General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Does your mom need a fair amount of cabin room?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

maybe it just can't handle hauling your fat ass around in it.

i worked with a man who was so fat he ruined his truck after just 1 year. he also smelled like sweaty shit all the time.

i bet you smell like sweaty shit.

Code: [M]ayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
Lol you live with your parents. Bwahaha

And his parents gave him $15 grand that he blew on a riced out Mitsushitty

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

pictures for which none of you s have context but idgaf

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Pray tell, whose ownage was that??

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I test drove an 89 SuperAHH turbo today, definitely felt its age, some massive boost leak, obviously burning oil. The guy selling it owns a shop of some sort nearby and mentioned that he also has a white 300zx with "126,000" miles on it and a rebuilt motor sitting on a stand. He said that for 7 grand he would drop the motor in and sell me the car. Forgot to ask what year it was.

I'm going to look it over tomorrow evening. Anything in particular I should check for? Obviously without a running motor a test drive is out of the question. Any spots where the cars are rust or in general prone to catastrophic failure? This isn't a Z shop, he's just a random monkey who works on junkers. There is a dedicated Nissan shop a few blocks away that my friend takes his 350 to regularly, so I do have them as a resource.

If Z31 ('84->'88.5), check that the injector harness has been redone (rearranged the banks for bank-fire injection, so if all the injector wires on one side are together, you're good). They have touchy cooling systems, and the PSU for the digital dashes are usually broken (but fixable). Check for rust in the doglegs (behind the door, in front of the rear wheel well). Also, if Z31, 7k is way, WAY too much.

If Z32 NA, pretty much all it needs is the 120k service kit - they're not rust prone, and aside from the Nissan DOHC jenga fitting into the engine bay, they're pretty solid and easy to deal with. If NA, 7k is also too much (I'd pay maybe 5k for a decent one).

If Z32 TT, in addition to the 120k kit, check the turbos for shaft play (the engine's on a stand, right?), check the high pressure power steering hose (they like to leak at the rack fitting or at the hard-pipe to flex-pipe joint), check the condition of the wiring harness (they get brittle in their old age). Finally, though you won't be able to check on account of non-drivable status, the shift fork for 4th gear likes to bend in the manual transmission, which results in a grind at high RPM shifts. Most get away with swapping to Redline something-or-other fluid, but it's a band-aid fix, and the only real solution is to get the '98+ revised 5 speed (imported from Japan).

Yeah it's a 96 Z32 TT (sorry I should have specified.) Sounds like it should be easy enough to check all of these components especially with the engine out, I might actually have a bit of an advantage over buying a complete car which is cool. I'm dealing with a bit of a language barrier here but I should absolutely be able to have him drop the motor in and get a test drive and full inspection by this close-by nissan shop prior to making any sort of commitment to buy.

Watched this youtube video about living with a 300zx on a daily basis, made the car sound fantastic and extremely unique, the fact that it has such a roomy cabin and, despite having slightly primitive interior materials its really well put together. I'll take some pictures tonight.
'96 TT is a different beast - they're OBD2 and they lost Nissan's VTC because of that conversion.

As a result, They're slightly more gutless down low than a non-OBD2 car, and they're not modifiable in the slightest (so don't think you'll be getting an ECU upgrade down the road, they don't exist).

Why is the motor out? If it's been blown up on account of too much boost with no supporting ECU mods, who rebuilt it, and with what parts?

Not modifiable and gutless down low... Don't like the sound of that... Would I need to change to standalone engine management before doing anything?
You can't swap to standalone, unless there's an OBD2 standalone that I'm unaware of. I mean, unless you feel like swapping back every time you need to get it inspected.

The lack of VTC is the cause of the lack of guts in the low RPMs - it's kinda like reverse VTEC (the VTC in non-OBD2 cars is "on" until ~3500RPM, at which point it kicks off and the timing shifts 15), and the only way to get that back is to swap on the heads from an earlier TT.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=446

The car was *probably* street raced/driven abusively by the shop owners son, apparently he grenaded the supra I drove twice doing this.

I wouldn't mind swapping ECU's for smog purposes, assuming its easily accessed.

I'll see how rough it is tonight. The shop owner probably did the rebuild himself, I asked him on the phone whether he'd purchased a reman motor or whether he did it himself... he just paused and said "yes" (minor language barrier)

SON OF A BITCH

its automatic.

And it's pretty banged up. And the mechanic revealed himself as kind of a doofus... Insisted that the manual cars only came with single turbos... The "rebuild" = 2 rebuilt heads fresh back from some machine shop, the shortblock looked completely filthy and in need of love. Absolutely gorgeous, pristine interior though.

Too good to be true, but the shop wasn't too far out of my way so no big deal.

That.^

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Geez

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Jehannum

Tell him I'll give him tree fitty for the driver's side fender.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Tell him I'll give him tree fitty for the driver's side fender.

Did yours go bad?

--John Hobbs

gribly

Such a waste of such a pretty car... the '90's 300zx is still one of the best looking cars ever in my book.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

hrm... rsx-s'es can be had for about 7 grand with 120k ish miles

i've always wanted one

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Did yours go bad?

The friend that's helping me paint spent like 2 hours banging out a body line in the DS fender that was supposed to be there.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Oh and yeah thank you for putting the flamethrower down for a moment and talking me through Z's, Jehannum.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
The friend that's helping me paint spent like 2 hours banging out a body line in the DS fender that was supposed to be there.

derp.

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickikoska View Post
In your mind what is a GPS jammer and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the GPS jammer is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start at jammerfromchina.com and then you will have access to the best GPS jammer.
So, how to learn these amazing technological secrets, and how to spread to other forums dog feces?

--John Hobbs