General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Night Black

Principles of Marksmanship

So, I haven't handled anything bigger than a paintball gun. I'm somewhat familiar with M16 sights, but not very. However, in two weeks, I'm scheduled to qualify on a C7 rifle (Canadian M16A2 with full auto and A1 sights.) on the range. So, like I said, I've never shot a gun before, and while I'll be undergoing familiarization with the basic operation and safety of the rifle in addition to what I know, I won't actually get to shoot until the day before at best, an hour before at worst. I'm just wondering if you guys have any tips for a first time shooter to get the best accuracy and consistency out of the AR-15 platform.

And while I've sorta made sense of ghost rings on my paintball gun, they by nature seem imprecise, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just leaving the post in the middle of the ring, without any way to ensure it is perfectly centered. Anyone mind explaining how they work and how to use them most effectively?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

00 Buck

I don't really like the big aperature on the AR's either, but looooove m14 sights. Probably because of the smaller aperature + longer sight radius.

In theory your eyes should center the front sight post in the middle of the ring, because light is strongest there and everything is clearest.

Use the smaller aperature if you can, and just focus sharply on the front sight post.

Eye focus priority:

Front sight post (very sharply focused)
target [a little blurry]
rear sight aperature/hole (pretty blurry, but the light intensity/clarity should keep you centered)

Now the other important part (possibly more important).

Trigger control. Borrow someone's gun and dry fire A LOT or all this focus on the front sight will be wasted!

Trigger reset is also important in shooting self-loading weapons (AR's, AK's, etc... & semi auto pistols).

I did not learn this until my first carbine class, and felt like a retard for not knowing.

To familiarize yourself with this concept, basically do this:

After you've pressed the trigger and the gun fires (STOP! FREEZE! )

Keep your trigger pressed all the way back!

Now SLOOOOWLY EEEEAAAAASE the trigger forward (don't release the trigger forward all the way!)

You should feel/hear a click as the trigger resets itself for the next shot.

Press the trigger again

Repeat all the above.

You can also do this during dry firing by cycling the gun yourself (with your support hand) while your shooting hand's trigger finger is still holding the trigger back all the way.

In doing this and not releasing the trigger all the way for every shot after the first, you
've removed a lot of trigger weight/travel = faster more accurate follow up shots.

DrMabuse

Beyond the obvious of the aiming.

Breathing is paramount to good shooting.

Take in a deep breath as you address the target, SLOWLY let the breath out even through puckered lips like you are going to whistle(but without the whistle), as you are aiming to fire just let that breath our nice and slow.

SQUEEZE the trigger, do not do an "I've got it!" and yank the trigger when the sight picture is right. Squeeze/pull the trigger back as you let that breath out.

The breathing cuts down on the naturally shaking tendencies of the body, it also helps in focus.

Visualize yourself as an expert marksman with that weapon between now and when you shoot. Just sit and imagine yourself shouldering that weapon, aiming with confidence, and firing a round that travels through the air directly to the bullseye. Think about that, picture it in your mind. That's more important than many understand.

"What is difficult? It is difficult to learn something about yourself." - Thales of Miletus

Night Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buck View Post
Trigger control. Borrow someone's gun and dry fire A LOT or all this focus on the front sight will be wasted!

Well, I think the Canadians modified the aperture sizes for the C7s, though I'm not entirely sure. Supposedly made them better for closer ranges. Anyway, I'm doing this shooting in an Army sponsored FTX, so they might want me to follow their regs about trigger control, possibly release the trigger all the way. But if not, I'll keep that in mind then.

Also, I remembered, when I do my basic rifle familiarization and safety lesson, I'll probably be placed into a simulator. C7 rifle, unloaded but magazine changes are a part of the simulation. C7's hooked up to a gas line and a computer. Giant screen with a simulation of a range, and I have to fire, reload, deal with malfunctions, etc as the computer decides. Though I'm not sure if it's close to what the real experience is like.

dug

breath control
eye relief
trigger control
proper bone relief or something

basically, make sure you're body is in a good position to support the weapon. Make sure you put your eye at the same distance from the sight every time or it will fuck up your bzo. DONT FUCK THE TRIGGER. slowly squeeze on it, if you arn't suprised when the weapon fires you're fucking up. concentrate on the front sight post. the target should be blurry and the front sight post should be in focus for your eye. RELAX, ENJOY YOURSELF, and have a good time

RIP - Official member of the cheesy rice and bean burrito fan club

Member of the [M] Shocker Club. Members: To many to list

OMG SIR

SemperFly

keep the tip of the front sight centered both vertically and horizontally in the rear sight aperture...in other words, put the square thing in the middle of the round thing

clear sight picture: jessica
jessica beil, jessica alba, jessica simpson. whichever one of those bitches you prefer, imagine her painted on the front sight post naked as the day she was born. you'll have no trouble keeping focus on that front sight and the target blurry.

