General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Bill

Champions Online going Free-to-Play in 2011

(With micro transactions of course)

Quote:
Beginning Q1 2011, Champions Online will offer a free-to-play gameplay option. Everyone can download, play and enjoy Champions Online at absolutely no cost!

All you’ll need to do is download the game and begin playing. It will be a great opportunity to head back to the Champions universe to see what’s changed, spend time with your friends and enjoy a top-tier MMO without spending a dime.
Here is the current microtransaction store ($12.50 USD for 1000 points.) In summary, there is nothing that "makes your guy better." Most things are cosmetic, but the big options are additional character slots ($15 for 4) and a full respec ($12.50.) (I'm not sure how it works in CO, but in CoH respecs were available as rewards from difficult group quest chains and also purchasable with microtransactions, so this may just be a convenience option.)

Here is the feature matrix for what you miss out on for not paying $15/month.
  • Your character will only get to pick from predefined "archetype" lists of powers rather than picking anything you want. "You can pick anything" was a selling point of CO, so restricting choices to free accounts may actually make the game less fun or interesting.
  • Their regular content updates (CoH "chapters"--story quests) will be "purchasable."
  • Restricted bag space for annoyance.

And finally Here is the actual FAQ, but I've tried to cover everything gameplay-relevant above.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Bill

I think its a safe guess that Cataclysm is delivering the death blow to this MMO launched with an incomplete game and technical issues. (Hurr.) As F2P I might check it out and see if it still hates my video card. Honestly I'm not expecting much.

This is their retard game. The "precursor" City of Heroes just had a new expansion released and is still pay-to-play. For what its worth, it was also a lot more fun than the CO beta, but I never did play CO past the beta. They dropped the Star Trek MMO (a buggy, terrible mess) on top of their other recently-released buggy, terrible mess (CO) and it would seem that their original MMO (CoH) is currently the most successful, having just released a brand new, full priced expansion.