General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve
ok, I'm getting more confident with my riding, and that of course results in larger lean angles (CBR600). Sadly, I'm finding that I get spooked because as I lean, my foot (front of my foot, not the peg) will sometimes drag, startling me. Is there any modification/etc to make it so that you can lean farther wihtout the peg/foot dragging? Or is there something I should be doing?
The balls of your feet (at least the inside food) should be on the pegs when leaning
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SNaray8442

I need to find a good starter bike for under $1500 in Austin soon, I really want to join the [M] Bike crew

Last edited by SNaray8442; 08-21-2006 at 01:31 AM..

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by K600
I started on a ZX6E and I'm still around. The only wreck I've had was intentionally caused by someone else.

It's not twitchy by any means...it takes a lot of stupidity to fuck up with the throttle on that.

guess it's different from my CBR. Throttle is pretty twitchy, especially in 1st orf second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
The balls of your feet (at least the inside food) should be on the pegs when leaning

mmmkay
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
you're goign to die fatal

wait are you being serious?

McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaray8442
I need to find a good starter bike for under $1500 in Austin soon, I really want to join the [M] Bike crew

You want mine?

Fatal

Quote:
you're goign to die fatal
lol, I think you and fastgeek have pounded that into my head already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
How about a parking lot to practice turning & stopping drills?
Ack, after the MSF, I don't ever want to see another parking lot AGAIN!

Heh, just kidding. I have done a little practice and the weight of the bike is going to take some getting used to in slow speed maneuvers. On the TW at the MSF, it was cake. I was a pro, but the bike weighed 260 lbs.... Stopping is very comfortable. The front brake takes whatever I throw at it and I haven't locked the rear yet.
Quote:
guess it's different from my CBR. Throttle is pretty twitchy, especially in 1st orf second.
I have yet to find a first gear that isn't twitcthy...even the MSF bikes had twitchy first gears. It is the nature of the gearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaray8442
That's how much my bike cost. I was looking around for one of the bikes on the list for this price, but I never really did like their styling. Of course when I found a sub 2k ZX6, I had to bite. I drove 2 hours to check it out and here I am today. This was after a month or so of looking, though....

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR

wait are you being serious?

no experience, 600cc sportsbike (I4), twitchy bike, etc...
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
I started learned and started on a Ducati 749
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

lopoetve

Quote:
I started learned and started on a Ducati 749

Yeah, but you're OneWhoKnows.

He's fatal.

See the difference?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

McKnight

Quote:

How are you any different than the people that talk to me at gas stations that know nothing about bikes other than they know someone who knew someone who died on one saying the exact same thing?

They just want to find a way to wedge in what they wanted to say when they saw me...." hah youre going to die. Bye now." Makes me want to slap someone. Funny no one has had enough balls to stay around after saying that to me instead of running away in their truck. Try to be a little deeper than them alright.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Yeah, but you're OneWhoKnows.

He's fatal.

See the difference?

I think he'll be OK. No matter how twitchy a throttle is, it doesn't make a difference if you stay out of the powerband and keep it under ~6k RPMs.

lopoetve

Quote:

I think he'll be OK. No matter how twitchy a throttle is, it doesn't make a difference if you stay out of the powerband and keep it under ~6k RPMs.

true, but do you realistically expect anyone to do that? It's too much fun above 6k.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
How are you any different than the people that talk to me at gas stations that know nothing about bikes other than they know someone who knew someone who died on one saying the exact same thing?

They just want to find a way to wedge in what they wanted to say when they saw me...." hah youre going to die. Bye now." Makes me want to slap someone. Funny no one has had enough balls to stay around after saying that to me instead of running away in their truck. Try to be a little deeper than them alright.

Maybe because I ride one?

It's a lot easier to make a mistake on a bike like that, especially when you're trying to take the skills you just learned in the MSF and apply them to riding on the street. Looking through turns, leaning, countersteering, rolling on the throttle, traffic, etc... all happen a LOT faster on a bike like that, and there's much less margin for error. Especially on the throttle and the brakes.

Now, I ALSO know Fatal pretty well from #cartalk, and we've been ribbing him on this one for quite a while. It's all in good fun, and he knows that.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Squeeky
My love muffin <3 Pinkys Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal
Stopping is very comfortable. The front brake takes whatever I throw at it and I haven't locked the rear yet.

I took my bike to a parking lot the day after I got it, and purposely locked the rear to see how it felt.

I'm not saying wind it up through 2nd gear and then purposely slam on the rear brake. Just practice slowly applying more and more pressure until you're right at the limit. I learned I could use a lot of rear brake when scrubbing off a bit of speed before a turn, but coming up to a stoplight I learned that it's very easy to lock up the rear when the front end is loaded up. Scared the shit out of me.

lopoetve

The rear on the CBR locks up FAST. I have to be UBER gentle on that, especially heading down hill. I locked it up today at about 45mph, scared the shit out of me... Didn't dump it though, and I know to be even more careful on any significant grade (was on 8%) next time. The front is very very hard to lock up, though. Same as squeeky said, when stopping, or on a grade, the rear is really twitchy.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.