

Buying an AR-15 before they're banned again

So there's an excellent chance that there will be a Democratic majority (possibly super majority) in Congress come January. Whether or not Obama becomes president I think there's a good chance we'll see more gun laws, probably an attempt to reinstate the AWB. That being said I think it's about time I get an AR-15, or at least an upper receiver.

I'm pretty poor at the moment so I'm thinking of just getting the receiver now and buying the other parts spread out over time and assembling it myself. I'm in the guard so I've been using an M-16/4 for years and I'm pretty comfortable with it.

So I'm looking for a good brand, relatively inexpensive, and a good place to buy from. My eventual goal is something that looks mil spec but with better parts. Still not completely decided if I want a standard barrel or something shorter, but I'm leaning towards shorter.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Defiler

I got a friend who has been building some AR's for some other friends, so im sure he knows if there are any good deals going on, he was just talking about a (supposdly good brand) nice M4 plain jane upper for about $400 shipped, ill have to ask him and get back to this thread, but in my experiance you cant go wrong with a plain jane DPMS, they always feel real tight and well put together to me, and pretty reasonably priced, but of course thats for a complete rifle,

McMahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
So there's an excellent chance that there will be a Democratic majority (possibly super majority) in Congress come January. Whether or not Obama becomes president I think there's a good chance we'll see more gun laws, probably an attempt to reinstate the AWB. That being said I think it's about time I get an AR-15, or at least an upper receiver.

I'm pretty poor at the moment so I'm thinking of just getting the receiver now and buying the other parts spread out over time and assembling it myself. I'm in the guard so I've been using an M-16/4 for years and I'm pretty comfortable with it.

So I'm looking for a good brand, relatively inexpensive, and a good place to buy from. My eventual goal is something that looks mil spec but with better parts. Still not completely decided if I want a standard barrel or something shorter, but I'm leaning towards shorter.

It's the lower receiver you want, that is the serialized part.

The equipment exchange on ar15.com and gunbroker are good places to start to get an idea of pricing and to see what is out there.

po89mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahan View Post
It's the lower receiver you want, that is the serialized part.

The equipment exchange on ar15.com and gunbroker are good places to start to get an idea of pricing and to see what is out there.

this.

during the ban as today you could easily purchase any ar-15 part that your little heart could desire. Its the lower that they ( the establishment ) put restrictions on,

spend a bill or on on that and a few mags and you wont have to worry about anything else.

28_days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Go to M4Carbine.net. Stay away from AR15.com and their misguided ways. You want an AR that conforms to the milspec technical data package (TDP), that of course is set forth by Colt. This includes: Colt, LMT, BCM, and a few other higher end brands.

A relatively inexpensive AR costs $800, spend ~$1000 and do it right. My suggestion would be a 16" BCM mid-length. A lower is essentially a lower, but stay away from Superior, Blackthorne, etc. Stag/CMT is always a safe bit (not the best, but meets the requirements). 16" is arguably the best length, it does everything well. Sights are a personal opinion, but you'll generally find either fixed (LaRue or LMT), or flip-up (Troy, Magpul is coming out with one soon as well).

Good luck!

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

I already have my AR and my 100rd Beta Mag...just in case

DrMabuse

If you want total package weapon that is top shelf:

Look at the SIG line, I've simply heard too many experienced AR people say they are superior. The SWAT model looks sweet.

Here's one a buddy of mine owns. He's added some stuff as you can see.

Also if you want the AR line the Rock River Arms stuff is first rate.

Here is one a buddy of mine owns. He bought one they had tricked as you can see, but you can get them from plain jane to loaded.

"What is difficult? It is difficult to learn something about yourself." - Thales of Miletus

Black Box

those are some ugly looking rifles

st1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMabuse View Post
If you want total package weapon that is top shelf:

Look at the SIG line, I've simply heard too many experienced AR people say they are superior. The SWAT model looks sweet.

Here's one a buddy of mine owns. He's added some stuff as you can see.

Also if you want the AR line the Rock River Arms stuff is first rate.

Here is one a buddy of mine owns. He bought one they had tricked as you can see, but you can get them from plain jane to loaded.

Bullshit.

The 556 terribly overpriced and not that accurate. It looks like a PE90 raped with plastic AR furnitures. It's so fucking stupid to put a collapsible AR stock on a gun that doesn't require it. The original 550/551 had a kick ass folding stock that was replaced by a 30$ chinese plastic shit on the 556. And don't get me started on that rubber pistol grip. In fact, so many are displeased with the 556 that SIG want to bring the 556 "Classic"

RRA is not first rate. It's second tier. If you want top tier go with Armalite, Colt or LMT.

DrMabuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1650 View Post
Bullshit.

The 556 terribly overpriced and not that accurate. It looks like a PE90 raped with plastic AR furnitures. It's so fucking stupid to put a collapsible AR stock on a gun that doesn't require it. The original 550/551 had a kick ass folding stock that was replaced by a 30$ chinese plastic shit on the 556. And don't get me started on that rubber pistol grip. In fact, so many are displeased with the 556 that SIG want to bring the 556 "Classic"

RRA is not first rate. It's second tier. If you want top tier go with Armalite, Colt or LMT.

Is there anywhere on the internet you can go without some lightweight troll posting some kind of nonsense?

"What is difficult? It is difficult to learn something about yourself." - Thales of Miletus

BigFuzzyArchon

Quote:
Is there anywhere on the internet you can go without some lightweight troll posting some kind of nonsense?

The future

st1650

Quote:

Enjoy your 1800$ sig-tapco plastic hybrid.

po89mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1650 View Post
Bullshit.

armalite , lmt or even rra i could see.

but colt?

cmon

they haven't built a decent rifle (for us surfs) since the green label days.

they are living off past glory pure and simple.

po89mm

Quote:

well he is right, the 556 is way over priced and over hyped for what it is.

kick the msrp down to around $800 or less and you got something to look into.

Naveronski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28_days View Post
Go to M4Carbine.net. Stay away from AR15.com and their misguided ways. You want an AR that conforms to the milspec technical data package (TDP), that of course is set forth by Colt. This includes: Colt, LMT, BCM, and a few other higher end brands.

This is correct.

28, you've seen The Chart by rob_s before, yes?

@OP: Read through this:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...QsEuEhjFwPrgTA

It's long, but will tell you everything you need to know to buy the rifle that fits you.