I don't know if you use loop slings but if you do, keep it tight. and remember that your forward hand should grip the handguards like you'd want your girlfriend cupping your balls. not so hard that it's painful but not so loose that she's not doing anything. firm yet relaxed.

find your natural point of aim. sight in, close your eyes, deep breath, open your eyes. adjust your body position to the target, not the weapon

don't overthink it. breathe in, breathe out, slow steady squeeze.

Night Black

Good news. I'm not qualifying on the C7. The C7 shooting is just for shits and giggles, in conjunction with other activities. I'm being instructed to just enjoy myself.

I'm being told that I will qualify on a Daisy Air Rifle 853C (Something similar...) with .117 pellets at 10M. I'm required to qualify at least a grouping of 3 cm for 10 pellets. I'll keep the lessons here in mind.

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Black View Post
Good news. I'm not qualifying on the C7. The C7 shooting is just for shits and giggles, in conjunction with other activities. I'm being instructed to just enjoy myself.

I'm being told that I will qualify on a Daisy Air Rifle 853C (Something similar...) with .117 pellets at 10M. I'm required to qualify at least a grouping of 3 cm for 10 pellets. I'll keep the lessons here in mind.

lol, why are they making you qualify with a BB gun?

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Black View Post

wtf, is this the boy scouts?

Night Black

Army Cadets. The military career is a few years away after university.

00 Buck

Eehh....

You should at least borrow someone's pellet gun and see if you can do it first. Trigger control and front sight focus still applies.

Pretendo

Straight outta my data book from the last qual:

Before we even shoot we spend a week just going over the basics. Everything from the cycle of operations to snapping in and dry firing for hours. The same course taught in boot camp runs through the fleet to maintain that muscle memory.

Looks like buck covered it all pretty well. These are the three biggest things we drill:
  • Aim Control
    Maintaining sight alignment/sight picture. You shouldn't be using your O-2 sights on the range. Maintain absolute focus on the top of the front sight tip, the target should be blurry. You'll hit low if it's not. You also want to make sure your FST is pitch black. A little sight black or running a lighter under it will do the trick. You'll aim high if you've got a bright FST.
  • Breathing Control
    Fire at your natural respiratory pause. This is the moment you're in between an exhale and an inhale and your sights will fall on your natural point of aim. This is where snapping in and dry firing will help you identify your breathing cycle.
  • Trigger Control
    Maintain a high-firm pistol grip and employ a slow steady squeeze. You shouldn't be able to anticipate exactly when you'll fire during your respiratory pause. You also want to employ follow through after the shot, which means maintaining that squeeze and stillness about a second afterwards so you're not artificially manipulating your point of aim during the shot.

Can't really give you much on shooting positions. It's all dependent on how you guys run your course of fire. You'd want a hands on demo for that anyways. Good luck and stay off the caffeine.

Edit: And now you're shooting a BB gun. That's rough.

Last edited by Pretendo; 12-31-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Night Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretendo View Post
Edit: And now you're shooting a BB gun. That's rough.

Actually, it's a bit better. I'm still on the C7/M16, but there's no pressure on me to qualify or anything. I get to practice for it. By the chance I do extremely well on the C7 shoot, they might take those results for the marksmanship qual.

Officially, it's on the air rifle, at short range. But that's for later. I get to shoot an assault rifle in Canuckastan

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretendo View Post
Straight outta my data book from the last qual:

keep the square thing in the middle of the round thing and put the square thing in the middle of the target

Control

Squeeze the trigger so smoothly and slowly that you are surprised when you feel the rifle recoil against your shoulder.

And a strange tip just from my personal experience: If you are at all sensitive to noise (like I am), play a FPS like CoD4 at high volume on headphones frequently before going. It really desensitizes you and makes you less likely to flinch.