General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixomatosys View Post
dude. do you really think this was a strategy by IW to fuck over gamers? do you really think there was malicious intent behind this?

its going to cost them MORE to make a fully functioning matchmaking system on pc, then just let there be a server list.

l4d had a matchmaking system, where was the boycott there? seemed like it worked out fine for that.

Yes, because this way they control content. They can charge PC users for DLCs, while taking away our ability to customize the game into what we want.

They priced the game at $60, same as console. They are setting up matchmaking, just like the console. They will charge $20 for a map pack, just like the console.

L4D has dedicated servers, Valve added matchmaking. Servers are still hosted the same way as always. It isn't any of this P2P crap like MW2 is using.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ryanvsrobots

60 bucks on pc? no dedicated? screw that i'll see them in mexico

www.lovethatsound.com

Gr33n

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Funny but they could have at least proof read it once before they posted it.

3nk1du

Worst Hitler Video Ever.

Heywood

Gabbo

Quote:
dude. do you really think this was a strategy by IW to fuck over gamers? do you really think there was malicious intent behind this?

its going to cost them MORE to make a fully functioning matchmaking system on pc, then just let there be a server list.

l4d had a matchmaking system, where was the boycott there? seemed like it worked out fine for that.

How is it going to cost more? They already have code written for two other platforms. they'll just use that as a base to work from. They're not going to recreate the wheel for their smallest audience.

rubioso

$60 game. Steam offers no pre-order sale. No dedicated servers will make this game very unstable on multi-player. Big disappointment.

Cyklik

Quote:

I don't think you understand the difference between a server browser and a dedicated server. L4D has dedicated servers along with matchmaking. PC gamers are upset over the lack of dedicated server support, not the fact that they are adding matchmaking. Matchmaking is a fine addition for the gamers that care more about a quick game than they do playing a game with settings more to their liking and a community that they know. The problem is that most people criticizing this reaction are failing to realize that you can have matchmaking and dedicated servers and a server browser all together in the same game.

The decision to not support dedicated servers and a server browser alongside their new matchmaking system had absolutely nothing to do with a fear of fragmenting the playerbase. This was done to build a system in which they could finally force PC gamers to pay if they want new content.

Edit: So yes, I guess this is in fact a strategy developed to fuck over gamers... or at least their wallets.

beavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post

Yes, because this way they control content. They can charge PC users for DLCs, while taking away our ability to customize the game into what we want.

They priced the game at $60, same as console. They are setting up matchmaking, just like the console. They will charge $20 for a map pack, just like the console.

L4D has dedicated servers, Valve added matchmaking. Servers are still hosted the same way as always. It isn't any of this P2P crap like MW2 is using.

map packs are $10 on the console

but yeah, if i was a big PC gamer, i would see the issue with this.

-GOB

Pico
i fuck retarded people

this is a step back in online play and uncalled for, they are being lazy and using similar code from the console game in the PC one. I'm getting it on xbox but id never buy a PC game like this.

Pico
i fuck retarded people

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nk1du View Post
1/3 of the people who signed will still buy it
so they miss out on $4mil? idk what they make over at IW but 4mil would pay several salaries and give enough time to implement everything people want

rich4rdee

i bet that not only are they going to charge for map packs, but they'll have included advertising on iwnet. (gamespy with a server list?)

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyklik View Post
I don't think you understand the difference between a server browser and a dedicated server. L4D has dedicated servers along with matchmaking. PC gamers are upset over the lack of dedicated server support, not the fact that they are adding matchmaking. Matchmaking is a fine addition for the gamers that care more about a quick game than they do playing a game with settings more to their liking and a community that they know. The problem is that most people criticizing this reaction are failing to realize that you can have matchmaking and dedicated servers and a server browser all together in the same game.

The decision to not support dedicated servers and a server browser alongside their new matchmaking system had absolutely nothing to do with a fear of fragmenting the playerbase. This was done to build a system in which they could finally force PC gamers to pay if they want new content.

Edit: So yes, I guess this is in fact a strategy developed to fuck over gamers... or at least their wallets.

tsrh. Couldn't have said it better.

Gabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4rdee View Post
i bet that not only are they going to charge for map packs, but they'll have included advertising on iwnet. (gamespy with a server list?)

Rumored PC specs for MW2 put it somewhere between 12-16 gb's.
Odds are those DLC are already in there, and they'll force players to pay to unlock it.

Last edited by Gabbo; 10-25-2009 at 10:19 PM..

THESNIPERINTHEGRASS

I CANT WAIT!!!

Finally the new COD is almost here! I am never gonna leave my house!

Check out this trailer that I made guys and let me know what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrncrECfRLI