General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Trachei

Influential books that changed your life

The goal here is to make this a thread where we can share books that actually changed our lives. A lot of books you forget about, or you never really put into practice. Let's not share those books.

For me, I'm still reading the most influential book I've ever read. It's The Game by Neil Strauss. I'm sure many here have heard of PUA and probably this book. I bet some here have read it. But, for all the negative looks it gets from everyone here in the BC, I have actually found it to be one of the most powerful books I've ever read.

I've had sex before, I have a date Tuesday (she contacted me first), I even have a kid, but I have no game and if I could improve myself and find out what I was doing wrong, then I could change my life.

I've never been a PUA before, so the whole idea of Style (aka Neil Strauss) being able to turn his zero game into an extraordinary game, I had to give it a read. From reading this book, I've been able to make up my own interesting things to talk about, that isn't related to work, where she lives, or any other gay crap that no one really wants to talk about when they are trying to meet someone. I'm able to still find out those questions, but in a fun and interesting way (I created a personality test for it).

Since I'm still reading, I haven't put much into practice in the club (I've only been out to a club once since starting to read it). But, when talking with friends, some of whom are women, I've tested my own personality tests that I created, and they have all been eating out of my hand as I tell them. It allows me to branch out and really get a conversation going instead of trying to create an artificial conversation about how I go to school here and this is what I'm studying.

My first night out I tried some of the lines/games/magic that he talks about in the book and I ended up chatting with the hottest blonde in the whole room (who came with 2 other blazing hunny bunnies). My friend (he is really good looking and if he worked his game up he could get any girl) didn't even want to approach them since he figured they get approached by everyone. They were approached by another trio set of guys, but they crashed and burned. As I tried to open and tell my jokes, games, magic, etc. it turned out that she knew all my jokes, magic, etc. since they were in the book, but we ended up laughing about it and talking. So, everyone had approach anxiety since they were the hottest girls in the club, but they were really friendly and nice once I talked to them.

I got shut down a few times that night, but it was my first time out and it's like trying to swim for the first time ever. I told one girl the same game that I told the blonde and she totally called me out in a bitchy way. My friend and I laughed about it all night since it was so obvious that I should have known. They were sitting right next to the blonde the whole time I ran my game.....hahahahha. If it wasn't my first time out, and if I had finished reading I could have more things to mention, but I'm only half way through.

But, overall, I never really went up to girls in the club before. I never really approach girls at all, I always waited for a girl to come at me. So, this is a nice change. It definitely gives me the confidence that I know what I can talk about to make an interesting conversation. Trust me, if you read this book, you are going to have a new outlook on how to approach women, have more confidence, know how to talk to people in general, and I believe have a more fulfilling life.

The book to me isn't about memorizing lines. There are some things I will memorize, but the more I do it, the LESS I have to memorize. It's like playing a video game. At first you have to learn the commands and figure out the controls. But, as you play, you get better and you no longer need that keymap, you already know what to do. It's sort of like that in my view, and Style goes into so much more than talking about women in this book.

Oh, I'm a geek too.

Last edited by Dominion; 01-14-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: removed amazon link. People can research it themselves if they want to buy it., fixed formatting. Completely unnecessary

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acidfast7

I've been reading a lot of "classics" lately, and I know this sounds lame, but I find a lot of practical knowledge in them.

the last two were:

Vatsyayana: Kama Sutra
Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment

I guess, they've been useful for similar reasons as described above. They really get into the psychology of dealing with people.

Kama Sutra in dealing with opposite sex, albeit in a beat-you-over-the-head fashion, probably just a 2000 year old version of The Game. Crime and Punishment has been useful for dealing with negotiations and leveraging conversations to work in your favor.

I know it sounds lame, but they've both been very valuable.

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachei View Post

The Game
this is what i was gonna say.

my reaction was, "i knew it!" when i was reading about body language and signs of attraction. definately one to read.

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

Trachei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
this is what i was gonna say.

my reaction was, "i knew it!" when i was reading about body language and signs of attraction. definately one to read.

Yeah. I was never taught ANY of this stuff by anyone. Everyone just says, "have confidence". Well, shit, you can't have confidence if you don't know wtf to do. Everyone I know has been put off by the idea of the book as if it is just a book of lines to trick women. It's the FARTHEST thing from this.

This is the book that actually got me back into reading.

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

most fun book i've ever read, to be honest.

i'm currently reading it for the second time, a chapter every night before bed.

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

Trachei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
most fun book i've ever read, to be honest.

i'm currently reading it for the second time, a chapter every night before bed.

