General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Dsarthe

Marathon training and working out

I'm training for a marathon and I'll be running 4-5 times a week, probably 15-20 miles/week initially and an increase later on.

I'd like to also get some working out done, maybe 3 times a week, is it possible to get decent mass from working out combined with some pretty intense running? Also, I'm sure someone has done something similar to this, so any feedback?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:43 AM  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Coqui

Your two goals are contradictory.

You can't run marathons (extremely catabolic in nature) and gain mass at the same time. There's a reason good marathon runners are 120 pounds soaking wet for the males.

Also if you're starting out at around 3 miles a run, I hope you're giving yourself at least a couple of months

artificialswedner
artificialswedener
[M]an Jaw

Coqui is right, it will be impossible to gain mass while doing your marathon training. However, I'd still recommend keeping up with a strength training routine, as this helps prevent injury.

Also, unless you've been running consistently for a minimum of 12 months, I would not recommend marathon training. It's murder on your joints, even for experienced runners. If you're already there, set your marathon date (should be at least six months out) and find someone to give you a training program. I used the Runner's World Ultimate Marathon Training Plan and had some really good success with it before I got injured (my fault, not the plan's).

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...6946-0,00.html

I cannot stress enough how important it is to start slow. You have to ease your body into this or you will absolutely get hurt. Strength training, proper running form, and an excellent pair of shoes are essentials. You want to make sure you enjoy your training AND your race! Good luck!

el_diablo007

I've done both simultaneously, and would have to disagree a little with coqui and artificialswedner. You can definitely gain mass while training for a marathon but it depends on how fast you want to finish, and how dedicated you are to the race. You can aim for a slower marathon time and put more of your effort into strength training, but if your primary goal is a faster time, weight gain is pretty hard to do.

There are 4 things you MUST keep in mind/do:
1) Have a training plan. You can't just 'run x miles a week' until the race. It might work but you'll probably get injured somewhere along the way.

2) Strength training definitely decreased risk of injury but man you get really weak training for the marathon. I had almost no strength to lift while doing my running plan.

3) As long as you're training properly, eat as much carbohydrates as you're craving. You'll need all the energy you can get.

4) If you feel pain (and I mean PAIN, not discomfort), STOP. Injuries pre-race set you back considerably.

I gave myself 2.5 months to train for the thing, and had been running for about 5 months prior to the beginning of training. It was definitely the toughest physical thing I've ever done. I was gunning for a 3:35-3:45 time but fell short by quite a bit, gun time 3:57. Felt amazing after the run.

Oh yeah, if you do this the whole way properly, you'll get really lean come race day.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_diablo007 View Post
I've done both simultaneously, and would have to disagree a little with coqui and artificialswedner. You can definitely gain mass while training for a marathon but it depends on how fast you want to finish, and how dedicated you are to the race. You can aim for a slower marathon time and put more of your effort into strength training, but if your primary goal is a faster time, weight gain is pretty hard to do.

Keep in mind he asked to gain mass not to maintain mass. It is entirely possible to maintain mass while training for a marathon. (albeit difficult)

Retardedchicken

As long as you eat enough you can gain mass while training, though it may not be optimal for either strength training gains or faster running.

Aseras

everyone I know who runs marathons gains weight or stays the same however gaining muscle mass and looses fat. GF and I do half marathons and full marathons. Do a lot of stuff for Team in training.

Most of it is in training and diet. If you are running twice a week at least and eating right you wont loose weight period.

Coqui

I won't be able to provide more of a scientific approach regarding this because it is beyond my level of knowledge on the subject, however, here are some other people to consider from:

Quote:
With a proper diet and enough rest you can help minimize muscle loss while doing your training, but it�s rare to see people doing high volumes of cardio while packing on lean muscle tissue at the same time.

Recently researchers looked at the hormone response that took place after a marathon race in non-elite athletes and their findings help to back these points up.

The researchers drew blood samples one week before a marathon race was to take place, immediately after the race was finished, and then one week after the race was finished and recovery had taken place.

The results of the study indicated that the serum cortisol and prolactin were significantly higher in the time immediately after the race compared to before, but returned back down to more normal levels after the week of recovery had passed.

In addition to this, total testosterone as well as free testosterone also dropped significantly, indicating that this would put the body in a position not conducive to building lean muscle mass (since testosterone is the primary hormone that helps synthesize new muscle tissue). Again, testosterone levels were returned back to baseline one week after the race too place.
Charokopos, N, et al. (2008) Hormonal response to marathon running in non-elite athletes. Eur J Intern Med. Dec; 19(8):598-601.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Your two goals are contradictory.

You can't run marathons (extremely catabolic in nature) and gain mass at the same time. There's a reason good marathon runners are 120 pounds soaking wet for the males.

Also if you're starting out at around 3 miles a run, I hope you're giving yourself at least a couple of months

TSRH

I suppose this would really depend on what you want to get out of it. If you're running the marathon just for the hell of it and just to say you did it, than it doesn't really matter a whole lot. If you want to be competitive at the marathon and have a chance of winning, than lighter is better. It's one of the reasons being short is not a disadvantage in that sport as one might expect, since being shorter typically means being lighter, and being lighter means less heat generation.

Don't expect to be putting on mass either way. It's not gonna happen.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificialswedener View Post
I cannot stress enough how important it is to start slow. You have to ease your body into this or you will absolutely get hurt. Strength training, proper running form, and an excellent pair of shoes are essentials. You want to make sure you enjoy your training AND your race! Good luck!

This for sure. Starting too fast = shin splints = have fun running in extreme pain!

Bukkakeboy

Watch Eddie Izzard Marathon Man

a 3 episode series of a comedian in his 50's deciding to hop out of the couch and run something like 40 marathons in 50 days or sumt.

The effort of will is insane

gl man!

e: lul, running man :\

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

Last edited by Bukkakeboy; 05-27-2010 at 07:26 AM..

Bukkakeboy

I think he started running (never ran seriously before in his life) one month before he started the marathon marathon

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy