General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Typhoon43

A few more mods for the Benz (pics)

Well with the Florida Summer being hotter than Satan's ballsack, I wanted to try to do what I could to keep my intake charge temps in check. My current setup consisted of 2 polished 3-inch tubes with K&N's on the end. Everything was out in the open, and the pipes would get stupid hot after driving for just a bit.

This is how she was

After reading a bunch online, it seems the stock intake with panel K&N's flows enough for these cars that run mid 11's in the 1/4. I'm comparably modded so I thought "let's go back to the plastic intake".

Charge boxes mounted, waiting for the panel filters to dry.

Everything tidied up. The stock setup has the tubes mount through the front radiator support to grab fresh air from the sides. Everything fit back like a glove.

And since I was in the modding mode, I finally installed my pillar setup with 2 Aeroforce Interceptors. One to read the Engine Control Module, and the 2nd gauge reads the Transmission Control Module.

Car seems to run just as good, although the Supercharger whine is definitely not as apparent. I'm ok with that though. Going to keep an eye on Intake Air temps and see how they look today in the heat. With the amount of pulley I'm running and it being 100 out in the day, I need to slow the heat soak as much as I can.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

topslop1

Wow that thing looks beast. Any dyno results with it?

Typhoon43

501/569 on Pump gas

12.0@122 in full trim on street tires. Not bad for a black barge.

gribly

Oh wow, I would not be able to deal with those gauges. I do most of my driving at night.

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Oh wow, I would not be able to deal with those gauges. I do most of my driving at night.

So do I, and I love the blue. Had triples in the Lightning and never had a real issue, aside from a little addition to the A-pillar blindspot. These are dimmable so I can drop them down if it's too bad.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Not a fan of pillar gauges, but it looks good!

Does the car feel more responsive with the stock intake with K&N filters?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

You will get colder air from the stock setup which draws air from in front of the radiator instead of the open elements which suck in underhood air anyway.

The temp of the tubes/material the air flows through doesn't really matter. Air doesn't spend enough time in them or make enough contact with them to change much.

also, that open element setup looked pretty ghetto on an AMG. Going back to stock was better all around.

Jehannum

Is it really a "mod" if you're putting stock parts back on?

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

half stock, half open

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
You will get colder air from the stock setup which draws air from in front of the radiator instead of the open elements which suck in underhood air anyway.

The temp of the tubes/material the air flows through doesn't really matter. Air doesn't spend enough time in them or make enough contact with them to change much.

also, that open element setup looked pretty ghetto on an AMG. Going back to stock was better all around.

TSRH

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

U Caught The Gay

Quote:

Truth.

Ice

Quote:

++ That's why I will not install aftermarket intakes in my car. The air intake temperature jumps up 40+ degrees above ambient temp as soon as the car stopped. Bypassing the intake resonator will degrade the performance of your vehicle. It creates pressures and vacuums that are important to smooth acceleration. I despise K&N air filter though, especially the ones that require oiling. High efficiency dry air filter like AFE Pro Dry S or Amsoil's nanofiber is the way to go.

Typhoon43

Yeah I'm actually going to order new dry element filters. Not a fan of oiling K&N's, but that's what it came with and I happened to have a cleaning kit for it.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Where the hell are these sub-100k uids coming from? Its like someone set off a bug bomb and the roaches are scurrying from the walls.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Where the hell are these sub-100k uids coming from? Its like someone set off a bug bomb and the roaches are scurrying from the walls.

The forum is getting an injection of freshness. I like it.