Yeah, I started taking notes at first, then I stopped. I'm just going to enjoy the story, then take notes, and move on to the other books. I have a lot more confidence with my stories when I make them up myself. Like how Style put down Tyler Durden for not having his own personality and just being a line regurgitator (where I'm at right now in the book).

laz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachei View Post
Yeah a 5k is a spammer

Is that still relevant?

As for the topic: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury changed my outlook on what a book can provide and fostered in me a deep respect for the novel when I read it at age 13 or 14 which still lasts to today.
Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut totally upended my understanding of what fiction can be with his brilliant, dark and cynical sense of humor. I'd never laughed uncontrollably as often as I had when reading these two books as I'd ever had prior or after. The only book that comes close, very very close, is Catch-22.

And lastly, a nonfiction book, A Peoples History of the United States of America by Howard Zinn was a punch in the face in just how 'colorful' US history is. Do yourself a favor and read it up through WWII.

drx
Kruz3n

Boston's Gun Bible

wilse

i thought advertising that pua crap was banned here

Dominion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post
i thought advertising that pua crap was banned here

No, shoving it down the throat of every person who asks for advice about dating is banned here. Some PUA theory is relevant, and not discouraged directly, when people start posting and are using a ton of PUA lingo, that's frowned upon, as this is a laymens forum for people that aren't looking to just fuck anything with legs, and are often looking for a solution to their problems.

There are Pick up Artist forums, if that's your thing... but this is not a PUA forum.

However, the OP is discussing books that had an effect on his life. That is relevant here. Context is always important, and often overlooked.

aoeoae

I've skimmed through The Game. I'd say that while not exactly PUA tricks, it does emphasize one kind of sitcomesque, gimmicky-masculine lifestyle, and focuses on attracting one type of hip, nightlife-loving female. I don't think it conceals that intent though, given its title. It's dangerous because it can lead readers on with a false premise though. A girlfriend won't simultaneously resolve being a loser/pussy/bore, and when the "game" ends, a male can end up even more hollow.

As for my books: The Intelligent Investor (TII) and maybe No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover. TII helped me gauge my decisions better and led to me to rely on historical data in any kind of decision, and NMMNG was a remarkable retelling of my upbringing and frank methods of recovering from the wreckage. Elements of Style deserves a spot because it's improved my communication (orally and written), and Skunk Works because it was the first aviation book I read (9th grade). Last would be The Untethered Soul, a book about happiness. It's a lot of new age "crap," chakra and all that, but the point isn't to take it literally (like actual floaty things passing through your body) but just as a convenient shorthand to describe emotional experiences (compare to "butterflies in your chest" or "knot in your stomach"). It's a lot about chilling out and accepting things, but also empowers you to realize that you decide to be happy, or not.

There are plenty of other books I really like, but I wouldn't consider them influential in my life.

yolo

also with aoeoae on Intelligent investor, I was fortunate to read it BEFORE the great recession, and made a very nice return as of March. There is timeless investment advice there, and it works.

On Wings of Eagles, by Ken Follett. 1980 story about Ross Perot's company which had 2 workers in Tehran at the time of the Shah Revolution. It's about how he hired mercenaries to rescue his workers out of prison in the middle of the revolution. Utterly fascinating and makes you want to grow balls of steel like that retired green beret colonel running the rescue. I read it in 2 days.

If you think The Game was good, try reading Gambler's natural game. You don't need an open mind for his e-book and diary, they will open your mind. His photos from 2001 to present are proof that he is no bs, and really knows how to connect with women on a good and healthy level. The only tactic he has is "get out there and keep pushing yourself". Go immerse yourself in a night club you've never been to. Reevaluate any negative thoughts you have about meeting new people. The best part is the natural conversation section, where I found myself saying "wow... he is definitely right about this." A very motivational work.

Aseras

Between XX and XY: Intersexuality and the Myth of Two Sexes

One of the better books out there about intersex.

For really. They few people here who know me will know why. Plus it should cause some degree of discussion.

xagent

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Well, I was already pretty much into politics around that time, borderline libertarian/Republican.I'd kept hearing about Atlas Shrugged, decided to read it, and loved it.

laz

I forgot to add Nineteen Eighty Four to my previous list. I was told to read it around the same time the Patriot Act was passed and I was surprised to find just how insightful, if not from sheer luck, Eric Arthur Blair (aka George Orwell) was. I next read Animal Farm in one sitting to further reinforce the horrors of totalitarian political systems.